New Laptop has gone Bang

Yesterday I was using my HP Omen 17 to browse the web when there was a pop, a sizzle, it shut straight down, some moke out the back and a nice burning smell.

It is 8 weeks old, am in the process of sending it back to HP to be replaced but very disappointed this has happened.

Anyone had this happen

No, and I’m sorry for your loss. I would never buy an HP computer. This only reinforces that.

Sure, cold solder somewhere caused a short, or a cap gave out. These things usually break either when they’re very new (due to being defective) or very old.

Every HP laptop I have owned has been a disappointment. The first had its graphics go bad, the second had a defective touchpad. There was no third.

I didn’t remember until stusser mentioned it, but a cap sounds right. Did it smell funny?
Ah, HP. I remember one that fried the graphics card every time it put any effort, including Aero. And reading about the model where the monitor cable was constantly pressured by the edge of the hinge.

EDIT: I have no idea why I called him the wrong name. sorry, total brain fart.

Yeah, sounds like a capacitor allowing the magic smoke to escape.

These things happen. Usually within the first week or two though, not two months in, unless you didn’t use the laptop much.

I have bad news for you - a bad capacitor can present itself at any time, it’s not based on how new or old it is (though yes, it’s more likely to show an issue after being used for the first few times or after being very, very old).

8 weeks in used daily

I noticed recently my Acer Predator monitor is making a bit of a click or popping sound (like a mechanical clock hand) when changing resolutions (more specifically, I noticed when starting/exiting Overwatch). Is this the beginning of the end?

My son has an Omen and it had a battery charging issue while under warranty, not a blown cap. For whatever it’s worth, the turnaround was very quick (they also repaired damage he caused from dropping it once upon a time, free of charge).

Looks like HP skips the burn-in tests now.

Or he just got unlucky, I haven’t seen any widespread condemnation of HP for poor QA.

Well a little disappointed, it went kaput on the 6th and was not collected until the 13th and now I have an update saying it will not be returned until the 8th January at the earliest.

Does that seem reasonable or should I try to apply more pressure.

I would call them and say it was only 2 months old, and while you appreciate that it’s the end of the year and lots of their repair guys are on vacation, you’ll reverse the charges on your credit card if they don’t just send you a new one.

I am online with chat atm, problem is I bought it from Overclockers but am dealing direct with HP for the repair, overclockers would not do it, ,well said it would be quicker to deal with HP direct, i may have to go back to them and complain

Ahh, then you need to threaten whereever you bought it.

Getting nowhere with HP, annoyed I didnt make Overclockers do it, then I could be giving them the hassle and saying send me another, not sure I will get that option this time as I have already sent it to HP.

Frustrating as it’s an Indian call centre as well, all I get is I understand I understand BUT.

I’m like 5 weeks to repair an 8 week old laptop that should not have gone bang is not acceptable, i am being escalated atm.

Lookslike they will call me, any suggestions of an approach

Well, don’t you feel jolly yet? Christmas time is the worst, I hope you can find a solution.

Apparently I will get a call back with 48 hours, I asked if they actually do customer service, real joke, i’ll just ring overclcokers tomorrow and cancel the charge if they arent more helpful