New car - or 'Tell me what cars you have bought lately (that are interesting)'

I too live on a dirt road. It’s even more dirty, and because of the weather, a lot more hellish probably.

Is that an EV? I haven’t been following BMW much lately and I haven’t kept up.

Yes, it’s the new (2024) electric 5 series

Fancy pantsy! And an EV to boot.

Did it get shipped from Zona?

It did, we have a high school friend who runs a BMW dealership in Scottsdale so we went through him.

This seems dumb, Mazda is dumb.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46538204/2025-mazda-cx-70-revealed/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46573926/2025-mazda-cx-70-vs-cx-90/

The 2025 CX-70 is like 95% similar to their 2024 CX-90. Really the only difference is the missing 3rd row. Really glad I didn’t wait for this to release, the Acura RDX that I bought last summer has been fantastic for my needs.

If the US had received the CX-60 I’d probably be driving one today.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a41059332/2023-mazda-cx-60-drive/

I’m wanting to replace my 2010 Mazda3, likely with a MX-5 Miata RF, but I don’t like any of the colors 2023/2024 come in. Only one even remotely tolerable to me is the red. 1st world problems, I know.

I really wanted a Miata but the lack of even a vestigial back seat (for taking a dog to the vet or groomer) killed it for me. And no one within a bajillion miles had da BRZ or GR86.

I agree that car colors are crap these days. My 2023 Mazda 3 hatch is…white. Because I had zero choice, if I wanted a manual, and I wouldn’t buy it without a manual. So, white. I mean, the interior is a nice red, and the white itself is fine, but it’s still…white. Bleh.

Have only heard good things about the Acuras. I think the CX-70 is just enough smaller than the CX-90 that Mazda is thinking it will appeal to a number of people. In the showroom, the 90 is humongous by my standards.

That’s my point/issue the CX-70 and CX-90 have identical physical dimensions in length, width and height. :)

I am shocked at the misinformation about the CX-70 among the “professional” reviewers who have seen it. Apparently not a single one of them brought a measuring stick to actually check the dimensions of the car, so there’s all sorts of differing opinions out there about whether it’s smaller than the CX-90 or not. Such a strange and stupid rollout by Mazda. Why would they want that to be ambiguous?

And since it’s actually the exact same size, why does this exist as a different car? Why wouldn’t you just buy the CX-90 and keep the third row down? Certainly there’s value in having those seats just in case.

It’s doubly strange to me because I feel like a slightly smaller CX-70 could be really competitive. The car is nice, and it’s possible that folks who were stretching for an X5 would instead go for the CX-70.

Yeah, that’s why I couched my comments speculatively. I’ve seen a 90, not a 70, and I agree with the sentiment that if the 70 is no smaller, what’s the point? Mazda is usually pretty savvy but with SUVs they are all over the place. The cars are good, no question, but the whole CX-5/50 CX-3/30, and all that weirdness just makes me think no one in Hiroshima actually has a real plan.

Though I do see a ton of the smaller SUVs around here.

So they can make the CX-90 bigger?

I ran into that with my Mazda3 back in 2010, the only manual the dealership had on the lot was eggshell blue and the mgr made it very clear to me he really didn’t want to bother doing a trade with another dealership to get me a decent color. “What will it take for me to sell you this car?” Me: God himself could not get me into that car!!" They ended up trading with a dealership up in Toledo for a metallic silver.

I’m also set on another manual. I’ve never owned an automatic as my primary car. My wife has, but everything I’ve driven for 43 years has been a manual and I want to keep it that way. This MX-5 will be my final pre-retirement car, and hopefully lasts well into retirement (I turn 60 this Nov).

I know many people with the current gen ND Miata, and with the FRS/BRZ Tobaru twins.

The Miata’s are upclass in materials, regardless of if you are looking at base or higher spec cars. The new ND2 Miatas are also basically bulletproof in reliability. The original ND1 had big issues with the manual transmission failures when being driven hard (like in autocross/trackdays). And the Miata’s have removeable tops, which if you like that as much as I do is a big deal.

The twins are a bit more useable. The backseat is basically storage area, but gives alot more flexibility. The interiors to me are pretty spartan, especially compared to the Miata. Reliability is good unless again you drive them hard (autocross/track days), but driven hard they can damage the engines. My racing twins friends posted a recent pic of them rebuilding an engine over the winter, and they noted they always keep a spare. Again, I’ve not heard this about non-motorsport driven twins.

The color choice on the Mazda’s is shit, but its been that way for 10yrs now. Get the Red, or just pay to wrap it in whatever color you like. I’d suggest yellow or British Racing Green as outstanding Miata colors. The wrap will not only change the color but provide protection against rock chips and such.

Heh, Chrysler lolling about in the basement…again. I had one Chrysler product in my life, a 1976 Dodge Aspen I literally inherited when my father died when I was 16. As the only person in the family at that point with a driver’s license (my mother, who is now 90, has not driven since she was like 24) it fell to me to operate the thing. God, it was a turd, though that might be an insult to a perfectly good piece of fecal matter. After that car, I never even considered a car from Chrysler in any of its configurations.

That reliability survey pretty much looks like last year too. Lexus/Toyota top Acura/Honda and Suburu and Mazda not far behind. Mini being reliable is a surprise to me, as everyone I know that has owned a Mini has had nothing but problems, but those were 7-10 year old cars, they must have stepped things up.

The article goes into detail about why this might be. Sedans and hatchbacks have the highest average reliability, so a lot of those top of the boards sell a lot of popular sedans. (Civic, Accord, Camry, Mini etc)

With the large increase in variety EV’s, it seems like the reliability vs ICE cars is just terrible. That makes sense, because we have a lot of new car makers in the space, learning how to make EV’s. They note the Tesla Model 3 has high reliability, but a lot of other EV’s are struggling.

Nice to see that Hybrids actually have less problems than ICE vehicles, I know a decade ago that was not the case, where adding in the hybrid setup just meant more stuff to fail. I am sure that is the spot EV’s are in now, and as the car makers get more experience the reliability will get better.

I’d be hesitant to draw too many conclusions from that chart. Is it due to hybrids being inherently more reliable than ICE or due to the fact a more significant percentage of hybrids on the road are manufactured by Toyota (historically at/near the top of reliability) as compared to ICE vehicles?

Well, back in the early days of Hybrids, Toyota was making a lot of them too, and the reliability vs ICE were lower then, as the technology was newer and less reliable.

I’m really curious where their metric this year comes from. in years past I have investigated in detail and will say that it was fine as a first approximation, but utterly fails at distinguishing severity and comprehensiveness of failure issues.

I say this because everyone with an EV I know has had far fewer repairs and issues with theirs,. However I suspect this is largely driven by the issues that Hyundai and Kias faced regarding theft, and an issue where water could collect near the drivetrain. I know last year that dinged them pretty hard.