New in-ear noise-cancelling headset: Bose QuietComfort 20i

How are they at blocking conversation? I generally use noise-isolating earplugs with a snug fit, for those times (on planes) when seated in front of someone who never learned to use an “inside voice.” Also, whiny toddlers.

I haven’t tried that, but I suspect “not well.” I could hear my someone leaving a message on my answering machine easily with them on.

Much better than anything else I’ve owned. It renders voice navigation systems unusable, unless you crank the volume on them while keeping your music soft. Nearby voices are reduced to more of a whisper voice, and some disappear almost entirely with just a bit of music. Really deep voices still get through (albeit more quietly), but all in all, it’s a great distraction reducer at work.

Good review (graphs!) here Bose QuietComfort 20 Review

That review was definitely a decent read. Well-written, and time spent both on objective measurements and subjective reactions.

Got to use these extensively over the last week. I do find they start to feel a bit uncomfortable after several hours, but I don’t know a headphone that doesn’t. The noise-reduction is just fantastic.

I do wish the case were a bit better. My old Bose had a fantastic case where you wrapped the cable around the outside of it, but that wouldn’t work with these because of the battery.

Westone UM-1 with its comfort tips. I wore this for 6 hours on an overnight trip with only a few breaks to “air out my ears”. Most comfortable earphones I’ve ever used, although it doesn’t have enough bass. My wife has the Westone 2 which is much better…according to her…

Comply Foam Tips sells replacement foam tips for all sorts of earphones. These are also very very comfortable…very little force pushing against your ears.

We’ve managed to break both of our pairs of these. Granted, they were used a lot, with many trips, and a very many baseball games (probably our favorite use of them, listening to the game on AM radio while at the park). Both of them have developed shorts of one kind or another in the cords, with one losing the media buttons and microphone (plus gaining a hum when not grounded by hand), and the other one losing a channel unless you wiggle the cord.

So, very well used and loved, but not quite as durable as we had hoped. They each broke around the 1-year mark, but I hadn’t bothered contacting customer support until now, a few months after the warranty has expired. I just emailed them today; I’ll follow up with the response.

I guess the Bose are not like the Shures, where the cord can be yanked out of the earphones and replaced?

As mentioned above, I emailed Bose a couple of days ago, and despite being out of warranty by a few months, no-cost replacements for both of our headsets are in the mail. That’s some damn good customer service.

Flying across the Pacific and back next month. Looking for some good noise-cancelling headphones. Wondering what people are recommending in 2019.

My problem with headphones is that I break them easily. My head’s size is in the upper percentiles, so I add a bit of extra stress to headphones, and the plastic inevitably cracks sooner rather than later.

So I figure if I get a pair of NCs, I’ll just use them only for flying. And it looks like I may be in for a lot of that in the coming years. So are the high-end Bose worth it at $350?

I’ve had a set of these for a few years and (to me) they are awesome. It may not fit your timeline, but I’ve seen them as low as $225 on sale. They’re got good Bluetooth battery life which can be extended if you use it via wired connection.

QC35 recommendation seconded
And FWIW, they’ve been by far the most robust headphones I’ve ever had. I replaced the earpads after a couple years but no sign of wear on the plastic, in contrast to my previous Sony and Sennheiser sets which both cracked.

The Sony WH-1000XM3 are the best noise-canceling headphones currently available. Someone finally dethroned Bose in the NC department. I sold my QC35 II after buying these.

They also charge with USB-C, so that’s one less device to use a crappy micro-usb cable. And they sound terrific.

I still keep some of the non-over-the-ear Bose NC headsets around, for when I need to wear a hat with a brim.

Btw, when looking for headphone reviews, Vlad Savov is the guy. Great ear, and a great sense of what matters in everyday use. Terrific all around reviews every time. Wirecutter is a distant second, if it’s something Vlad has reviewed.

Ordered the Sony 1000XM3. Got a “Renewed” version for $50 off, and picked up a 3-year coverage plan just in case.

Mine arrived an hour ago and of-fucking-course

That’s $279 new. I paid $299 for a refurb. Oh, well, I don’t think Drop offers optional insurance like Amazon does, but if you’re in the lust for some new high-end cans…

I have the MX1000 M3’s and absolutely love them. I had the original MX1000 that I gave to my wife, and the 3rd incarnation are a marked upgrade in sound quality.

Wow these look fantastic. One question to those who have it, on Amazon it says “Alexa built in”. Anyone tell me what that means? I definitely dont want Alexa. Do I need to get a different version or is this some marketing speak for “you can hook it up to a bluetooth device”?

Alexa is a setting you can select in the companion app, but the default is “Ambient Noise Reduction.” You put your right hand up to the headphone and it mutes noise-cancelling. When you remove it, the noise cancelling kicks back in. Why would you do that? Well, if the flight attendant is coming through and asking you a question, or your barista, or…

You can switch that functionality to Alexa, or Google Assistant.

Got it, so all the microphone recording & Alexa/Google for these voice features is based on an app?

So if I dont use the app no voice stuff will ever work? (this would be good)

Sorry if I come across as a bit paranoid I just ditched Alexa for privacy reasons so I am very keen not to have any voice stuff back in my home.

Thanks for the other info by the way. I am REALLY excited about these cheers!