Neverwinter Nights - Module Style

Cause im oddly finding myself playing it. Of course its all thanks to user made modules, not the developer made snorefest of a campaign.

While the Shadowlord module packs lots of grammar errors, the content that IS there isn’t full of DND doublespeak that makes EVERY conversation a giant labor to click through. The little jokes are funny, and the henchmen/player scripted conversations in dungeons add A LOT of color to the adventures. Nooble is an idiot, he always has some sick story about things trying to have sex with his horses.

Plus there’s an element of exploration and level pacing to Shadowlords that works out really well. Admittedly most of the battles so far have been easy, but as a sorcerer I have been caught by surprise a few times and killed for it. The puzzle items are cool, cant figure out what the first ring means tho. The number combo eludes me.

All of that kind of stuff is what I wanted from NWN. If I want lots of enemies rushing me at once ill play IWD1 or 2, but I want an ADVENTURE with decently written character interaction, schemes, and inventive ways of presenting the setting and story. Hopefully Shadows of Underwear will improve upon the retail campaign.

Im on chapter 4 of the Shadowlord series, and things are getting REALLY cool, obviously showing that while the first chapter was good, the guy was getting better with each installment. The story continues on to the Dreamcatcher series and that’s supposed to be pretty cool as well.

Its still not GOTLastY tho.

Shadowlords is good; haven’t found anything else as good. Penultima is OK, but there are more bugs, and it’s more combat-heavy and linear.

I played through the entire Shadowlords with a friend; each of us had an unique henchman. I was a fairly useless fighter-mage (thanks to the AC-stacking rules), while he was a regular fighter, so he did most of the dirty work, but it was still a lot of fun.

Dreamcatcher was just finished, 4 modules, the last one is pretty long tho. Done by the same guy, getting better scores than shadowlord. Might wanna check it out.

I kinda liked playing a couple of the MMOG-styled NWN mods, though NWN multiplayer was laggy for me. I intend to try some out again someday.

One of the problem with the single-player mods is that they have to reuse artwork. It made me realize just how much fresh artwork adds to commercial expansions.

I love the NWN mod scene. I haven’t played a ton, and most of the ones I have tried have problems, but there’s some amazingly creative stuff to be found. I love that the toolset has given so many people an opportunity to express themselves through the odd medium of D&D modules. I just read about one called “Kinky Kingdom” that includes S/M stuff and master/slave henchman relationships; not my personal cup of tea, but an interesting example of module-making as personal expression.

It reminds me of the whole zine subculture. I didn’t read 'em all, but I liked that they were out there.

They can add new art with hakpaks I believe. Im probably wrong tho!

They can, and there’s been some of that, but not as much as I’d like to see. Of course I haven’t checked in the last few months so maybe there’s a lot of fresh stuff out there.

Its cool seeing the Author of the Shadowlord/Dreamcatcher stuff getting more creative each module. Shadowlord Mod 5 has been really good so far. I love that there’s a REAL mix to fighting/roleplaying/exploring. Makes it feel like a solid adventure. Also the henchmen have more personalty since they offer many comments during an adventure. That kinda stuff rox.

Check out the Lone Wolf series… actually, most anything in NWVault’s Hall of Fame is pretty solid. Elegia Eternum is by the same guy who did penultima, but it’s more serious I think, and he’s got custom voice sets and everything.

I’d agree that there are some fabulous Neverwinter Nights mods out there. Elegia Eternam by Stefan Gagne had a very dramatic story as well as great voice acting, original art and music.

Other highly recommended mods include Tseramed’s Foreboding in Sylvani, built by one of the original programmers for Ultima 7, and Jeff Dueeliz Weaver’s The Sunless Citadel, and Jason Robinson’s The Vethboro Dragon. The Penultima series is quite amusing as was Moondrake’s Pharaoh, a polished remake of the classic pen and paper D&D module.

What is most amazing to me is how accessible modding is within the Aurora toolset. It is really easy to add new art, sounds, music or graphics, as well as to design new adventures using the standard content. Basically, virtually every aspect of the game can be changed. The user community is also extensive, producing a quantity and quality of content that should make NWN enjoyable for years to come.

Many of the best NWN games in my experience however cannot be downloaded. A great DM-team run game with a terrific group of live players can be a fantastic experience, with touching moments, camraderie, and group play that one would only see in a live game.

At its best, live NWN can be like pen and paper D&D, though in a different medium. These features make the game both revolutionary and endless in its possibilities.

Arawen

I played NWN a few months back… these days, I’ve been playing Divine Divinity. :D