New music from the year 2021

Catching up, I think I like the Chills song well enough. It certainly engages with Martin’s love for weird fantasy/pop culture and sci fi.

And that Stereolab song is just fantastic! As is the new Teenage Fried Chicken!

And speaking of, here’s Octubre’s (Murcia, Spain’s version of Teenage Fanclub) first song in a LONG time. And yeah, you could dwell on how much it steals from “Alcoholiday”…or you could just go with the flow because it’s still a great song.

Loving this year’s new Mechina release, even if the bonkers scifi CW drama plot makes as little sense as ever. It’s basically Coheed & Cambria without the bad comics.

Very relevant band Eve6 have a new EP on the way, their sound has evolved somewhat from the heart in a blender days.

and here’s more what you’ve come to expect from me, the Russian post-punk band Ploho have a new album out

New teaser single from Flyying Colours

New album two weeks from today. :)

New Arab Strap album this year, the first in 16 years

New Dinosaur Jr album later this year, co-produced by Kurt Vile who plays 12 string on the song below. And that’s totally a painting of Hedorah.

I know I know, I’m like the only person listening to new music…

The Horrors are putting out a new EP apparently after spending a lot of time listening to Killing Joke and 90s industrial
https://youtu.be/dzHeH3fzUdo

Nice! I saw Kurt guesting at a Dinosaur Jr. residency show some years back, along with Sharon Van Etten and Kevin muthafuckin’ Shields.

This literally just premiered in the past hour
https://youtu.be/xzH6toY_EPw

Nice! Great band, cool song, and bonus points to WH for delivering us the fresh tunes hot out of the proverbial oven.

I was waiting for the crescendo and I wasn’t disappointed.

New single from local Raleigh, NC poprock/synthwave-y act Flood District, featuring at least one employee of Epic Games for extra Qt3 drama :)

Jay Som and Palehound have joined forces for a new project, Bachelor.

Okay, what the fuck?

I’m going through my weekly Release Radar on Spotify and was surprised to see a new track from Red House Painters.

Wait, why does that sound like a cheesy fantasy videogame instrumental? Has Kozelek gone even further down the road where artistic evolution turns into trolling your audience?

I keep scrolling and find a new track by The Walkmen…

You guessed it. More instrumental fantasy videogame cheese.

I think this is the first week in months where my Release Radar hasn’t had a song by a band that’s not actually the band. For me it’s usually some hiphop artist/producer/dj that’s decided to use the same name, though there have been some really weird other cases like the triphop band calling themselves The Fall.

There are all kinds of attempts to fake out the algorithm. I’d guess that they’re flooding Spotify with pre-made tracks and naming them after existing bands. Do a million of those and get 100 people to bite per song, you’ve made a tidy sum.

It’s enough to make you pine for a record store run by human beings.

These things always have cheap, generic song titles and art, presumably because it’s being generated by a computer. It’s always a single song, not an album or EP even. And the copyright label will be something you’ve never heard of or just a generic distributor name.

At this point, I’ve become pretty good at spotting a fake.

I was certainly suspicious about The Walkmen as they’re no longer a going concern.

I really wish the Release Radar would put albums and single songs in separate sections.

An actual band with an actual new release – in fact a new release delayed by about 8 or 9 months because of the pandemic – we got us a new Flyying Colours record today! It’s called Fantasy Country, and now we know what the extra “y” is in the band’s name: it makes it fantasy.

A couple of teaser singles from it came out last year in anticipation of this album getting an early summer release, but there are some corkers that weren’t in that pre-release batch, too.

For instance, this track that closes the album, “Boarding Pass”. There is a rock and roll rule I was taught years ago by a very rocking bass player: if you find a fantastic groove, stay the fuck in that groove come hell or high water.

Thus: