New Music in 2023 - one day, we'll be cool

At the risk of making trig jealous, we had a great time seeing Weyes Blood in Brooklyn last night. I heart Natalie. Here are a couple semi-to-very grainy 4K videos I recorded. Enjoy!

@Alstein, are you a music fan?
I’m in tune with Fever Ray right now.

thanks!

Thanks for those videos! I think I am definitely going to end up seeing her this summer…

No secret that I think Caroline Rose is one of the most unique and interesting artists in music right now…and their new album just dropped today. And whereas on their previous albums, Caroline was adopting various personae to great humor and irony (and truth), this one is their breakup album, and it can sometimes hit a little too close to home on some of the dark places where a breakup and anxiety and even depression can leave a person.

That being said, of all the tracks I’ve listened to so far, this one has grabbed me the most. I think it’s one of the best songs I’ve heard this year.

Nice! Thanks for the heads up. I missed that this was out today.

That Caroline Rose album is just aces. I’m obsessed with the first track.

Look who’s back! I’ve missed her very much.

New Chemical Brothers single in advance of their tour. They’re still working on their new album, no date for that yet.

Not sure if there are any other Ren fans out there but he released his new single today.

In 2013, musician/singer/songwriter/writer Scott Miller of Game Theory/The Loud Family took his own life. It hit me pretty hard, because he was one of my favorite artists…but also (and maybe mostly) he seemed (at least to outsiders like me) to have things figured out. It was a horrifying up-close lesson to me on the masks that people with depression sometimes wear.

But. The group of musicians he’d been working with decided after a time that they enjoyed one another’s company a lot. The core of them were three French guys who’d been playing together in bands for a few decades. Along with Miller’s occasional mentee and recent collaborator Anton Barbeau they decided to make a record under the band name Salt, as an acknowledged influence and paying homage to Miller’s memory. It’s a real solid record.

While they were working on their second record it came to light that the producer of that second record (you can probably work out who) had engaged in sexual harassment and maybe even sexual assaults on a number of women…and so disgusted by this person’s behavior, Salt decided to call it a day.

But then…some things started to happen. Some music folks would ask about the band and heard what had happened. And they were interested in seeing the project resurrected. And when those persons are members of The dBs, I guess you listen. So dB’s guitarist Chris Stamey stepped in to produce and play and sing some. His other dBs bandmates came along as guest musicians on a few tracks. Word got around, and Nada Surf frontman Matthew Caws was interested in singing on a song or two. So was Juliana Hatfield.

And with so many guests, Salt became The Salt Collective. And they’ve just released their first single, with Caws and Hatfield on vox. It’s pretty good.

That’s the only released track so far. Other collaborating musicians and part of The Salt Collective include the legendary Richard Lloyd, Matthew Sweet, Susan Cowsill, and Matt Douglas of The Mountain Goats. Really looking forward to hearing some more.

Sounds like a bunch of people making music I want to listen to! Thanks!

Never heard of him but went looking for more and I like this one better…

I couldn’t get past the drum machine.

Probably more a pet peeve of mine, I just like real drums better.

Natalie Merchant is making music again
https://youtu.be/Zs6GkCbxnyw

Altın Gün is hitting my consciousness. Like Khruangbin, the Texas band appropriating world music, especially Persian sounds (that I would probably otherwise know nothing about) to make beautiful rockin’ music, Altın Gün is a Dutch band appropriating Turkish sounds (that I would probably otherwise know nothing about) to make beautiful rockin’ music. In this case they make psychedelic rock versions of Turkish folk songs.

Rakıya Su Katamam is a banger, as the children say.

https://youtu.be/GsaRfnZCHCo

Cool stuff. Thanks, Djsc.

Nation of Language announced a new album coming this September and shared two new songs…