New Cats

You get your Dad’s medicine from a Vet!? Is he OK with that?

The GF and I just moved in together, and we got 2 kittens.

pics will follow.

Awesome cats, Steve.

The conversation my girlfriend and I have about cats, every time:

Me: I really want a wussabah*!
Her: Me too!
Both: Where will it poo?
Both: :(

Stupid tiny London flats.

*See wckd comic RE: inanity.

Mississippi State University Steve, you must post a picture of Sammie lest she get jealous of the new cats!

-Tom

Right now the kittens have their own litter, food, water and cat bed setup in the spare bedroom upstairs. They’re way too mischievous to be allowed in the basement unsupervised, where Sam’s litter box is. Eventually we’ll put all the litter boxes together in the basement, but for now we just have to live with the litter box stinking up the spare bedroom. Speaking of which, the kittens litter box smells way worse than Sam’s. I’m not sure if it’s the kitten chow they were eating (and which I’ve since replaced with Iams kitten food) or what, but they’re stinky creatures!

Was there any adjustment period where Cookie was less than thrilled to have the little ones around or did he take an aloof attitude toward them from the start?

I’ve never heard of this. My only concern is that it could make the kittens less playful, which I don’t want. Yeah, they’re a handful and do some amazingly dumb things, but that’s part of the fun of having kittens. Does the Feliway take the play out of them at all?

I’m going to get the pictures off of Kellie’s camera and I’ll be sure to post one of Sam. I’d like to get one of Sam near Daphne and Chloe so you guys can see how big she is in relation to them. Pictures of the kittens are a little deceiving because they look bigger than they are. They’re four months old, but they’re still pretty small.

I’d love to see pictures of everyone else’s cats too.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Oh man, I would’ve posted in that thread if I’d realized it was there. I did a search for a cat thread, but didn’t find one. Should’ve searched for pets instead.

Cats are special and deserve their own thread.

So says BEECAT!!!

Love that picture! The pictures of all your kitties in the Pet Thread are great.

I really need to get a video of what Sam loves the best: jumping on shoulders (as he had done before that pic above was taken). If a guy comes into my place and he’s taller than I am? Sam HAS GOT TO JUMP ON HIS SHOULDERS. He gets super, super anxious about it and starts leaping onto the couch or a nearby chair to see if he can make the leap. He’s usually super careful about using his claws–when he jumps on me he never scratches me–unless you make a sudden move. Which people tend to do when all of a sudden they have a cat leaping at their face. He even gives a warning meow right before he does it, so you know not to move. Then when he’s up there, he rubs his face against your head and will just hang out there super happy.

Does Sam like to conquer new people better than jumping on those he already knows, or does he just like getting on the tallest person in the room?

He definitely has his favorites in the people he already knows (he will only jump up on my shoulders if Bahimiron is not around), but he wants to jump on new people as soon as they come in. Usually just men though. When Bahimiron comes home every day, Sam is like beside himself running around, looking up at him and meowing until Bahimiron moves over to where Sam can jump up on his shoulders. It’s like his way of saying hello (to old and new people) and he considers it entirely rude if he is not allowed to jump up. He’ll sulk for a couple minutes if he’s denied and he refuses to jump on me if I go over and try to coax him up.

I got home today and discovered that one of our young (8 month) cats has graduated from bug catcher to mouser. \0/

That is so cute! I’d totally let him ride around if I ever met him, especially if he’s gentle with the claws.

Ha Ha Ha - Actually Ozymandias (the old man cat) takes Methimazole a human anti-thyroid medicine.

My human old man (dad) takes Synthroid a human thyroid medicine. My dad’s old man dog also takes synthroid - again the same drug.

My dad has joked about taking the dog’s medicine if he accidentally runs out. So, he would be OK with getting his medicine from the Vet ;) - except for the fact that vets usually charge more than the pharmacies…

I used to pick up Ozy’s methimazole from the same pharmacy I picked up my synthroid -it made the pharmacist do some doubletakes at times…

Yeah, I pick up prednisone in liquid form for my old man cat, as giving him liquids is easier than pills, and they sometimes give me a doubletake too.

Nice additions to the famiglia, MSUS! They look like troublemakers to me but my money’s on all three of them adjusting and living harmoniously and not burning down your house when you’re not paying attention to them and doting on them.

We’ve got a couple shelter cats too though they are older now (about 12M, and 10dominantF). Cosmo (after Kramer who I named), Gidget (who my wife named, and I disclaim all responsibility for that except I love her just the same (I guess both the cat, and the wife)), respectively.

It’s been nice to see the feline appreciation here (we know our opposites are out there, apparently QT3 is a cool tolerant place where they can keep their feelings dialed down and let us enjoy ourselves).

Tom’s interest made me think about his Shoot Club column (I think it was more than one) when the cat showed up one night and he was discovering some of the mysteries of the species. And made me wonder if the cat stayed and allows Tom to grace his presence!? [They make good company, cats, plus, I suspect Tom does too…]

I’m sure I’ve heard Tom’s cat talking during some of the Qt3 Games podcasts.

Sooo, toxoplasmosis. Sometimes I think about getting a cat or two, but then I worry about mind-controlling parasites. How do QT3’s cat owners cope with their protozoan overlords?

Last night I dreamt about two kitten that thought they were owls. They kept doing that head bob thing and occasionally jumped strait up trying to fly.