Neuroshima Hex - November league

Playoffs:

[1] Clyve
[4] Joe Bolt

[2] Hereafter
[3] prolix

Welcome to the Neuroshima Hex November league page! It’s never too late to join. Just send me a PM that includes your Game Center name.

Will update lists and FAQ and such later. For now, feel free to challenge each other like normal.

[B]
Previous winners[/B]

Lantz
soondifferent
Tim James
Dave Perkins
Joe Bolt
clyve

Key: Each player’s number of wins is given for each team. The maximum number of wins with a team is 9. Each loss is marked with an x. See the FAQ in post 2 for scoring rules.

B = Borgo (Blue)
R = Moloch (Red)
G = Outpost (Green)
Y = The Hegemony (Yellow)
J = Neojungle (Olive)
N = New York (Violet)
S = Smart (White)
V = Vegas (Brown)
P = Steel Police (Purple)

B R G Y J N S V P Badges/Losses

prolix (unprolix)               [B] +9[/B] | 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 5 [+1] <+1> xxx
clyve                           [B] +8[/B] | 1 3 2 1 0 0 2 2 1 [+2] <+1> xxxxxxx
Hereafter (Thenafter)           [B] +7[/B] | 1 2 1 0 0 0 2 0 2 {+1} <+2> <+1> [+1] xxxxxx
Joe Bolt (josephbolt22)          [B]+4[/B] | 1 2 1 1 0 2 0 0 0 <+2> <+1> [+1] xxxxxxx
Dave Perkins (Ananab Tilps)     [B] +3[/B] | 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 <+2> [+1] xxxxxx
Vesper                           [B]-1[/B] | 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 <+2> [+1] xxxxxxxxx
Pastose                          [B]-1[/B] | 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 xxxx
bigdruid                         [B]-3[/B] | 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 xxxxxx
jaygittings                      [B]-3[/B] | 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 xxxxxx
dannimal                         [B]-6[/B] | 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 xxxxxx

A.o.D. (A.o.D)                   [B]+3[/B] | 0 1 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 x
Justin Fletcher                  [B]+0[/B] | 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 

The players above the space are for sure playing in the league.

FAQ

Q: How do I challenge someone?
A: For normal challenges, simply create a private game in Neuroshima Hex. Please give the game a name that indicates who is playing. Choose the Game Center icon and pick the person from your friends list. Click Ready before you quit the Create Game screen. The deadline for challenges is the night of November 24 at 2:45am EST.

But if you are challenging a player who has fewer points than you in the most recently updated ranking, then feel free to post a challenge here and specify the two teams you wish to play. For example, if I am currently ranked higher than prolix, I might post:

> I challenge prolix using the teams New York and Smart.

Then prolix would choose one of the teams, create a game, name it something appropriate (e.g., “Prolix NY vs Dave Smart”), and we’re off.

And if you are challenging a player who has more points than you in the most recently updated ranking, then feel free to post your challenge here and not only specify the two teams but choose one yourself, as in:

> I challenge Joe Bolt. I’ll be Vegas and Joe will be Steel Police.

Now I would create the game and name it something appropriate (e.g., “Dave Vegas vs Joe SP”).

Q: Who can I challenge, and with what team?
A: Anyone you want, and with any team! You do not have to post your challenges; we will assume that if you challenge another player in the league, then the game counts. Winners should report the results in bold, including which teams played in the match.

Q: Will there be a winner?
A: There will! We will have a brief playoff at the end of the month, and crown a champion. See below.

Q: Why is there a maximum number of wins with each team?
A: Because reach for the stars!

Q: How will we be rated at the end of the month?
A: Your final ranking will be the total of your wins minus your losses, with the following badges applied:

<+2> Defeat last month's champion (clyve)
<+1> Defeat last month's runner-up (Dave Perkins)
[+1] For each set of three teams that you win with

Q: Are there any other badges? I love them!
A: I invite everyone to send me a PM with the subject “NH Secret” (or some such thing), and in it you will pick a team that you are fighting for. (No requirement to do this.)

At the end of the month, the choices will be revealed. Then we will see how your win total with that team compares to everyone else who was fighting for a different team. (For example, if only Hereafter and A.o.D choose Steel Police, then Hereafter’s number of Steel Police wins will be compared not to A.o.D’s total, but to “the rest of the field’s” total.)

If you’ve won at least as many with your team as the rest of the field has, then these badges will apply:

(+2) If no more than two people chose that team
(+1) If more than two people chose that team

Also, the four players from the previous month’s playoffs will play a four-person game the following month. The lowest scoring player is tossed after each match. The ultimate winner wins:

{+1} Win the manly donnybrook

Q: How do the playoffs work?
A: The top four players (who have played at least six games) by ranking (with ties broken by most recent match between the parties) will enter a single-elimination playoff, with the higher seed choosing to make the challenge or be challenged. To make a challenge, the player puts forward two teams, and then the other player picks one of them to play, thus giving the other team to the other player.

Q: Anything else to tell us?
A: You can report bugs to [email protected].

I’m in for this month. Send me challenges. I’ll send out some later today. Happy Halloween all.

I’m in. I would like to have maximum games, so challenge away!

I don’t think I will re-use the map idea this month. It was cool, but not so cool that it’s worth repeating. However, if anyone was in love with the idea, let me know!

Random idea I had in the spirit of the map, but easier. This could be used for bonuses this month too:

Setup: Each person picks a home team and an enemy team (or maybe 2 enemies).

Bonuses:

1. Anyone who picked the team that ends up with the most wins gets bonus points equal to (Number of Total Players / Number of People picking winning team) (drop fraction). Example: 6 of 10 people pick Yellow as the home team and Yellow gets it (obviously, being the cheaterteam), so each of those 6 people gets 1 bonus point. 10/6 = 1.66 ===> 1

2. Players earn a bonus points for wins against their enemy team. I was thinking maybe 1 point per win up to a maximum of (number of players - number of people picking this enemy team). So if everyone knows that Vegas sucks and picks it as their enemy, they can only earn a couple of points.

Thoughts? These are just some random things I was thinking about after our bonus point discussion.

Of course I’m in! I get to be a badge this month :D

Thanks, Vesper! I’d like to do something that rewards risk, and your idea includes that feature.

Clyve, I left my damn cable at home, so I can’t connect my iPhone to the wall and play my turn! Grrrbllblrblrblrblrbrr…

That’s a weird sound…

Lol don’t worry, take as long as you need.

I’m in.

I’m going to try my hand at this game this month, so send those challenges my way! Do I need to buy the expansion armies?

Ooo, hot damn! Welcome, bigdruid. You don’t need to buy the expansion armies unless you want to play those teams yourself. You can still play against them.

Welcome! You may not NEED to buy them, but they are all great! They go on sale often, you should snag them all then.

My queue’s empty! I’ll take all challenges and try to send some out later.

p.s. So long as there are no more than five, because six is a gargantuan number that no computer can possibly handle without melting into a puddle of silicon.

Invites sent out!

I think one of the devs will be joining us this month. You can ask him about the magic number 5 then :-)

I’m in and open to challenges.

A.oD violet beats hereafter olive 13 to 12 i managed to trap hq and let hom play the battles as it was came down to last turn. always makes it a tough game with jungle. good game hereafter

Exciting! And you know, I have kind of started to like the five game limit. I bet it keeps us moving faster…