New American Godzilla Movie

Bit old, but since I didn’t see it posted elsewhere, a new Godzilla movie is going to be made by Legendary Films (which has a decent track record, including Nolan’s films, and the Hangover, 300, Watchmen)

Apparently this time the plan is a more faithful adaptation - a radioactive, fire-breathing, invulnerable giant dinosaur, rather than a scared giant Iguana with baby Raptors.

I’m not sure that any giant monster flick can top Cloverfield, but I’d actually like to see a Godzilla film done with decent effects instead of man-in-suit and the typically incoherent Japanese narratives. The monster-geek in me would love a Cloverfield vs. Godzilla movie.

If anyone hasn’t seen a relatively recent Godzilla movie, the last Japanese one - Final Wars, set in 2004, is a lot of fun – and features the American monster as well, heh.

The only reason Godzilla vs King Kong was even a fight was because of how freaking fixed it was.

It would take an absurd effort to make Godzilla vs Cloverfield look like a closely contested match. Minilla could kick Cloverfield’s sissy ass.

I want to see Godzilla and Gamera versus Mecha-Cthulhu.

I did pick up all of the last series of Godzilla movies recently, which I think I’ll start watching this weekend.

I don’t know man, Cloverfield has stood up to some of the same military hardware that Godzilla has.

OH MY GOD THIS IS POSSIBLY THE NERDIEST CONVERSATION ON QT3 EVER.

Godzilla has a range attack, Radioactive Fire, while Cloverfield is mostly melee with a, at best, somewhat localized pest attack. That alone makes it unfair.

Although if we were to allow Cloverfield the benefit of the doubt on throwing shiat, like the Statue of Liberty’s head, then maybe that could qualify as a ranged attack. Especially since at the beginning(of the good parts) of the movie, the Cloverfield monster was throwing shiat that exploded on impact. A ranged bomb attack, possibly enhanced by the presence of infectious pest enhancement is a respectable counter to short range radioactive fire.

He didn’t face those whacky laser guns the Japanese army always seems to be able to come up with!

Obviously, these things usually seem as effective as a fly swatter, but hey.

You guys are missing the obvious, and are wasting crucial preparation time before they inevitably join forces.

That said, Godzilla would reign supreme… until the spider mites manage to find access to his bloodstream. It’s pretty much instant game over if the embryos can survive implantation through the digestive system, as Godzilla will doom himself the instant he bites into Clive’s hide.

You’re playing with forces you don’t comprehend. You’ll kill us all!

Seeing as I disliked Cloverfield and love giant monster movies I rather hope it can be topped by the current generation of film makers. For an idea of what it could be like check out the opening to Always Sunset on Third St. 2.

This brief 2 minute clip also has almost as much footage of the monster as all of the movie Cloverfield as well :P

Also anyone arguing that the Cloverfield monster wins hasn’t seen enough Godzilla movies. Cloverfield would come close to winning but then Godzilla would have his classic Hulk Hogan style second wind and win the fight. I recommend checking out Godzilla Final Wars for a quick lesson in Godzilla bad assery wherein he pretty much defeats ALL his former enemies.

But the incoherent plots are the only way the Godzilla movies work. You really can’t put Godzilla in any kind of sensible realistic narrative without the entire concept imploding on itself.

Except for Godzilla 2000, where his genetically engineered enemy can’t really be harmed–on the outside.

Sorry, what is that from? Awesome clip - thanks for the link. That clip is better than any actual Godzilla movie.

Felt like Cloverfield, lol.

It is done by Toho though.

eh, we all are pretty much in agreement that Godzilla will most likely come out on top, it’s more or less an argument of how long it’d take Godzilla to take him out. I’m on the side that Godzilla would be pretty beat up by the end of the fight, because the cloverfield monster really doesn’t seem to have the stamina to keep up with another monster it’s size; Godzilla would need to pop those giant sacks on the side of Cloverfield’s head, and then it’s just a downhill fight to keep him down.

Though the argument about the mini cloverfield pests is a good one.

Okay fine. I can’t hold back.

Godzilla is a LIVING NUCLEAR FURNACE. Anything that enters his bloodstream would BURN.

eh, we all are pretty much in agreement that Godzilla will most likely come out on top, it’s more or less an argument of how long it’d take Godzilla to take him out. I’m on the side that Godzilla would be pretty beat up by the end of the fight, because the cloverfield monster really doesn’t seem to have the stamina to keep up with another monster it’s size; Godzilla would need to pop those giant sacks on the side of Cloverfield’s head, and then it’s just a downhill fight to keep him down.

The next scene would be G using his breath to burn through the holes in Cloverfield’s head until it exploded.

Here’s what typically happens in a Godzilla movie. Godzilla and his opponent size each other up. They wrestle a little bit. Someone gets thrown through a building. Godzilla gets pushed around.

Then, Godzilla remembers, “Oh yeah, I have nuclear powered lightning breath” and one shot kills his enemy. I think I’ve seen that formula in about 5-6 movies. He also kills several of his enemies in Final Wars like that.

You forgot to mention my favorite trope of the 90s G films:
Humans invent a device that is supposed to be able to “stop” Godzilla, and instead ends up being a pile of useless crap that fails almost instantly after the first time it used in combat.

Also, Miki:

I salute the purity and rightness of this explosion of nerd rage on the subject.

Even before “entering his bloodstream” there’s several bits of documentary evidence of what happens when Godzilla’s swarmed by small monster pests hanging off him and nibbling at him, be they baby destoroyahs (no relationship to DA REAPAHS) or minimegaguiri. Godzilla flashbang nuclear pulse, so that every little pest making skin contact BURNS.

Cloverfield Monster itself would take awhile. Actually, a decent Godzilla vs Cloverfield movie would consist of street-level focus (ideally without aggravating yuppies repeatedly screaming bro! at one another), with the background consisting of the city getting flattened as the big G beats the crap out of the big C for 90 minutes until there’s no building left.

At the end, a small child will screech at Godzilla to come back as he wades back into the ocean. Then the child will explode, because of surviving miniclover pests.

I dunno, that Godzilla character got smoked by caterpillars, twice, and by a few bubbles, and home turf advantage cannot be overstated. I think Cloverfield rips off his head and sends it careening off the Empire State Building.

Nah, Godzilla still wins because the Cloverfield monster isn’t lame enough to win. When you look at it, the only time Godzilla ultimately loses to a monster, it’s to a lame one, the Mothra larvae or the weird ass King Kong for instance.