New CGW gives Lionheart 1.5 stars

The FP perspective is a convention of the Wizardry series. The way you phrased the above quote, it appears you weren’t aware of that. But I find that hard to believe. Do you have any idea how much the fans would freak out if it Wiz 8 were in the third person? :)[/quote]
No, I wasn’t aware of it. I don’t have any trouble believing it, though. Still, I don’t play first-person games that often. And when I do, it takes me a few days to re-acclimate. So a game has to be fundamentally compelling for me to play it long enough to acclimate. In fairness my gripe is a little off - there were probably other issues in the game that bugged me enough where I couldn’t get over the strange perspective. Still, the changes that would have been good to me probably would have pissed off the hardcore fans like no tomorrow.

It’s not that old school equals hardcore. But those older games seemed to be more complex and thus more interesting to many “hardcore” RPG fans. Action RPGs are fine, but they aren’t nearly as deep as the old M&M games (M&M VI was one of the best games I ever played!). It just seems like so many RPGs are dumbed down nowadays in order to appeal to a more casual crowd. I understand why it is done, but I wish someone would break the trend…actually TOEE is pretty hardcore, isn’t it?

[quote="J.theYellow]Oh really?

PRESS RELEASE
Dec. 15, 2003

IRVINE — Black Isle Studios today announced a new alliance with a startup development company, One Armed Bandit, made up of former employees from Westwood Studios.

The Las Vegas-based studio will assist in the design and development of Fallout 3, the long-awaited sequel to Black Isle’s critically-acclaimed series of life on Earth following nuclear annihilation. The title will be published by Interplay, who has agreed to bankroll the project entirely in Pez candies and Mountain Dew.

Fallout 3: Renegade will feature a first-person perspective. Black Isle officials said the transition from a top-down view familiar to Fallout fans to first person is akin to the transition fans of Westwood’s Command & Conquer series had to make with Command & Conquer: Renegade. Fallout 3 will feature many of the same interesting yet derivative gameplay elements that led to a minor hit, followed by the untimely disbandment of Westwood as a game studio. Why the hell do you put a goddam game studio in Las Vegas, anyway. Jesus.

Fallout 3 will be released exclusively on the GameCube, thanks to a last-minute infusion of cashola from Nintendo, announced last week by Interplay. Release is expected for 2005, provided Interplay doesn’t run out of Pez.

That, my friend, was funny.

Um…I’m confused. If this was a response to my post, the “acclimation” process I was talking about was getting over the dizziness of looking at a first-person perspective game. It has nothing to do with complexity. :)

Lionheart review be damned, I’m just upset that they spelled “Caribbean” wrong ON THE COVER.

Jeff! Your proofreader should be keelhauled!*

*Also, in the Contract J.A.C.K. preview you referred to Cate Archer in as a “femme fetale”, which, I believe, means “baby woman”. Yes, at your advanced age, any woman under 45 is a “baby woman”, but…Mon Dieu! Votre épouse est française!