New Rush Tour Announced

Holy crap. I just read the liner notes in the little digital booklet, and they recorded one of the songs in Nashville in April. THEY WERE IN THE SAME COUNTY AS ME. (hyperventilating)

Take 5, jerri. hands paper bag to her

Yeah, I noticed that the other day and deliberately refrained from mentioning it… Way to go, jerri!

I have to believe they are just as disappointed not to have run into me as I am them.

Or something like that.

I have no heart to lie. They can’t pretend a stranger is a long-awaited friend.

Oh, well played Rimbo. Well played.

applause

I bow in your general direction.

Thank you, thank you!

I always think I want to meet them, too. And then I remember the lyrics to “Limelight.” And then I’m like, “Fuck 'em.”

Technically, “Fuck him.”

Yeah, I sense that NP’s the only truly anti-social one of the three. To be fair, though, he’s probably had to deal with a lot more nutso fanboys.

You know, that song came out nearly thirty years ago. Maybe he’s changed?

All true.

On the other hand… they all still use their stage names.

On the other other hand… every real fan pretty much knows their real names, and their nicknames for each other, anyway.

He’s also had to deal with the death of his daughter and wife in the space of about a year. That’s why he “retired” from PR duties a few years ago. He always has been the most introverted of the three though. Geddy and especially Alex strikes me as more happy-go-lucky guys while Neil is the brooding thinker.

My wife and I just got back from seeing the documentary, and both really enjoyed it. I was really impressed by how focused the movie was in comparison to Sam Dunn’s Metal movies. The movie does a fantastic job of showing what the band was and why they were like that. If you missed it you should definitely pick it up when it’s released on video in two weeks.

Definitely going to, seeing as it didn’t screen here…

Seconded. And it was something else watching it in a theater, surrounded by like-minded Rush fanatics.

It was actually a pretty moving experience, especially when they got to talking about Neil’s wife and kid dying.

Thanks for reminding me about this. It screens in Nashville this week, and Peter Collins, one of their former producers, is going to be on hand for a Q&A after the Wednesday night screening. He’s based in Nashville now, I think.

I didn’t like the theater’s blurb, which contained this:

Viva Candanian Rock! Last year brought Anvil. This year brings Rush.

Rush is NOT Anvil, assholes.

Oh man.

That’s just wrong.

You’ll love the movie, jerri. There are some very memorable bits in there. And unprecedented looks at their lives as kids (interviews with their parents!) and stuff. You will NOT be disappointed. And some excellent lines from modern rock artists showing them the love (Billy Corgan, Sebastian Bach, Jack Black, Les Claypool, Kirk Hammett…)

It was neat seeing the movie in a packed theater filled with other Rush nuts. The audience was very quiet for the most part, rapt with attention, soaking up every bit of the movie.