New American Godzilla Movie

Lovely.

Unfortunately, the last Godzilla movie taught me not to get my hopes up for Godzilla movies based on their trailers.

The 2014 trailer was great - Gareth Edwards is really good at creating some amazing visuals - while the movie itself was decent but flawed. I really wish they dropped the magical/spiritual “Earth protector” nonsense in favor of just having giant creatures as forces of nature, but it seems like those aspects are back and emphasized in this movie. I’m just dying for a Godzilla movie that is as grounded as Cloverfield. The original 1954 movie is really still the only one, and still the best as a result, although Shin Godzilla was a decent attempt along those lines.

That all said, this movie is my most anticipated movie in a long, long time. Well, at least since Episode 7, and I’m looking forward to this much more than I am Episode 9 or even Avengers 4. This has a better director than 2014 Godzilla, an excellent cast, and is building on Kong Skull Island which was also an improvement over Godzilla – and they seem to be doing a better job with depicting the new monsters (Rodan, Mothra, Ghidorah) in a way that is consistent with their Toho depictions but more realistic, which is amazing. I have very high hopes that we might finally get a giant monster movie to rival Cloverfield.

I wish any of the MonsterVerse titles were available for streaming anywhere apart from DirectTV. It kinda astounds me just how many movies aren’t available at all between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Filmstruck (well, RIP that one, and I was just leeching off dad’s account, anyway), and CrunchyRoll. The modern streaming world sucks :(

Better quality version of the trailer: https://vimeo.com/305540875

Honestly get chills watching this. So good.

Vimeo reports that as 1080p max, same as the YouTube version.

Ah, wait. If you go to the site at the start of the trailer (tohokingdom.com) there’s a blog post:

As per tradition, Toho Kingdom has been given a higher quality version of the latest trailer, the highest quality that can be found online, which can be seen below.

Not sure why they’d do that, but oh well, their movie.

What’d you think of the trailer, Z?

The anime trilogy has been a huge letdown so far.

That does look great. But as Jason_Levine pointed out, the last movie’s trailer was great too (big kudos for emphasizing Brian Cranston, for example, even though he was hardly in the movie at all).

So I know you can never judge a movie by its trailer, but having said that…

SQUEEEEEEE!!

Damn right.

I love that melody.

I do as well! And who would have ever thought it would sound so great in a Godzilla trailer?

Holy crap! I love that trailer! They even got Gamera? Did you know he is made of turtle meat??

I don’t remembering seeing Gamera in the trailer. He’s owned by a different Japanese studio, so I’d be surprised if he was in here, since that would require a separate license.

The previous trailer was much better. This is the “fuck it, we’re spelling out the entire plot” trailer.

One of them looked like a giant turtle, the one that the girl reached out to touch, I thought.

I suspect that is Mothra in caterpillar form.

“Giant monsters attack, only Godzilla can stop them” isn’t that big a reveal in the franchise, in my mind. Looks like they’re still keeping secret the inevitable aliens are behind it sub-plot.