New Starforce DRM

I was also looking forward to HOMM V, but not with SF. I wrote the publishers (not the developers, they have no say in this usually) and told them with SF it’s a no sale. I’d respectfully ask others to do the same and maybe we can get this to change.

I’ve tried email campaigns earlier… well, perhaps not a campaign as I only sent off a email without trying to get anyone else to do it…

The results were not encouraging. No reply, and the game was still released with the trainwreck copy restriction.

Oh whell… Money saved at least :-)

I’ve been in on the starforce boycott for awhile. I talked with the manager of my local eb who was going to try some pc games that I remembered were on the starforce list (etherlords 2 combat missions,) they were pennied out so it didn’t cost him anything. He had no idea about starforce til I told him about it , and now he won’t play any games with it on either.

I’m steering clear of Starforce infested games, too. Though missing out on Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich is hard. :(
But there’s a line to be drawn in the sand.

US version in non-SF’d.

I thought that the NA version was not using SF for SR2?

I gave in once because I really wanted to play SH III, but after some of this latest stuff its not going to touch my system again. I’ll just play stuff like the Persia and the Splinter Cell games on the Xbox.

Some of them. If I can’t find a crack, then I’m stuck with the drive dongle until one is available.

I occasionally have the misfortunate to buy a Starforce game. The one that bugged me most was Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Since I moved up to XP x64, I haven’t been able to play it, and that frankly pisses me off. And that’s why I’m thinking about not bothering with the next one. Even if it works, I’ll have lost out on a significant part of the storyline because they’re stupid. That’s just fantastic.

I hope Ubisoft burns over this just as much as Starforce is already.

US version in non-SF’d.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, Moore. Bought right this second. Bling!

Is there a list somewhere of SF protected games?

Kills me that I’m gonna miss HoMM V but Starforce games won’t be gettting any of my money either.

Here’s one list. And another.

Note that neither distinguishes between a game using Starforce in one region and not another (such as Freedome Force vs. The Third Reich).

No problem, always glad when someone buys an Irrational game, I worry about those guys ever since LGS died.

I thought the FF games were way too fiddly for all-out superhero [tm] action, and that T:V sucked big balls, but boy, SS2 & SWAT 4 rock.

I think I’m going to be okay with not purchasing HoMM5 dispite it being one of my most anticipated games this year. Since my pre-order of the GalCiv2 CE fell through (the delays were going to put it too close to Oblivion release for me to really enjoy it), I think I’ll pick that up when HoMM5 is released instead. It’ll be a double revolt against SF.

Although, I’m only joining the boycott on principle. I’ve never personally encountered any issue with the couple of SF games I’ve had on my old systems, but since my current system has been SF-free, I don’t feel any particular desire to chance it. At least not right now.