New GameSpy Subscription Service

(I’m always late to the party on these forums - I hope this subject wasn’t started elsewhere.)

Anywhatsit, GameSpy announced a new subscription service this weekend: http://www.gamespy.com/subscribe/

–Basic, nothing changes.
–Ad-Free, you pay $15/year to turn off GameSpy’s ads
–Founders’ Club, you pay $80/year no ads, FilePlanet, their software and a gaming mag subscription.

Anyone going to go for the middle level? And can you still subscribe to JUST FilePlanet for $60/year, or is the Founders’ Club the only level with FilePlanet now?

I subscribe to all the major print mags, GameSpot and IGN. Should I throw my money around again and add GameSpy to the list? I’ll let you guys decide. :-p

Don’t send money to GameSpy at all, ever. Worst games site in recent recorded history.

Do yourself a favor and give All Seeing Eye your money. It is a far better server browser than GameSpy.

– Xaroc

I’ll probably sign up for the $15/year thing. Those flash ads that fill the screen and bring my computer to a screeching halt have got to go.

The Gamespot Complete thing has worked out pretty well, although I think IGN is actually charging me for ads and giving the non-paying viewers the ad-free version of the site. It’s like the end of Superman II over there.

Mad props for the Superman II action.

Is there where someone posts today’s press release about EA’s development rights to the Superman license? Ha.

On the subject of IGN, I’m not really sure why I’m paying for it ($20 was it?). IGN tells me I get these cool “Insider” items, but so far I never use that exclusive content except when they lock out some particular article.

GameSpy’s $15 ad-free service is akin to paying my phone company for a private listing or one of those call-answering services. It’s supposed to render telemarketing obsolete, but of course my phone company still grants access to these telemarketers to my phone number all the while some new technology makes my call-answering service irrelevant.

I really don’t see what’s so awful about GameSpy. You might say that my point of view is biased because I used to get a paycheck from them, but at the same time my experience in working with the GameSpy crew was that they were generally trying to put out the best content available. I tend to agree with their reviews more than any other site I read. The ads are a bit much these days, but that only bothers me if I have ad-muncher turned off for some reason.

Why do so many people have such ill-will toward them?

I really don’t see what’s so awful about GameSpy. You might say that my point of view is biased because I used to get a paycheck from them, but at the same time my experience in working with the GameSpy crew was that they were generally trying to put out the best content available. I tend to agree with their reviews more than any other site I read. The ads are a bit much these days, but that only bothers me if I have ad-muncher turned off for some reason.

Why do so many people have such ill-will toward them?[/quote]

I don’t. I think Gamespy is actually pretty decent. And fileplanet is cool because they have EVERYTHING! Downloading maybe a bit slow, but it’s not that bad.

I visit Gamespy on a daily basis.

Yes I don’t understand this angst for Gamespy. I have used both Gamespy 3D and the website itself for many years and it’s great.

It’s your money, and if you like it, by all means subscribe, but isn’t that logic sort of like Mafia “protection money” logic?

I’m really not trying to be an asshole here, however, I have a feeling it’s going to come off that way. Sorry if it does.

I remember when GameSpy was an exciting company with a cool product. Now it’s a corporate site with a product that riddles your system with spyware.

I hope so. I’m half Italian, so maybe I get a discount.

I’m going to go to Gamespy every day anyway, and those ads suck. This subscription is a little over a dollar a month. I think it’s worth it to avoid that frustration. Besides, I buy two or three bottles of water at a dollar a piece every day at work, so it’s not like I have any concept of how to spend my money efficiently.

Wow. That must be some good water. :)

Bear with me on this:

FWIW, today a friend browsed to gamespy.com to try to show me something, and I was amazed at all the ads. As a *NIX geek, for some reason I hadn’t seen all that stuff before. I’m now wondering if all that stuff only works in IE on Windows (I’m posting this in Safari on OSX).

I fired up my Windows box, and don’t really see any ads at all on Gamespy. On Windows, I use The Proxomitron (http://www.proxomitron.org) which is a free web proxy that rewrites HTML on the fly. You can create as many rules as you like, and that might help you read gamespy. (Granted, I didn’t browse the entire site.)

Although it’s not the path of least of resistance, I’d be curious to hear if it makes gamespy.com more bearable for you.

I like Gamespy. I wasn’t aware that they started out as a different company with different goals – I always thought they were games journalism site first. I knew from what I hear about Halo and such they did more than that, but I don’t know their history.

Anyway, as a games site, I think they do a good job of walking the line between professionalism and friendly gaming entertainment. At least the Daily Victim can sometimes be very chuckleworthy sometimes, I still laugh when I think of that one about burying the Sinistar arcade machine from time to time.

Their features are good fun to read as well and they seem do EVERYTHING at that site, if not for them, I wouldn’t have gotten some great older patches and files I needed.

The ads are really annoying though. I didn’t know that they’ve started targetting the ads to the country your from though…makes it even worse.

-Kitsune

i strongly urge everyone to look for the free download of ad-muncher. after my 30 day trial of no web advertising, it took only 2 days of ‘normal’ surfing for me to fork over the money to register it. No spyware ads, no flash ads with noise. it’s amazing how much better my web experience is now :)

I was watching TV today and can you believe that they expect me to watch ads RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FAVORITE PROGRAM?!? What the hell? Here I am, receiving my god-given right of free television and suddenly I’m interrupted by people wanting me to buy stuff. That is rediculous. And then I get something in the mail by a company called HBO that says that I have to pay them MORE money to not get the ads! Forget it!

Adam, I understand your point, but come on. Even the sex industry has figured it out. If you’re going to give it out for free, let us see it. If you’re going to charge for it, just tell us that and let us decide if we want to pay to see it. The interstitial ads BS and ‘ads overlaid on top of the website’ is pathetic.

I read somewhere that magazines people buy actually have advertisements in them too.

I second The Proxomitron. Great tool. Next best thing to Safari with PithHelmet (OSX).

Adam at Sierra: True, but during a TV program there is no flashy ad banner you have to stare at. A web site likes gamespy bombards you with ads constantly, so they become not ads but annoying distractions . You can’t compare watching TV (linear) to browsing the web (non-linear). It’s an entirely different thing, altogether.

<zaz>
“It’s an entirely different thing”
</zaz>

There is one cool thing about GameSpy (the website):

http://www.gamespy.com/stats/index.shtm

I continue to wonder about those Half-Life stats! :o

"I was watching TV today and can you believe that they expect me to watch ads RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FAVORITE PROGRAM?!? "

Does TV pop an ad up covering part of the screen up while the show is on?..No didn’t think so.