New American Godzilla Movie

The point is its going to be a another giant CGI monster movie. Yea it going to be Godzilla but from a technical perspective Rim was impressive so seeing another big CG monster destroying stuff even if its based on the original one just doesn’t seem that exciting.

Away with you, heathen!

Gibberish!!

Now if they were gonna make a Gamera movie that would be something different.

Because it’s a flying turtle.

No Larry, not because it’s a flying turtle.

Of course because it’s a flying turtle!

That would be a rocket powered flying turtle.

That’s not how Gamera flies.

-Tom

Yeah he spins from rocket jets out of his arm holes, flying like an out of control Koopa.

He’s multimodal now. If you’ve seen the latest three movies, that’s basically his attack mode. He spews fireballs while flying like that.

You lie!

-Tom, running to his room and slamming the door

Well, it seems unlikely they’ll be able to get somebody better than Del Toro to do this.

In which case, they should just get Del Toro to do this. They could just pay him in action figures or something.

Also its not like we already haven’t gotten a good modern Godzilla movie guys. Have you all forgotten?

Wish I could!

The director of the Godzilla movie already did a giant monster movie, called simply “Monsters” – there’s a thread on it here - it was very low budget, but he did a good job with the effects and getting bang for his buck, and reasonably well grounded. I’d much rather see what he can do with this movie than have Del Toro’s more fantastical take again.

I just don’t want it to be some Cloverfield style take, man I disliked that movie.

I don’t think there’s any chance of that.

Cloverfield was fantastic (one of the best movies in the past 10 years, and certainly the best giant monster movie ever), but the found footage gimmick/first person perspective is really played out at this point. I do want something reasonably grounded for a Godzilla movie though - the best movie in that series, and arguably the only “good” movie to feature G - is the original, which was played straight.

MAN IN SUIT

Listening to David Strathairn give that intro pep speech, I can’t help but wonder how desperate his finances must be to agree to that role.