Network Media Sharing

I cannot figure out how to get access to the media files on my desktop over my home’s wifi network. I think I’ve figured out why, I just can’t figure out how.

The desktop/media server is connected directly via Ethernet to my modem, and therefore not connected to the wifi network. I’ve got the Linksys Velop mesh for wifi, and the main node is connected to the modem as well (I’m guessing it’s technically in “bridge mode” though I never really set it as such). My wife would like to stream videos from the desktop to the Surface tablet, but even though I’ve got Media Sharing turned on, the Surface doesn’t see the desktop.

There’s got to be a way to have a Shared wired device appear on the wireless network, no?

It isn’t properly in bridge mode if more than one port gives connectivity. What I would suggest is to set the modem in bridge mode and then plug your computer into the second ethernet port on the router (velop). If you need more ports on the velop, use a cheap switch.

Thanks, Stusser. Like I said, I’m not certain the router is in bridge mode. I’ve got the SmartRG SR505N. On the Wireless – Bridge page, it says:

This page allows you to configure the wireless bridge features for the wireless LAN interface. Selecting ‘Wireless Bridge’ (also known as Wireless Distribution System) for ‘AP Mode’ will disable access point functionality. Selecting ‘Access Point’ for ‘AP Mode’ will enable access point functionality. Wireless bridge functionality will still be available and wireless stations will be able to associate to the Access Point. Select ‘Disabled’ for ‘Bridge Restrict’ to disable wireless bridge restriction, and any wireless bridge will be granted access. Selecting ‘Enabled’ or ‘Enabled(Scan)’ enables the wireless bridge restriction, and only those bridges specified by ‘Remote Bridges MAC Address’ will be granted access.

I’m no dummy but I don’t understand that at all. I think I have it set correctly: I’ve got AP Mode set to Wireless Bridge, and Bridge Restrict set to Disabled.

Will doing as you suggest limit my throughput to wireless speeds and add another device (the desktop) to the wireless network?

So if I’m understanding what you have setup

So you have two things that can control a network - the modem/router combo and your Linksys router/mesh/thingy. Right now both are - the modem is assigning network addresses (aka it is NOT in bridge mode) to your PC and the Linksys. And then the Linksys is creating an entirely separate network and assigning its own addresses to the things connecting to it. Anything on the modem network only sees the Linksys and has no idea what’s behind it. Similarly, things on the Linksys network have no idea what’s outside the Linksys .

Your options are:

• Have the modem control the network, so you need to set the Linksys to bridge/repeater/whatever they call it in the settings - it only acts as the wireless arm and passes network settings from the modem
  • Actually set the modem to bridge mode, and connect the PC to the Linksys.
  • Suboptimally, you can just plug the PC into the Linksys right now without changing any settings, but this is suboptimal because it creates a “double NAT” - internet -> modem network -> linksys network -> actual devices

LMAO looking at the manual for that - that is not a friendly modem/router at all. And whatever it’s calling a wireless bridge is actually an on/off switch for its built-in wifi network.

Ok, so I’ve simply pulled the cable from the modem and plugged it into the Velop, and it’s working. Though, the desktop is now on the wireless network. I guess this is the “double NAT” @fdsaion describes. That network map you’ve drawn is precisely how I’ve got things set up.

And yeah, you’re right. This modem sucks 100 ways from Sunday.

I’d rather not live with “suboptimal” if there’s a better way to set this bugger up.

So to put the modem into a real bridge mode is on the Advanced -> WAN Settings page.

However, given the absolutely shit GUI for this modem, it looks like to get it into bridge mode, you need to delete the existing WAN connection (basically the configuration for connecting to the internet), then add a new WAN connection, of which you have an option of “Bridging”. Then you need to setup the Linksys with the correct settings to connect to the internet.

I don’t think I would recommend this given the mess of the GUI and its dozens of setup fields.

You should be able to get your Linksys to bridge and pass along the network of the modem
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=243548

I don’t think I want to do that. As I understand it, if I put the Linksys into bridge mode, I’ll be using the wireless from the modem rather than the Linksys. And that’s why I bought the mesh system; the wireless on the modem sucks.

I’m thinking I might just call my ISP (Primus.ca) and have them either send me a new/better modem or help me put this POS into bridge mode.

In a related note… do I really have to use Windows Media Player on the Surface to browse/stream media from the desktop? There’s got to be a better way… File Explorer would be preferred, but it opens WMP.

The wireless functionality != network control. Setting the Linksys to bridge cedes control so its only acting as a wireless connection point. Set the router’s incorrectly named Wireless → Wireless Bridge → AP Mode to wireless bridge to turn off its wireless functionality if you think its signal interferes.

Though this might be more complicated because that modem’s config does appear to be shit so who knows what its actually doing.

I suggest Plex and then you can forget about all this nonsense!

I use Plex! It’s great for what it does.

In this situation, however, my wife is looking to stream some 20GB+ of Home Videos. Plex doesn’t do Home Videos.

Yes it does.

Yeah, it’ll stream whatever, but you still don’t want to go out to the internet, to Plex’s servers, and then back to your house to stream something that’s physically 100 feet away. Makes more sense to fix your network.

@fdsaion great posts btw.

Well, after nearly 2 hours on the phone with the ISP, they were able to figure out how to bridge the modem. Everything working nicely now, more or less!