New iPhone 3G: A little flighty...should I return it?

I just upgraded my iPhone 1 to a 3G on Saturday, but I’ve had to restart it twice now when pretty simple apps (Drop 7, Peggle) simply crashed out after trying to load for 10 seconds.

A restart fixes the problem, but I’m very worried that I’ve got a lemon. I should also mention that the first iPhone they pulled off the shelf at the store wouldn’t even start and they had to pull a second one. The serial numbers were consecutive.

Any thoughts?

get a Pre.

1. Ignore freedoom.

2. Do a restore of the phone first (via iTunes) to make sure you are not experiencing a software issue. If it still gives you problems after the OS restore, then you should take it back for another.

Yeah, return it. I have an iPod touch, not an iPhone, but there’s no way Drop7 (which I also have) should fail to load.

Sounds like you got a bum steer there, Spoofy. Can’t hurt to take it back and the longer you wait, the harder that always gets.

My iPhone 3GS occasionally gets into a state where nothing can access the data network. No email, no apps, no web, nothing - it just sits there spinning endlessly. For example this morning I tried checking email, realized it was in this state, went to get a shower and when I got done it was still spinning, trying to get my email.

I’d assumed this was a software problem but I honestly haven’t been dilligent about it - has anyone else run into something like this?

My iPhone 3G (not 3GS) didn’t used to do this but has started doing something like what you describe since the last OS update. Not always, but much more often than before it will get into a state where any network requests over 3G just hang even if the phone is reporting a 3G signal with full bars. When I switch to wifi or edge (or stay on 3G but reboot the phone) it usually works fine.

Fucking iPhone.

look at me! look at me! i demand attention!

I would take it back and get a new one. Even if the restore works, every time it locks up (which it will occasionally) you are going to wish you had exchanged it.

Get a 3GS. Problem solved.

Had the exact same problem – i.e., once a day or so, my 3GS would lose its connection to the network until I’d reset it. I’d sometimes go hours without realizing it because it always showed full bars. Missed lots of calls and emails. I assumed it was a physical problem with the phone because I’d never experienced the issue on my old 3G. Plus, it sort of “felt” like a hardware glitch. But it wasn’t the phone. It was AT&T. After swapping out my first 3GS for a new one failed to resolve the problem, the Apple folks told me to go to an AT&T store and have them “reset” my service and install a new SIM card (just in case). It took all of about 5 minutes for AT&T to do both and I’m trouble-free ever since. (Approximately a month.)

Word of caution: Make sure AT&T turns back on ALL of your services before you leave the store. Several days passed before I realized I wasn’t receiving any text messages because AT&T had forgotten to add back that part of my plan when resetting my account.

-Vede

You probably won’t get it trolling an iPhone thread.

Happening to me too on my refurb 3G. I’ll try Vede’s solution; hopefully that’s my issue as well.

iPhone OS 3.1.2 update is out today, changelog:

• Resolves sporadic issue that may cause iPhone to not wake from sleep
• Resolves intermittent issue that may interrupt cellular network services until restart
• Fixes bug that could cause occasional crash during video streaming

Seems like the issue I noted above was at least partly due to the last OS revision which makes sense since it popped up on me about the same time I last upgraded.

yet you replied to my post.

iPhone OS 3.1.2 just hosed my phone. The update downloaded, phone was backed-up, but the installation failed. Now iTunes can’t seem to restore the phone from the backup. Going through their error 1604 list of steps …

…Jesus. That was depressing. So none of those steps worked (USB port, create a new user to re-download software update). But a random blog comment about killing the iTunes process on WinXP before you hit error 1604 and then retrying works. Thanks random blog comment dude.

That’s scary. I had that happen to my 3GS a few weeks ago, but fortunately I only had the phone a couple weeks at that point, so didn’t have too much on it yet.

When I hooked it up to iTunes to get the MMS update, iTunes froze up and the update failed. It ultimately made me restore the phone and I lost everything, because apparently it didn’t back up properly (that happened to be the first time I hooked it up to my computer).