Neuromancer enters preproduction

That was really the only part of the movie I liked. I kind of wish they’d done a whole movie about that instead.

Anyone ever seen Abel Ferrara’s New Rose Hotel? I’m sure everyone will think I’m nuts, but I thought that was a decent take on Gibson - plus it’s got Final Fantasy artist Yoshitaka Amano playing the scientist they target for abduction.

I have, and you are nuts.

I avoided that, after the travesty that was Johnny Mnemonic.

You’ll find me in the coming Melancholia thread!

I love previews of coming attractions!

Good points.

Suddenly, I can actually picture a quite good Michael Bay (more palatably - Ridley Scott) Neuromancer.

After all, it’s mostly action set pieces (Case on the run at the beginning, the Panther Modern run to get the Dixie Flatline, the run on the space station) with a grimy patina of subtext and metaphor.

Maas and Hosaka are two large Corporations in the future world. They are fighting to get control over the best minds of the world.

Sandii is a little Italian girl from Japan and she should be the way to get to Hiroshi. X is the man who should train Sandii to break Hiroshi’s Heart. But if X falls in love with Sandii? And if the Hosaka Corporation breaks the agreement? And if Sandii is not a little Italian girl?

Those two 'i’s are weirding me out.

Gamer is one of those films where the creators all seem to have nothing but contempt for the source material, except for one creative designer who manages to cry out from his desktop.

What if Blade Runner 2049 was a huge hit for Warner Brothers? If you were a rival studio, you would want some kind of cybernoir classic in your stable, right? Looks like Fox hired the director of Deadpool, Tim Miller, and possibly his sizzle reel geniuses at Blur to make sure that Neuromancer continues in preproduction, and maybe even gets into actual production soon.

I feel like this movie missed its window by about 20 years. Every unique concept in Neuromancer is laughably dated by now.

EDIT: On re-reading this thread, including my criticisms of it.

Actually, tech wise, Neuromancer is finally hitting its window. Now they can do it justice and the “dated” concepts can easily be updated. Im looking forward to seeing if they can finally get this done.

One of the most cinematic, memorable images in Neuromancer is when Case is walking by a bank of payphones, and each one rings as he walks past it (because Wintermute is trying to get him to do the job). What a great moment.

But it’s a bank of payphones. When’s the last time you saw a bank of payphones?

Also, while, in some respects, Neuromancer is a pretty straightforward heist story, which could easily be made into a movie (not too different from Inception, really), in other ways… it isn’t. Do you remember what it was they were trying to steal? Who was trying to stop them? And most importantly, what the actual result of the heist was in the end? It’s pretty subtle, actually. I’m not sure how you could get it across in a film, and I expect they won’t really try.

Maybe they should just do the Bigend trilogy instead. It’s more up-to-date, and very cinematic. Or The Peripheral. Ok, maybe not The Peripheral.

From what I remember there were “multiple” heists in the story.

So it’s missing the script, and then the studio has to give it a green light?

If they don’t use any tracks from “Transverse City” by Warren Zevon, I’ll be highly disappointed.

Grab your flechette pistol, slot your 12 MEGABYTE data drive into your Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7, because we be hacking Mitsubishi Bank of America.

Please, Emily Blunt as Molly.