New Everquest Progression Servers: Party in Neriak like it was 1999 (sort of)

ACK!! Too much Warcraft, lol.

Forget to con, run right into a group of red cons because their names were blue.

Sigh.

Bump. So after cancelling EQN and losing almost all credibility they had left, Daybreak have completely lost their mind and have launched new armor ornamentations. They are ONLY sold as a full set.

Their cost? $99 and $199. F THAT SHIT.

I’ve been playing on Phin because…you know…everquest. I am shocked and/or amazed, at the number of people that still can’t play this game…I mean…comon. It’s a 17 year old game, with group dynamics being the center of attention. How do people still not know about /assist, or not breaking CC, or pulling/splitting mobs. Just an incredible /boggle.

I love EQ, and figured boy…at this point, anyone that’s going to bother to play this game is going to know what the hell they are doing…how wrong I was. Every single group I was in today had just a buffoonery of players in it. What the proverbial hell.

By the way, I’m changing the definition of buffoonery to mean any group that has 3 or more buffoons included.

To be fair when I made my Necro Iksar were not an available race…

Daybreak is done. Just let them be and go peacefully.

Man no kidding. A good group back in the day was a thing of art. The bard or monk runs out and pulls the mob you want out of the pack, then on its way in the tank taunts it off the puller and before it even reaches the tank it’s been slowed, snared and dotted. Any adds that happened to come in have been rooted/mezzed and the mob dies just as the next pull is coming into camp, rinse and repeat. So good.

So mechanical. And if any tiny thing goes wrong (ex. tank pulls wrong MOB, DOT gets dropped too soon, etc.), instead of manning up and fighting the fire (and having a good time doing it), one or more of the party members invariably starts throwing insults and imprecations, then logs. An experienced MMO group is this weird combination of Aspergers and OCD.

I was lucky to get in some good groups in EQ on the progressive servers last summer. It probably helped that my wife and I and a good old friend from orig EQ were 3 of the members and were used to working well together :).

I played an enchanter this time around and when everyone was about to freak when they pulled half of the spiders and LDCs in Sol B, I told em I thought we were good and proceeded to disable/mez the lot of em while we picked em off one by one as I slowed each one and kept the others busy. It helped that we didn’t have folks breaking mezzes, but we barely pulled out of it and when a group clicks like that it can be a lot of fun.

In the days of early EQ, I think it was more common to run with a close guild, or close friends, so there are more instances of being able to pull off stunts like the above. In today’s age where there is a bigger focus on PUGs, the content has adapated because you can’t expect such a level of coordination from people just randomly lumped together. Even if they are all competent players, they won’t necessarily have the synergy - and gaining that synergy won’t happen without repeat sessions. This is why it is so hard to recapture those early MMO days.

Not sure if there is any interest still for these, but they are launching a new Progression Server called Agnarr on Wed, May 24rd at 2pm PT, I believe.

Link to server rules: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/agnarr-faq-pop-locked-progression-server-coming-weds-may-24-2017.239813/

This one will be a bit different in that it will time lock after Planes of Power, Legacy of Ykesha, and Lost Dungeons of Norrath are enabled. This will keep the era locked at a point many people believe is the best era for EQ, with a modest amount of AAs and level limited to 65. LDoN will add instanced dungeon adventures and Ykesha the ability to play froglocks so it could be a perfect server to play for a more extended period of time if you want a bit easier play than p1999 and still a mostly classic experience. I am not sure, but I also believe there is a way to gain access to instanced raid zones so it should make it much more widely available to get people into the raid scene, if they chose to, compared to the tough competition it can be on p1999.

It will also be a true-box server like Phinigel was, I believe. This should help to pare down the 6-12 man mage armies that flooded servers like Lockjaw and Ragefire when they were released. You still can box on different physical machines, though, so I may work on a cleric on the side this way just for utility.

I am gearing up to play again and will have a nice 5 1/2 day weekend to get started. I may even roll more alts this time around. We have a fairly decent sized group gearing up to start this week over at The Old Timers Guild that @Oghier and I are a part of. Hopefully we have close to as much fun as we did the last time around.

If anyone else gets in, give me a shout and we can get together for some adventures sometime.

I’ll be on here and up for a good guild!

NEVER AGAIN

This seems like such a mistake waiting to happen, and yet I still kind of want to.

Yeah, there’s this part of me that’s like OMGOMGOMGOMG and then there’s the me that remembers I have too many games as is. However, the stream would be epic.

Color me interested

Must.Resist.

I’ve been bouncing around over what class to play at launch, and was pretty set on druid for a while. It’s a great first class on a server class, you can port around, run fast, heal, invis, not really too gear dependent. Problem is, Druids don’t end up being great where this server locks, and also my long term goal is to have 4 classes really at max and raid. Monk, Ranger, Chanter, and Bard.

1. Monk. If I could roll a lizard monk at release, it wouldn’t even be a question. The second Kunark opens, it will be my first real main character.

2. Ranger. Too gear dependent to play as a first class, much better to farm some items with another class and level one when the server gets close to PoP, where they are actually a great class.

3. Chanter. This is very tempting to start as a first character, they are powerful throughout, are fun to play, are needed in groups, and aren’t really that gear dependent…I may still end up doing this.

4. Bard. Also way too gear dependent, much better to twink one and level it later. Also suffers from some era problems, like songs not working on pets which is a real knock.

So out of my “real” mains, the only one that is a great first character, would be the chanter. I usually start TLPs with druids, because the run speed buff and teleports are really huge early on, and you can actually make quite a bit of money pre-PoP porting people.

I started making classes on Ragfire, just to try and zero in on what I wanted to do for sure, and I landed on Troll shaman as another choice. Being a troll shaman is pretty great on a new server, the regen and spells give them the ability to solo very well if need be, and always wanted in groups. There is a big added bonus, that I will just by nature of my starting area, farm a lot of gear for the monk, as swamp and GuK are where mesh armor etc drops. That alone is pretty good motivation, as Kunark will unlock pretty quickly, and having a shaman is certainly not bad, especially in the common lands/ro/tunnel/freeport centric classic game. You really have very close access to everything you need except unrest, and even that is doable with bind, gate, and origin.

So really, at this point, it’s a choice between Druid, Chanter, and Shaman…I’m still sort of paralyzed, as they all have their strong points. The good thing about both the shaman and the chanter, is that they make better “end game” characters. If druids were top tier end game, it wouldn’t even be a choice for me, ports, run speed, and heals are pretty huge.

Bah…so stuck.

I’d probably play a Rogue, my go-to character class in every game I play.

I got my old computer dug out and fired up and updated with EQ and ready to go for a second machine. I have an older 24" 1920x1200 screen and the computer is still plenty good for EQ as it is my old i7-920 machine so I am all set for later today!

I am not looking forward to starting in Neriak as it sounds like it may be a tougher start area after some recent mob density spawn tweaks, but I will most likely play a Dark Elf Enchanter and make a Dark Elf Cleric too so I can start in the same place. I will try to update with names once I figure out what I can get.

OK, so I played EQ from the closed betas (think I still have my discs!) to a bit after Luclin. I don’t remember a ton about the game other than I had a 50+ level druid. I loved playing Monk. So it seems Monks are good? I’m trying to decide what to play.