New members, meet new friends. Welcome!

That would be cool. I love Car Wars. I’ve really been digging fantastical post-apocalyptic stuff like the book Who Fears Death that’s sort of more mythical and strange. Numenera is sort of like that too. That stuff is really fun aesthetic inspiration.

Right back atcha! A couple of years ago I was at a convention in Texas. A guy named Shawn stopped by my booth and we got to talking. We were both surprised to learn that we had been stationed on the same ship, in Japan, at the same time in the 80s, but we didn’t know each other then. We’ve been friends ever since. It’s a small Navy world out there.

No. Motion in VR is still janky. They need to fix that hardcore before it goes mainstream. There are some titles where it works ok but most are solidly locked in position. :(

Eek
Help
Spike!

Nice meeting ya too Skipper.

Despite my hundreds of days played I would never say I was addicted. I’ve played with addicted people tho and it’s scary. RL and family first, always for me. And it was never about the loot, it was always about the people, the community.

I’ve had that happen as well. I’ve also remained lifelong friends (and two that are lifetime gaming buddies) with many former Navy coworkers. I was last stationed in Italy, and sure wish I’d had a PAC cruise at one point. I kind of did time there post-Navy working in IT, but work travel misses out on the fun we used to have on port visits.

It is indeed a small Navy world.

I was single for a lot of that time period, mostly neglecting my extroverted and social norm. As such, I think for me personally, it was a bad thing. I agree completely though on the community and people over the loot. The groups were why I probably over-stayed and over-played.

FUCK YEAH. Loved that game. Blew my mind back in the day.

(Shrug) I had a couple. They were OK. Hitting Dubai six times was a low point (I was in during George the First’s little desert spat).

MED cruises were nice, even better when the ship was stationed over there. I shouldn’t complain. I hit 17 countries around the Mediterranean Sea and Black Sea.

But the brass was pretty uptight on this side. The rumors (or truths) were that PAC based crews were a little more loose and had a little more fun. I’m sure that’s probably horribly wrong, so perhaps it’s just me not knowing it was the same routine we had.

It’s always greener on the other side. Did you guys at least dip down below the Equator (in the Atlantic) to get your Shellbacks?

WESTPACs have a looong time between ports…

I did a UNITAS (that’s what they were called then-Round Cape Magellan) in the early 90s.

Some crews did (on same ship), mine did not, however.

Damn, there are DOZENS of us. :) UNITAS sounds like it would have been fun.

MED cruises were a lot of short hops, and many times multiple ports per country on the same cruise. Based in region made it quite awesome, the trip back to home port was no more than a few days from any point.

Yeah I was an FC,. Great for bonus money, but not if you have no interest in/talent for fixing hardware. Though I was qualified on a 76 mm OTO Autocannon and Harpoon. And Trained for/did NCB VBSS. But that stuff gets uncool after age 22-25 ish.

I worked my way through college after that and then went in the Army, actually.

If anybody does a Car Wars style game, please use real physics (real time playback, but turn based input) and freeform car building. Sort of like Darkwind but with a proper UI, far more configuration build-wise and single player. I had a design for something like this once, but we decided to move in a different direction and it’s not happening.

I have very little interest in a turn-based car battle simulator, that just feels like it misses the point entirely.

Not when you can control a big squad of cars against a massive armored rig…

I was a DS, now gone as a rate, but it was IT prior to IT spinning off and getting absorbed into other rates and eventually landing as IS now. I covered some intel spaces as well which was a different rate but there was a lot of overlap.

I was an idiot and enlisted -with- a degree, because I believed the song and dance my recruiter sang. I applied within for OCS but had to wait until after schools to do so and got turned down due to force reduction post gulf-war. I decided to ride out my enlistment and make my way and picked up 1/2 my MBA along the way. I regret nothing, it was a great time.

Have you played Car Wars? It’s different than you’d think. It’s not like some sort of deep tactical game. It’s more a generator of insane chaotic silly moments. It works because a whole battle comprises about 20 seconds of time, but you see all the horrible stupidity of it in slow motion over the course of 45 minutes. It’s like ultra-slow-motion post-apocalyptic satire, but also secretly really cool at the same time.

Yeah, I played the board game, I was kind of obsessed with it as a teenager. But it’s different with board games, you have to work a little more abstractly to simulate speed and motion. Computers am do that wonderfully though, which is why I would find it hard to give up. Rather play Interstate ‘76 again than a new turn-based sim, personally.

Speaking of the Steve that is the Jackson - has anyone ever played “Cadillacs and Dinosaurs”?