Network IP question

Okay, I am pulling my hair out with this one so I’m hoping one of you networking geniuses can help me out. I help manage a small office network. On it we have a NAS drive to backup photos used every day. IP address is 10.10.27.106 which is reserved for itself. No problem so far. The NAS is also on a wireless network. Here’s the problem. I have a new user and when he connects wirelessly to the network, it wants to assign him 10.10.27.106 as well. No problem I think, I’ll just got into TCP/IP settings and assign him an open IP address for him to use each time, so I go with 10.10.27.150. Reboot his system and it is back to 10.10.27.106! Firewall isn’t an issue as i tried turning it off completely to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

How do you normally do the ip addressing on your network?

Couldn’t you go into whatever is handing out wireless IPs and take 10.10.27.106 out of the range of IPs that will be assigned?

I’m missing part of the info to help you. Is this DHCP? It sounds like it is. The key words you are telling me is that he is a new user. He’s probably set for DHCP as well. The NAS sounds like you set it for static, but you never removed that IP address on the DHCP server with what is known as a “reservation.”

If this is all static, and what you are saying is that his static settings revert to what they were previously, then it sounds like you are doing this without admin rights, since it’s not keeping the change.

Could either of those be your issue?

Yeah, at my house I have addresses 2-245 available for distribution by DHCP. On any given node, you have 255 available addresses. This way I have 10 addresses reserved (the last 10 in the stack) for static IP addresses for my NAS, print server, and Tivo (and whatever else).

Correction: Your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, so you have the last dot number range of 0-255 available to you…except, .0 and .255 are reserved, so you only have 254 numbers (1-254) available to be assigned. (.0 is reserved as the network ID, and .255 is the subnet broadcast address.) Wiki link.

Dig it. My bad. You also typically use .1 as the gateway address on the router, which takes another.

Sounds like you’re using DHCP and the NAS is in the range. If no one accesses the NAS by raw IP, just change it over to DHCP as well and let the DHCP server handle it. Otherwise get a proper static range configured.

H.