New American Godzilla Movie

— Alan

The latest trailer has a really, really clear shot of Godzilla’s full body at the end. I think they are giving a bit too much away in these trailers but I’m still excited.

Oh yeah, the short TV one? Yeah maybe.

— Alan

He does look a little different; his chest and abdomen look like a mass of very large plates and his head seems to be more attached to the chest without a prominent neck, but yeah I think we all know what he looks like generally. Or most people do, one way or another.

Then again, I bet one may be surprised how many people have no idea.

— Alan

Getting it right isn’t just about the look, it’s also about the roar.

Exactly.

---- Alan

I think the nature of where these trailers are (originally) intended to be seen is the key. You’re sitting in a semi-dark theater, clutching your $10 bag of popcorn and wondering why in the name of all that’s holy did you agree to come see “Transcendence” when you KNEW that Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 17%. Then this cool trailer comes on with scenes of destruction and panic. It’s got that guy from that drug show that you heard was so good but never started watching because even though everyone raves about it, it’s on like Season 8 or something and just ended, and who has the time to catch up on stuff like that? ANYWAY, you keep watching this trailer and you’re wondering what it’s all about - another alien invasion movie? Is this the new Transformers movie maybe? What are they up to now, anyway… like six? Then as you near the end you see a giant clawed foot and you start to twig on – seconds later you get the roar and the closing shot/glimpse of the monster. When the movie title pops up a second or two after that, you’re grinning like the 10-year-old kid you were when you watched those movies on the Saturday Creature Feature.

tl;dr: These things aren’t supposed to keep the monster’s appearance secret from the people going to see the movie, it’s just supposed to be secret until the END OF THE TRAILER.

Indeed we do.

So another Japanese trailer essentially broke the fact that the monsters will be fighting one another; in fact they made it seem like they unearth the winged thing, then summon forth Godzilla to battle it.

— Alan

— Alan

Hmm Rodan?

Or perhaps Monet?

How many times are we going to have to have the “There are no other Toho monsters in this film.” discussion?

It’s not “Rodan”. It’s very Rodan-like, but there’s another image (one at the airport) that gives the look of a four-limbed animal with additional folded wings. Whatever it is, it’s pretty different.

— Alan

So, Rodan?

Definitely Rodan.

— Alan

Godzilla vs. Rodan? In the first movie? You’d think they’d wait for the sequel to trot out Rodan.

Nah. Rodan, Mothera, Gamera AND Mechagodzilla are all in this one. Feast your eyes on this puppy!

— Alan

They couldn’t use Mechagodzilla for this one, he’s already starring in the new Transformers movie.

Apparently the Japanese are complaining that Godzilla is too fat.

— Alan