New American Godzilla Movie

The 12 year old in me loves the idea of a Kaiju shared cinematic universe. And since 12 year old me is in much better shape than middle aged me, he’s winning out.

Same here. With the additional benefit that 12 year old me gives fewer fucks than I do and had something in his reflexes I have lost. I happily submit to his judgement in these matters (but wish maybe he would lay off the sweets a little bit more).

You guys realize that there has already been a Kong v. Godzilla movie, right?

1962 - actually the first time Godzilla appeared in color.

Thanks to gameoverman, I now really want to see Bat-Kong vs Super Godzilla! With appearances by Wonder Mothra and Aqua Gamorra! I better get lunch soon.

What’s King Kong?

King Kong really needs to step up his game if he wants to compete in a world with other Kaiju.

I’m not sure if a breath weapon is the thing, but he needs something. What power set would you give to Kong, besides raw strength and climbing ability?

What he’s always had: A way with the ladies.

Weapons, tools, armor, etc. Drop a Monolith on Skull Island and then find a good hiding place.

Never underestimate the advantage of an opposable thumb.

I was just thinking of a good scene for King Kong vs Godzilla.

King Kong climbs up a tall building, out of Godzilla’s reach. Godzilla tail whips the first floor of the building, knocking the entire first floor to the side. The whole building drops down, so the second floor is now the first floor. King Kong looks dismayed. Godzilla continues to tail whip floors until King Kong, still at the top of the building, is now at eye level with Godzilla.

I’m not sure what happens after that but at least King Kong won’t have to worry about falling from a great height again.

I envision a scene in which Godzilla, armed only with a novelty, oversized hammer, is trying to get to the top of a building where Kong has taken up residence. The building Kong is standing on is comprised of a series of ramps that lead up to his perch. But here’s the catch: the whole time Godzilla is trying to run up those ramps, Kong is…and this is the genius part…rolling a bunch of goddamn barrels down the ramp, trying to knock him off!

Side thought: could Godzilla be Italian in this version?

Every idea in this thread is better than the 1962 King Kong vs Godzilla. I only vaguely remember it, but I do know that even 12-year-old me (probably younger, actually) thought it was one of the weaker movies.

Probably because they had to give Kong magical electricity powers so he could compete. And his costume was horrific.

Godzilla 2 delayed to March 22nd, 2019. Godzilla vs Kong coming May 29th, 2020.

No surprise, but it’s disappointing that they’re taking 5 years to follow up to wait for the director to be done with Star Wars. He just isn’t essential to a successful followup and, in fact, has some narrative weaknesses despite doing a great job with imagery, so I wouldn’t mind someone else getting a kick at the can.

Don’t know why they are so fixated on him having to be the director either to wait for several years to get next one out.

We will get a Japanese Godzilla movie in the interim, and it’s by the same guy who did the Attack on Titan live action movies - the first of which I liked quite a bit, but the 2nd was awful. Still, he gets “big monster carnage” well, judging by the first movie, at least. …

That said, this trailer is just…weird. I kinda like the ferocious looking mouth, but the tail is waaaay too long, and he basically just stands there barely moving except for his bobbing tail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX-C_dOkMRI

Man you weren’t kidding, that long ass tail has a life of its own.

Agreed in part. I’m not wild about the mouth but it’s ok. Maybe a little over done. The T-rex arms feel a bit weird. But the tail, yeah. What the hell.

That trailer would have been better if they had basically wait to show all Godzilla footage in the last 30 seconds. Outside of design issues on the suit, and that decision, I did like the trailer. I am afraid, however, I will be incapable of watching without the “100 times the length of his body!” tail distracting me.

I’m split on that Japanese Godzilla trailer. The parts with the humans look great, but the parts with Godzilla look terrible.