New GameSpy Subscription Service

Lets not forgot that we have to download them too. I never had to download ads from TV or Magazines.

Just another reason why I’m happy I switched browsers to Opera.

your favorite browser sucks.

:P

I really don’t see what’s so awful about GameSpy. You might say that my point of view is biased because I used to get a paycheck from them, but at the same time my experience in working with the GameSpy crew was that they were generally trying to put out the best content available. I tend to agree with their reviews more than any other site I read. The ads are a bit much these days, but that only bothers me if I have ad-muncher turned off for some reason.

Why do so many people have such ill-will toward them?[/quote]

Many years ago I had a run in with them when all they did was quake and TF. It all started due to them “buying out” PlanetFortress and PlanetQuake, making promises to the people that ran those sites and then backstabbing them in a quick order.

I don’t want to go into great detail about a lot of the shit that happened as to not completely dork and date myself, but there were some exchanges that took place and I can’t stand any of them today.

Gamespy bought out planetquake? I thought they were always one in the same entity?

And FYI Planetfortress was mostly a comedy act from the beginning - I knew most of the guys that ran it originally (Turbine, et al) and the site it was formed off of. Even ran a news site hosted on PF before we split off to our own domain…but I digress.

Point taken, but I have a question for the publisher reps on this board: what do you think about web sites turning off ads, thus eliminating your opportunity to advertise to that particular customer base? Clearly these are the ones that spend money, so aren’t these also the ones who are the most likely to see the ad for your product and then go out and spend the money to purchase them? And how is that different from ad blockers, which I’ve heard is hated by advertisers?

The point about the ad spyware is a good one: I can probably find adware that turns off GameSpy’s ads for $20, which is a far better investment then the $15 per year I’d have to spend to turn off just GameSpy’s ads.

Ad blockers are great if you feel entitled to get everything for free. I have no problems with the people at Gamespy trying to make a living and for 15 dollars a year I think you get a pretty good deal. Plus, if Tom Chick writes even one review for Gamespy that year and you get to read it without ads, yet at the same time support him and the other people who write for them, everyone’s a winner.

OK, brownie points aside, I like Gamespy. They’re not perfect, but they’ve posted some decent reviews and features in their time, so I don’t mind helping them out. Besides, it’s fifteen dollars a damn year. For the cost of a cup of coffee a month you can help a starving freelance game reviewer pay his rent. Isn’t that worth it?

I use proxomitron myself. I tried just using Mozilla to block popups but the ads with sound and just plain offensive ads basically forced me to run prox.

I used to not have a problem with banner ads back in the day they were there I noticed them a little but rarely clicked through. The problem with web advertisers is that they measure success with clickthrough whereas no one measures TV ads or billboards or other forms of advertising by such a stupid approach. No one considers a TV ad a failure if 10k people don’t run out and buy that particular item the day it is advertised. Banner ads worked fine in that they they got products in your mind when you saw them.

Since they considered banner ads failures they decided to go to popups and popunders and other annoying types of ads. All that did was piss people off and force them to install ad blocking software making all internet ads less effective.

Banner ads were working, the advertisers had the wrong expectation for them and hosed themselves and internet advertising by being greedy and annoying. They should have used them in conjunction with TV and radio spots to increase mindshare instead we got “UGO goes down on American McGee ads” and ads that made no sense to be selling to gamers.

– Xaroc

Yeah, a lot of people should have done a lot of things differently. There’s my short history of the universe. Right now, though, I have to make a decision between supporting Gamespy by sitting through crappy ads, supporting Gamespy with a subscription, not supporting Gamespy with ad blockers, and not supporting Gamespy by not visiting the site. I like Gamespy medium OK so I’ll buy a subscription.

If you don’t want to pay and you don’t like the ads, maybe Gamespy isn’t worth your time and you shouldn’t go there.

I don’t.

– Xaroc

OK, then.

Fine!

;)

– Xaroc

Hear Hear!

I personal blame the internet entrepreneurs who thought that any moron could sell advertising and promised advertisers the sun and moon. The company I work for spun off a splinter internet company that was funded by advertising. They brought in 5-6 content people and one sales rep. The sales rep knew nothing about the internet and had never sold advertising before. He started trying to drive traffic to the site instead of sell ad inventory and up and quit after two weeks. My boss decided that he and another investor could handle the ad sales enough to support the site. To my knowledge there was only one ad campaign that was actually sold and one other that was comped. The news director confided to me once that he worried about copyright violations because virtually every ad they were running was not only a freebie, but simply copied from some other site or medium without asking for permission from the advertisee.

Entrepreneurs promised huge, immediate results. But when the data showed the immediate results weren’t happening, sites got despreate and tied advertising to click-throughs and made ads more annoying. With results getting uglier, advertisers started pulling out. Everyone was in such a panic to improve immediate results, they forgot the foundations of advertising, and they expected viewers to behave irrationally (stop whatever they were doing, just to find out more about some random product.)

If I could go back in time, I’d love to start an ad-funded content site. I’d hire a certain radio ad sales rep I know because she’s absolutely ruthless, in a good way, and maybe one other content person. I’d design the site so that the ads would be intrusive and impossible to miss as you were viewing the content, but not annoying (there is a way, trust me.) I’d build a comphrensive idea of the demographics of the site. I’d sell advertising based on hits, and tell my rep to sell the fact that every hit is a guaranteed ad view. I’d charge, oh, maybe $.01-$.005/ad delivery (I just ran some quick numbers, and in my neck of the woods $.01/viewer is common for radio and newspaper, and is a bit low for TV.) I’d program the site so that any available inventory goes to PSAs, not to free ads because it’s too hard to put in a new ad. Maybe I’d even refuse to make individual ads hyperlinks to the advertiser’s site.

Interesting topic-and it’s been batted around for years, too.

Myself, all other considerations aside, I will probably never buy anything through a “pop-up/under” ad-they irritate me to end, and I won’t encourage their use by making them more effective.

Banner ads I can live with, and subscriptions, if that’s what it takes, I can live with also. But I’ve seen a few of my favorite sites go subscription, and lose most of the content (forums, mostly) that made them my favorite in the first place.

I am a consumer, nothing to do with IT or gaming other than using it for entertainment, and when a site annoys me, I’m gone.