New Rush Tour Announced

It’s funny, maybe it’s because of my age – I was just discovering the joy of music in general and Rush specifically as these albums were coming out – but I’ve always thought of the stretch between Permanent Waves and Grace Under Pressure as incredible because they released what I consider to be four perfect albums in a row.

Yeah, but Farewell to Kings.

I love all of their 80s synth-centric stuff, except “New World Man” and “Kid Gloves.”

If there are any albums I don’t listen to, it’s their debut, Presto, and Vapor Trails.

Presto’s not a great album but it has one of my favorite songs from that era of Rush’s catalog, “Red Tide:”

I love Presto, actually. The only albums I don’t like that much are Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows (aside from a few tracks).

I love Snakes and Arrows. It really grew on me. The 2 instrumentals are just fantastic.

The first half of Presto with the exception of “Scars” is great, especially “The Pass” and “Presto”. 2nd half not so much but there are still a couple of good tracks.

What takes away from that album and a few of their other albums is the overall thin sound - Presto, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones, those albums could have done with quite a bit more low end. They’re slightly shrill.

We need a greatest RUSH album poll!

Right on point there. I really think those albums have some incredibly strong moments, but prefer the live version so much more as they often (though not always) sounded better on the live albums. Much more full sound.

There is a track-by-track review out there of Clockwork Angels. Pretty glowing review. Hope the album really is great. I am very excited about another Rush concept album.

Hold Your Fire is rescued by some of Geddy’s finest bass playing, though.

That is true. Same with Power Windows. I spent weeks learning to play Prime Mover perfectly. Didnt play it for a few months and forgot it completely, figured it wasnt worth the hassle to relearn it, heh. Love that song, definitely one of their finest.

I love the 2nd half of Power Windows, the last 3 tracks are gorgeous songs. I may be biased since it was the first Rush album I ever listened to, and I listened the heck out of it. When I had my fill, I went to the record store and promptly bought the only 2 Rush tapes they had: 2112 and Fly By Night. More different they could not be from Power Windows, but man was I hooked. I think I listened to those 2 albums every night in bed for the next year straight. Where is that poll? Though it would be incredibly difficult to pick a favorite…

Fly By Night is underrated in some ways - it’s one of their most consistently great albums. Great sounding too.

The Different Stages live album had a 3rd (bonus?) disc of a 1978 concert which had an awesome live version of By-Tor & The Snow Dog (and Xanadu!).

It (Fly By Night) also has their worst track, “Rivendell.”

Well I wouldn’t say “Rivendell” is my favorite track, but it’s hardly my least favorite. I’d certainly rather listen to it than, say, “I think I’m going bald”, most of the first album, the Necromancer, and several songs on Grace Under Pressure.

It certainly beats Nimoy’s Tolkien-inspired song any day! :)

I think the worst anthology ever would be a collection of Tolkien themed songs. Someone should make a terrible Spotify playlist.

Good point Omnisci, but I can think of worse:

Lakeside Park
I Think Im Going Bald
Twilight Zone
Nearly everything on Counterparts
Dog Years

Those are a few from memory, sure I could find more if I look through my CDs.

And listening to Hold Your Fire and it acfually sounds fuller than I remember it, not as overly crisp as Presto or Power Windows and bass sits nicely in the mix. Listening through Grado SR80rs which arent the bassiest headohones (but very detailed).

Sure, some of those songs (“The Necromancer” is a guilty pleasure) are pretty weak, but they’re nowhere near as soporific as “Rivendell.”

As far as folky, Zep-alike fantasy ballads go, I’d rather listen to Heart’s “Dream of the Archer.”

Heck yeah! Love that song. Heart is my guilty rock pleasure.

Heart rocks! And now im imagining Rush with Nancy Wilson doing vocals!

I imagine it would sound something like this.