New Gaming PC

Seeing some videos about build quality and also that the fans can hit 50 dB when the system is under load, I just cancelled my Alienware R10 order :-(

Anyone have experience with Newegg’s ABS systems, or recommend a different system builder?

Gamers Nexus liked the ABS brand.

Yeah their teardown is what got my second thoughts started, followed by a deeper dive into the interwebs.

I see an ABS config that matches the Alienware I was ordering, with a larger SSD and the bonus of no proprietary crap, for $200 more. Oh and a mouse and keyboard I don’t really need 😄 Leaning bigly towards it.

ETA: Boughtened. Will be here in a few days rather than the month Alienware would’ve taken. The “all the parts are off-the-shelf” thing finally got me. The fact that the price was competitive with doing it myself, even if I COULD find a discrete GPU, makes the lack of bloodletting that usually accompanies a build even better.

I have been patiently waiting to finally upgrade my 1070 and older PC (i7-5820K), but it doesn’t seem that graphic card availability is going to change anytime soon. I guess I will look into one of the pre-built PCs so I can get something sooner than later. Like some of you, it will be the first time I haven’t built my own in close to 20 years.

I am looking at the ABS brand that you mention there. I have been a Newegg customer for most of my PC building years and they have a decent variety of systems right now that seem to be in stock.

I currently game in 1440p (have one of those high refresh rate monitors) and have no plans to go to 4k in the near future.

Right now I am considering one of the following:

$1,999.99 for a R5 5600X with a 3070 Ti 8GB
$1,999.99 for a R7 5800X with a 3070 8GB
$3,199.99 for a R7 5800X with a 3080 Ti 12GB

The 3080 Ti only has a 850W PS, but that is okay I guess. I don’t have a problem with changing something like that out in the future.

Any other good deals going on right now that I should consider? Any advice or recommendations? I am leaning toward just paying for the better model/video card right now so I don’t have to worry about it for quite a few years and so I can enjoy some new games I want to get into with all the graphics settings higher.

I’d get this, and not spend a penny more. That will easily last you 4-5 years at high settings / 1440p.

$1,999.99 for a R7 5800X with a 3070 8GB

I assume it has at least 16GB of system memory?

Why not go with the 3070Ti if it’s the same price? Seems more important than the processor…

In the real world I’d expect those first two to be interchangeable. The markup on the third isn’t worth it IMO as the 3070 has plenty of performance for 1440. Is there something specific you want performance for?

I’d go with the extra 2 cores and 4 more threads , over the 8-9% increase the 3070ti will offer vs the 3070, at the same price. But that’s just me.

Probably depends on what the PC will be used for outside gaming.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

I tend to lean toward more performance on the CPU also, but I probably rarely use it honestly. It will mostly be used for gaming only. My work applications are not resource hungry at all and I don’t do streaming or any CPU intensive work outside games.

My main question was whether to consider the 3080 Ti, and I am glad to hear I can avoid that for now :). My wife will appreciate the lower price tag! The other discussion I will ponder for a bit.

Personally I’ll go for 5800X and 3070 combo. Video cards come and go but CPU stays longer. Better to get a future-proofing CPU.

IMO 3080 Ti is completely overpriced. Speaking from my local area, 3080 Ti is ~20% more expensive than 3080, but 3080 Ti only has ~10% more performance than 3080, so that’s a bad deal. YMMV depending on local condition.

I ended up going with the 5800X and ordered it yesterday. I couldn’t resist paying an extra $60 or so to have it delivered today. I can be a little impulsive once I decide I want something! One flight was delayed, though, so may be here tomorrow. Better than next Thu at least.

I must admit I am pretty excited to see how it performs. I believe I had a faulty 1070 as whenever I played a game that would stress the card, it would frequently crash the driver with some error and close whatever game I was playing. I ended up having to use the EVGA Precision whatever program and build a much more aggressive fan speed curve and even had to manually lower the power setting from 100% to 89% for it to be stable. So, I wasn’t even getting full performance out of it.

I can’t wait to see how ARK performs with all the graphic settings up higher (ARK was one I would crash in a lot and had to turn them down quite a bit). I also picked up New World so will be nice to see how well that looks. I better look into what people are doing to try to reduce the chance I burn my new card up! It sounds like there are some settings you can make to prevent what is happening to some cards.

It should be a fun weekend!

Don’t forget to try the Battlefield 2042 Beta. It’s pretty to look at on new hardware.

That looks pretty cool. Thanks for the tip. I don’t think I have ever played a Battlefield game, though, so just make sure you don’t get me on your team! It may be worth checking out just for the sights.

Got my ABS system a few days ago and so far, so happy. All off-the-shelf name brand parts - ASUS and EVGA in a clean Rosewill case with ample room for more stuff and plenty of fans with good airflow. The only additional “cruft” installed with Windows were Chrome and two website links on the desktop - one to the ABS site and one to Newegg.

Also a reasonable amount of RGB for extra speed.

I think I’d have zero reservations recommending them to anyone who asked.

I’m kinda wondering if I should have went with ABS for the off the shelf parts. When I compared it with the Alienware Aurora R10 I do think I got a bit more for my money with the R10, but it would be nice to have standard parts. I’m hoping the water cooled system helps it not to make a ton of fan noise.

Way cool. I was surprised when the UPS guy delivered it yesterday at 3:30pm! I had bowling night, but started my New World install and have most things set up that I need for now including VPN into work.

I am also happy with it so far. It even came with an EVGA gaming mouse and mechanical keyboard. Bonus! Time to fire up New World and try it out.

Grats everyone! Have fun, nothing like a New PC :)

We need some pics in this thread!