New Hampshire

We live in Mass very close to the NH border. It is wonderful in that area in that Boston and Worcester and Manchester and Portsmouth, as well as nice places in Vermont and Maine, are all within an hour or so.

Nice to see that there are a few of us around here.

Mike

The White Mountains are great if you like skiing, and the Maine coast is fine during the summer. I just spent Saturday being a tourist in Ogunquit.

Other than that, the best thing I know about Nashua is that it’s only an hour our so away from Boston. It used to be that the reason to go to NH was to buy beer on Sundays, but now that’s changed. Oh, and I believe they don’t have any sales tax up there, so if you’re going to buy a TV or something, you go to the mall in NH.

The other perk of living in NH is you get to call people like me Massholes.

I don’t think living in NH is a prerequisite for that.

One of the perks of living in Vermont, where I grew up, is that you get to call Nashua “Nausea.” Get it? Get it? ROFLCOPTER!!111

Also, losing the Shrine Maple Sugar Bowl every year.

If you wack jobs that live up there want to have a get together, do it at Weirs Beach. That’s where one of the best classic arcades in the country is located and records fall on classic machines there just about every year. IIRC, it’s where Billy Mitchell played the perfect game of Pac-Man.

If you can get out to the Berkshires (Western Massachusetts) sometime, they are gorgeous (particularly in the autumn). There’s some good hiking at Monument Mountain and probably elsewhere. There are also some good ski sites like Butternut, if you are into that. (Or so I’m told; I don’t ski myself.) Also there is the Tanglewood music festival in the summer which is quite an attraction.

Are there any good microbreweries in the merrimack valley?

Very pretty part of the country, New England. Colder than I’d like, though. Also it’s in America, so there’s definitely room for improvement.

The really big ones in NH are Smuttynose and Red Hook… but both are in Portsmouth. Same with the Portsmouth Brewing Co. Not too sure about the Merrimack Valley, but prolly whatever’s out there sucks.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot about Starkmill Brewery in Manchester. That’s about it though.