Networking Question on Long Ethernet Cables

Not sure about the modem, but this is my router:

And this is my switch:

So looks like they are, yeah.

Fo you rent the modem? you should consider purchasing your own. They’re not that expensive (~<$100), and you can end up paying for the thing a few times over even if the rental fee is only a few dollars.

I am considering that as well. I’m gonna see what they give me when I go in. Already have a Motorola in my Amazon cart. I did just get laid off, and am trying to avoid big expenses, so yeah, if they give me a good modem that solves the problem, then yay.

Brian, sorry to hear about the lay off. I’ve been there and it sucks. Keep plugging away and something will turn up. If I can make a recommendation, I will. Check my LinkedIn and see if there is anything I can do as far as introductions, etc.

Oh I’m focusing on self-employment now. Trying to need up my channel, and gonna launch a freelance effort in which I help indie devs with their SEO/marketing efforts. I don’t wanna work on an office again.

The routers you have look fine. I was just wondering if it is one of the components not rated for gigabit ethernet.

I gotcha, they seem to be, yeah.

You must have a huge apartment. 250 feet is no joke. For aesthetics alone, I’d consider a power line or wireless adapter setup. That much cable snaking around baseboards must stand out.

It doesn’t thankfully. They’re all white, and I found these little clasps that nail into the boards to keep the wiring out of the way. It’s the fact that it has to go around our entryway and over two doorframes (the cable in our place is in a weeeeeird location) that necessitates the length.

At least here Spectrum got rid of their rental fees, so check your bill before buying a new one. The router they gave me a month or so back is DOCSIS 3.1 and has been solid.

I’ve been seeing this in my research and do plan to ask about it.

You have a lot of devices between your desktop and the modem. Modem-router-switch-switch-PC? Theoretically fine but a lot of switching.

Can you get a strong 5Ghz signal in your PC room? What does your cell phone speet test app give in terms of data rate and ping? Consider a PCIe wi-fi card.

ARRIS TM1602

Well this one was mine, and guess what, I replaced that one with another one that was on the list… also Spectrum. ugh. Good to know. I guess it will be on the list.

Ping: 11ms
Down: 32.9 Mbps
Up: 8.65 Mbps

Oh god no, there are a billion walls between here and the router.

I hear ya, sadly it’s my best option where I live.

So you guys, I got a new modem from Spectrum (Docsis3.1, Broadcom chipset and all that) plus a new ethernet cable coupler and a switch to put near the PC, so now I’ve a switch at both ends of this long connection (as suggested on another forum). I used the “ping.exe -t 8.8.8.8 | Foreach {”{0} - {1}" -f (Get-Date),$_}" command in Powershell, and the highest ping I got after letting it go for 20 minutes was 22ms, the lowest was 9. I’d say that’s progress! Yay!