New Dungeons and Dragons movie starring Chris Pine

I just checked this out again (cleaning out storage), and yup, this setup with a budget could be a great D&D movie:

Dragonstrike Instruction Video (High Definition) - YouTube

Cautiously optimistic with the cast so far.

I think it could go really well if they pull a Lego movie where they reveal it’s just people playing a game late in the story.

Ioun stones?

Ioun stones are pretty obscure. They also only give a small stat bump. I propose Gauntlets of Ogre Power!

He’s a joy to watch in Paddington 2 and The Gentlemen.

Same goes for A Very English Scandal!

And Cloud Atlas!

Just remake Mazes and Monsters. Bring back Tom Hanks. Collect an Oscar.

15 hp/hour regen sounds pretty OP to me.

I mean, it’s also a Legendary Item that would reasonably be the impetus for a full campaign arc or the prize possession of an accomplished, extremely high-level character. Not that the DM’s Guide is willing to provide anything but the most cursory and optional of guidelines for this stuff in 5E, hah. (Which is still maybe better than the carefully calculated, joyless gear treadmills of 3.5/PF and 4E)

The munchkin that was me in middle school playing D&D always found a way, but that was back when this was state of the art:

Oh, I def had a Pathfinder 1E player whose Cleric took the Leadership Feat ASAP, recruited a Wizard Cohort who he convinced to himself take only Magic Item Crafting Feats and to whom he funneled all of his gold to fuel the continuous creation of sick loot while the party was off adventuring to take advantage of the downtime crafting rules and crafting cost discounts from that system. By Level 14, the whole party was kitted out in the very sickest of shit to the gills and hadn’t properly plundered a tomb of unknowable horrors in months.

I don’t miss Pathfinder :)

I have most of the Handbooks of that era in my attic. Man I really need to weed out that attic if I am still holding onto gaming stuff from the 70’s

I still have them in the bookshelf in my study.

They have fond memories.

A small production update:

That’s an ambiguous Tweet.

Is he letting his friends and family know that he survived the filming process for this movie? That would imply that either the filming was long and arduous or that he’s been in some remote region of the planet filming, from which no Tweets could escape.

Or perhaps he is assuring us that – despite all conventional wisdom – a D&D movie is actually still funded and “alive”, possibly even heading towards a theatrical release instead of one day of tepid advertising on Netflix before it sinks into the morass of forgotten COVID-era films.

But I suppose it is also possible that he is speaking of his career. That it is “Still alive!”. Perhaps this Tweet is assuring his loved ones (and agent) that despite the paucity of his IMDB profile post-Bones, he is actually working and getting paid by someone - somewhere - to do Hollywood-related things like yelling “Action!” and “Cut” despite the fact that 97% of the movie he is helming will most assuredly be CGI models hitting each other.

Maybe it’s a massive spoiler and he’s playing the role of Snails?

Probably he just finished replaying Portal

And so the Macguffin shall be… DAD HAT.

For uneasy lies the head that wears the crown +1.

I had one that buffed me an extra level, small stat bump indeed!

Can this possibly be good?