New GBA to be announced by Nintendo

I read the SP is launching the same day Final Fantasy Tactics is being released in Japan. I’ll probably take the dive when the GASP gets release here. Between FFT, the Mana remake, Tactics Ogre and the Advance Wars I’m just gonna have to cough up the cash.

Wow…even Gladguy joins the trolling. You must have missed this thread where it’s known that the Gamecube isn’t “failing” at all. :roll:

I still maintain there’s no good reason to buy a GameCube because the GBA is such a perfect handheld Nintendo platform. If you’re into the whole Nintendo license thing, why bother playing the newfangled updates when you can play the classics in their original SNES-y glory?

You simply have trolling down to an art form wumpus. As far as I’m aware, you haven’t even played the Gamecube games at all. But don’t let that stop you from making sweeping judgements of the system!

–Dave

Trolling

1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase “trolling for newbies” which in turn comes from mainstream “trolling”, a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll.

:wink:

pulls hook out of cheek

Ok, ok…ya got me. :)

–Dave

I still maintain there’s no good reason to buy a GameCube because the GBA is such a perfect handheld Nintendo platform.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I was playing Metroid Prime, Rogue Leader, and Super Smash Bros. Melee on my GBA the other day. Oh wait a minute, that was the 'Cube. Never mind.

:roll:

There are better strategy games coming for the GBA than there are for the big console systems. Kind of odd.

1. Where does it say that the GBA-SP is actually using the OLEDs? I don’t see that anywhere, and IGN and Gamespot mentioned that it was a front-lit screen. I’ve also read several forum posts (yes, I know that doesn’t count for much) where people were disappointed that they were not using OLEDs.

2. Advance Wars 2 is out later this year.

I never really needed a light on my GBA, but then again I never played in a real dark area.

Mike’s right…it’s not OLED. It’s the same screen in the GBA with internal front lighting. I’m not even sure how this thread arrived at that conclusion.

–Dave

The article on GameSpy about the GASP notes that there is a single plug that takes the battery charger and the headphones, so you can’t use both at the same time. That seems a little odd, as I used to run my original Gameboy in the car with an AC adapter and headphones simultaneously. Has Nintendo specified what battery life will be?

10 hours with the light on, 18 hours with the light off.

–Dave

And, according to IGN, three hours to fully charge.

There are better strategy games coming for the GBA than there are for the big console systems. Kind of odd.[/quote]

I know. Why the hell is that!!!?? I do not have a GBA as it is hard enough to justify my PC/PS2 purchases to my wife. I really want to be playing strategy games and the PS2 strategy roster reads like a list of high school lunchroom ladies (whatever that means). Are there ANY turn-based PC games coming out ever again? HoMMV…maybe…and then there is…Disciples III in 2006.

Are sales for PS2 and PC turn based strategy titles so abysmal that publishers won’t take any chances? I guess they are simply easier to develop and cheaper to make for the GBA and, therefore, less of a risk.

Now that my frustration is at its zenith, do I now have to wait for this new, fancier gizmo and pony up the extra $30?

And, according to IGN, three hours to fully charge.[/quote]

Good news then, as that will get me through most any day of travel. Thank you, kind sirs.

After talking to folks at the Kodak organic LED display at CES today, I doubt this is OLED. Prices are still too high for full-color units.

Interestingly, though, they had a GameBoy Advance converted with one of their OLED screens. AMAZING display. They also had an HDTV-resolution desktop monitor prototype. Absolutely the best display I’ve ever seen outside of, well, reality.

Yeah, it’s best not to leave any time for thinking or observing your surroundings. That can be dangerous.

From the “hey, we’re fucked” department:

------------------------------------------------ From TritonLabs.com: “My fellow gamers, the Afterburner has been a great success since its release in May of 2003 as a result of the unprecedented level of support it received from customers like you and the gaming press. It has offered gamers around the world an unbeatable value in enhancing their ability to play the Game Boy Advance. As of January 9, 2003, we are proud to announce that the price of the Afterburner kit has been lowered to $25. We intend to remain competitive with our flagship product despite the recent weather change in the portable gaming industry. Indeed at this new price point the Afterburner’s value for current GBA owners is even more impressive than before. Keep an eye out for two new product releases (neither light related) in the next three months. We are expecting to roll out our newest creation by the end of January. And the subsequent product is of epic proportions. To all of our customers: we will never forget your support and we hope you enjoy your Afterburners for years to come.” -Adam Curtis, President/CEO ------------------------------------------------

We are expecting to roll out our newest creation by the end of January.

It’s a kit to make your regular GBA fold in the middle.

Nintendo plans to sell both, and rightfully so. The price of a regular GBA will be a lot lower than a GBA SP. There will probably still be a market for the Afterburner, though not as large as before, obviously.

–Dave

Yeah, it’s best not to leave any time for thinking or observing your surroundings. That can be dangerous.[/quote]

Right. I had forgotten how fascinating airport interiors and the backs of airline seats are. They make excellent food for thought, as well.