Neuromancer enters preproduction

Zylon, dude, let me start from the beginning. Sinnick made the joke about the opening lines referring to blue skies which yes, I do now grasp, thanks. My reference to amusement was due to the fact that I, having read the book in the 80s as I assume most of us did, thought of static. But sinnick’s remark could also be literally true, since someone completely new to the story might well put it on current context, where as bluemax pointed out, static no longer really exists. Apologies for any perceived density.

It’s kinda funny how a “snow crash” is now also a blue screen…

But that is an incredibly minor part of the story. The actual details of the technology presented by Neuromancer are not important, which is why I feel it aged so well.

(Spoilers I guess)

Yeah, the concept of cyberspace as a 3D thing is very outdated but that wasn’t the best part of the story anyways (I read it for the first time around 2008).

The sprawls and all the weird shit from the book are still great, like the inbred megacorp family, the crazy rastafarians and and the illusionist dude. I’m not even sure I understood the ending at all, but I thought the world was great.

Is a 3d cyberspace outdated? I suppose. But it could still be seen as futuristic too. Some day, we’ll swim through cyberspace (or fly…whatever) instead of having to type. Why? Ummm…I don’t know. Maybe it’s the only way to get to the good info. Only slicers/splicers/hackers/deckers/etc. can do it.

True, but it’s the part that it’s most known for.

Yes, it could be seen as futuristic since it never really was deployed on a large scale like the web. But for me it’s weird to imagine that hackers would use the cyberspace, instead of dealing with low level stuff, since cyberspace is only a very abstract representation of the data you’re dealing with.

I am a big fat fucking Vincenzo Natali fan (I loved – yes, loved – Splice), so this interview with him has me quite optimistic.

VERY EXCITED.

This is the book where the protagonist’s strung-out ex nicks the 2MB RAM he’s smuggling, right? :p

Real-world interwebs & Neuromancer’s cyberspace are very different things. You do not send your consciousness out of your body and into the wires to post on Qt3. In the world of Neuromancer, you do.
The 3d pseudo-world stuff is perhaps not so ridiculous seen in that context, because the way we [can] interface with cyberspace is very different from the way people [can] interface with cyberspace in Neuromancer’s universe.

I always figured the point of an abstract cyberspace was to communicate the underlying nature of cognition and how it subverts the strict parameters of content. It opens a space for symbols and allows hackers to be their manifestos instead of the particular strings in their zero day exploits. Which I guess is very “now”? It’s less about the nuts and bolts of what the philosopher-hackers get up to, and more about why they do it and how it filters through to the rest of us through a malthusian lens of technology as ideology. I mean, Paprika is a movie about ideological hackers, it just excuses its particularly tangible metaphysics by mentioning dreams.

Well, there are quite a few things from the story that will probably end up changed in the transition to film - off the top of my head I am thinking of the illusion dude’s little performance art, which would be pretty gruesome if shown as-is. But I can’t wait to see stuff like the Villa Straylight. This could be amazing.

I’d like to see them do Snow Crash. They could do some cool things with the metaverse, and the opening pizza delivery sequence is perfect for the movies.

Sweet. Like Blade Runner is exactly the right sort of angle to shoot for.

Hope this gets made!

Actually, you are continuing in a very fine vein of cyberspatial deconstructionism. Carry on.

You haven’t seen many Vincenzo Natali movies, have you?

We could input the same query into Google and get radically different depictions of reality because of our (un)willing occupancy of conflicting frames in the depiction of reality. We are genuinely developing different scopes of experience by virtue of some dull algorithm figuring itself kismet to one and all.

So you can look at this treacle and say “This is how it does!”. Or you can look at it and say “This is what it does!”. And I think Gibson works from the latter.

I think you are working from the latter part of your butt.

(Or perhaps, “Son, I was a-readin’ Neuromancer back in nineteen-eighty-frickin-six. Don’t try to teach yer daddy how to subjectivize memetics!”)

Yes yes, you’re a dad now, well done.

I’m just saying, if your point is that cyberspace is a subjective linguistic projection, then yes, you’re clearly right, but you’ve got to realize that language itself is subjective, and in fact that cyberspace is language.

And this is not a new observation:

If you knew your history, then you would know where I’m comin’ from.

(Or maybe you do know, and I’ve been too busy giving you shit to listen, in which case thank you very deeply for your patience with my juvenile behavior.)

None, actually.