New Rush Tour Announced

Ewwww, Sebastian Bach? Bleh.

Did anyone at least get a good dig or two in at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

He’s not on screen that much.

Anyway… documentary is getting very favorable reviews, even from people who don’t like Rush.

In actual tour-related news, my ticket arrived in the mail today.

Was never a fan of, uh, Skid Row(?), but saw an interview with him years ago. Sort of a “Where are they now?” thing. He was doing live musicals, more opera style as I recall. I’ll give him credit even if I was never a fan of his rock music, he had some serious vocal chops based on the interview clips.

That’s cool, then.

My exposure to him has been limited to Skid Row and whatever nostalgia-fest VH1 had him hosting in a given week, and neither really grabbed me.

He’s actually quite intelligent.

True enough. I was just referring to the fact that he wrote the actual line that Rimbo quoted.

He made a couple of noticeable errors though. He misquoted the French phrase from Circumstances and attributed 2112 to The Fountainhead (2112 actually resembles a different Rand yarn, Anthem).

/geek

But yeah, seeing this in a room full of other fans was a great experience.

Awesome, awesome flick. I had a dopey grin on my face the whole time. And it’s always nice to be among fellow Rush fans. Most of the time I move through life feeling like the biggest dork in the room, but with Rush fans I’m home, among my people. :)

Peter Collins answered questions for about 15 minutes afterward - nothing incredibly revealing or insightful, but it was cool to have him there.

This movie reminded my of one reason my Rush fandom has endured. I have liked bands whose members I was pretty sure were dirtbags or assholes, but I was willing to overlook it if they were talented. I don’t have to do that with Rush, because they are the whole package - incredibly talented guys who happen also to be incredibly good guys.

That, and they keep on trying to grow as musicians, do new things, whatever.

Neil Peart taking drumming lessons, man.

Oh. And they’re nerds. :)

I seem to recall that the Gruber technique he picked up messed him up badly and he ended up going back to matched grip and his more straightforward style. I can’t find anything on that now. Maybe I just dreamed that.

It’s the fact that he tried to improve and expand that I find admirable, even if the ultimate result wasn’t very good.

Kinda like Ged’s synth phase.

Or Victor. (Which, aside from the title track, was very good.)

Did you like Geddy’s solo release, My Favorite Headache? It was quite a bit more melodic (and palatable) than Victor. I liked them both.

Haven’t had a chance to check it out yet. But I’ve always been more on the noisy side. Victor suits me great.

I loved it and played it to death. I also liked Victor, so maybe I’m in the minority there. Not to sure about the new single though.

Preordered the DVD of the documentary yesterday, it releases in about a week woot!

I found MFH to be enjoyable, but a tad too safe for me. At least with Victor, Alex was really doing some things that would never have found a place on a Rush record. I enjoy them both, find MFH far more listenable, but Victor far more interesting.

Yeah, I don’t think it messed him up, I think he just decided to go back to matched grip. As far as I know he still plays the TFE material with traditional grip live, so it can’t be too much of a problem for him.

Regarding Victor/My Favorite Headache, I like them both, but I think Victor holds up better. The only track on MFH that I still really dig is the title track, which is really the only track on the disc with any teeth. As much as I love the guy, I just don’t think Geddy’s vocals are strong enough to carry an album full of what is basically ballad-centric mellow rock.

Rush ‘Moving’ On Tour, Recording New ‘Clockwork’

Sweet… “Beyond the Lighted Stage” will be on VH1 on Saturday, 9PM EDT. sets DVR

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up. Set to record.

That was a great dockumentary. My wife, who knows nothing of Rush and doesn’t even really like rock music, watched and enjoyed with me. I really liked Billy Corgan’s thoughts, he summed up how I feel to a T and was pretty articulate about it. Loved Jack Black’s falsetto Spirit of Radio rendition :) The video of teenage Alex arguing with his parents about dropping out of school was hilarious - who the heck thinks of filming something like that? “I don’t want to drive down the street and everyone say ‘There goes Alex, he’s got a lot of money…’” :D