New game project. Feedback/Publicity wanted!

+1,000

Give me Post-Apocalyptic X-com with the player rebuilding from the ashes. Terminator influence welcome.

I dunno… I’m skeptical. $50 to some unproven project seems like wasted money. If the game comes out, you’re likely to sell it anyway and I could buy it then if it’s good. Less risk at the expense of being heard in a group process that will likely crowd out my input with whatever the masses want. Probably some hybrid of Halo mixed with Guitar Hero and Wii Fit.

Good luck though. I’ll mention this on our next podcast and point people to your website.

FYI - Our web-filtering software at work blocks Insurgency Interactive. It’s being categorized as “Sex.” Can’t wait to get home and check it out!

Not quite the same, but openwaregames proposed a similar funding model, or at least it did before it went belly up:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040127012201/http://www.openwaregames.com/index.html

• Alan

It’s a great idea and I’ll definitely be checking up on it. I just hope the exchange rates will be more favorable when it comes to paying up.

First-person or Third-person?
FPS or RPG?
Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii?
For the first time ever…

Emphasis mine. I think that’s where the idea comes from.

Also, I think the more blockbuster the project would be aiming, the more unlikely its success would be.

For example, a relatively simple XCom clone with Zombies, realized in a casual game fashion - i.e. slick, but rather simple and essentially 2D iso engine with a polished interface might require total investments of only a couple of thousand dollars (let’s say, 200k), but a multiplatform AAA FPS rivaling CoD4 might require more than 20 million dollar, maybe even more.
Different league entirely.

rezaf

How about instead of 50$ buy in’s, you just sell voting shares. Have an “IPO”, let the shareholders vote on the design elements, and make sure you have some sort of mechanism to allow them to exchange shares for money with one another or you. That way people who felt like the idea blew major chunks of ass could sell out to someone who was ejaculating with joy over it.

Plus, uh, it’d encourage people to buy further shares from you so as to maintain a high voting %.

Just remember to promise them dividends as a percentage of the profits, not of the gross, and to count costs like Hollywood. And be sure to name the game Springtime for Hitler: The Revenge!