New Angeles Forum Game: Capital, CAPITAL!

@Jorn_Weines Do I have my emergency action back?

We are without @Jorn_Weines for a bit, I believe. I’m certain it was confirmed earlier that your emergency action was discarded after use, like all cards, and when that happens to an emergency action it returns to its original owner. It’s unavailable if it won the deal and available otherwise (as here).

Ah, you must have gotten it from Mr. Li. Looks like we’re looking at a choice of Mass Reconstruction + Ruthless Tactics vs 24/7 + Budget Renovations (assuming Jinteki is not talking about Gentrification, which would be bad.)

1st choice net: 3 outages removed, 2 units removed, +2 unrest anywhere not in strike our outage
2nd choice net: 2 outages removed, 1 unit removed, +2 unrest where outages removed

We could mix up the pairing, but the +2 orgcrime from Mass Recon really needs Ruthless Tactics to mitigate the damage.

1st choice is definitely more efficient, though 2nd choice is ok as well.

I’ll counter with my emergency action and offer some Massive Reconstruction to get us back in shape. As soon says, it’s more efficient and less open to spiking I believe. Plus an asset in my hands would be my first so I’m not much threat to the group overall.

@rho21

Pass @Perky_Goth

Interesting. I certainly don’t have better, so Pass @soondifferent

I pass too. @Tim_N @Jorn_Weines

Eep… what are we thinking fellow business leaders?

I think the post by @soondifferent about the two options is informative and where we’re at. I agree with him that massive reconstruction should only be paired with ruthless tactics.

Some arguments for the second choice (24/7 and budget renovations):

• Keeps massive reconstruction up our sleeve in later rounds when we might need it.
  • It allows @Lantz and I to get our main offers through.
  • Are we even sure someone has ruthless tactics in their deck?

I think whatever we decide to do as a group we should avoid wasting cards fruitlessly in a contest of wills. The winners (i.e. the people who get offers through) should compensate the losers (i.e. those who would have gotten offers through if the other strategy is embraced) either way.

Sorry guys, dead tired after a long day yesterday. My friend’s PhD defense was a success, and the party was even better. I’ll check back in tomorrow and update. I apologize for the delay!

Mate take your time, you’re doing volunteer work here and we are all appreciative. Glad to hear your friend’s PhD defense was a success!

Ruthless Tactics is Globalsec’s emergency action, so it’s available. It may be difficult to get a group consensus when both options are viable for the city and the only question is which corporations get to benefit, but I’m all ears.

I would rather we go with my and your offers for obvious reasons. If you are not planning on backstabbing us all then it is the safe route for you because Globalsec might not play their action and no one else can play a card. We’re safer too because if you don’t play because maybe one of us will have that Budget Renovations.

Our offers are safer because there is no single point of failure on Globalsec’s actions.

If you back my offer I will do everything possible to back yours back both in return for the support but also to make sure our city is safe.

I view the other way round as safer because it’s probably not the end of the world if we fail to meet demand or get a lot of threat from the event due to outages. But it’s pretty awful if both happen.
Clearing outages now guarantees at least we avoid that fate, even if my emergency action is blocked next turn. It also comes with the advantage of clearing more units, peerhaps resulting in less threat from that route.

Also if someone does block my emergency action we get a pretty clear indication of who the federalist is, which could be helpful later.

I’m open to the idea of compensation if the asset in play next turn is good. This one seems weak, especially if it goes to someone whose turn is after the event.

That’s a good point, @rho21… anyone can replace counter offers if they want to sabotage, so it doesn’t seem like a good idea to rely on counter offers when we have no lee-way. So I think passing @Lantz’s card now and my main offer next round is the best way to go.

I’ll wait for more discussion before committing support one way or the other and tagging the next player, as I think it’s a pretty important conversation. I don’t think anyone except the federalist wants a real contest here.

@rowe33 is set to gain the asset and 6 capital if he wins, inquiring minds would like to know what you intend to do with this windfall!

They have to be cleared, but yes, 6 capital is a bit much.

I’d be more than happy to distribute all but 1 of any capital I gain from my card to any supporters.

If @rowe33 gets his outage clearance passed, I won’t be able to offer the baddie clearance we need next round, and accordingly we’ll be relying on someone later than @rho21 in the chain not replacing his counter offer like mine was last round. I don’t think I am being in paranoid in saying that’s a big risk.

It’s a risk of failing the demand, certainly, but that’s only 5 threat and we’ll discover the federalist into the bargain. Getting rid of lots of outages will likely save us almost as much threat from the event itself anyway, and perhaps make next time’s demand easier to fulfill.
And if my emergency event passes too, we get to have our cake and eat it with lots of units removed from the city, again making the next demand easier.