New stationary Gaming PC

First, don’t buy any video cards until the 3000 series drops later this year. Second, I don’t personally believe in the value of having dual-video cards. Just get one better card, and save a lot of money and power draw.

I actually wasnt aware it was a dual card - what matters is performance to me. And I am not going to wait until fall, but thanks! :-)

I’m only going by the “s” at the end of it, and it says like “dual” so that’s why I brought it up. Really, a 1070 is a great card and probably all you need. What size/resolution monitor are you running with?

The computer is primarily for use on my 4K smarttv - Big screen games, like Skyrim, Fallout 76, Cyberpunk, all the Ubisoft games. Ghost Recon REALLY likes a fast card as well.

And - as I wrote initially, what finally broke my gaming laptops 2070 card, was Skyrim fully modded, which more or less requires a 8 GB card. And I tell you, that Skyrim in 4K is glorious…but I cannot run it! And I see that most people cant, unless they have a 8 GB card, without stutters.
That, and all my other wonderful controller based games!

You’ll want a very, very beefy card to get high/max settings at 4K, just be aware. My 1080Ti can struggle to get 60fps in 4K, though I normally run 1440p on my displays. A 1070 won’t really cut it like you want, unless you are okay with a mix of Med/High settings (vs. High/Ultra).

I believe the recommendation is the 16xx series rather than the 10xx series right now, for the lower end of gaming cards. I have just gone for a 1650 Super for my latest upgrade. But then I’m planning to run at 1920x1080. If you have a huge screen you’ll definitely need more.

Depending on what games/apps you’re planning on using, there’s a good chance that you’re better off going with a 3600 now for less than half the price and then upgrading to whatever is a $200 chip in two years. Just make sure you get one of the forward compatible motherboards as mentioned in the thread.

There’s not a ton of clock speed performance difference between the 3900X at $400+ vs the $175 3600. The biggest difference is in CPU cores, and there’s not a ton of normal user applications where having 12/24 over 6/12 is going to be really noticable. The difference between them in any gaming benchmarks I’ve seen is < 10%.

The 3600X has the same clock speed as the 3900X and is about $200 and is 6/12 cores. So that’s also an option.

Thanks Lantz - And what about older singlecore games - dont they rely on clock speed and thus the fastest? As I mentioned earlier, I have been out of this game for a long time, so I really dont know much about these things.

Any reason you mention 3600 and not 3700 for instance? And yeah - its waaaayy cheaper!

3700X is just more $ and being 8/16 cores is the biggest feature of it. It seems like a good chip too, but just if you’re going to primarily game you really just need a CPU that can keep up with your GPU and going well past that is overkill that you don’t really get a ton of advantage for.

While the 3700X or 3900X are going to be more future proof in theory, in practice you’re probably better off saving the money now and then upgrading down the line.

As far as single core mattering most for older games, that is true to some extent, but any of these CPUs are going to handle any older game just fine and modern games need a balance. Plus you’re not getting any significant single core improvement between the 3600X and 3900X (and not a ton between the 3600 and 3900X). You’re mostly just paying for more cores. Which, if you compile a lot of code or do other tasks that will use them is great, but if you’re gaming there just isn’t a ton of value there right now.

Awesome - Thanks for taking the time to explain. A lot cheaper already, thanks to all the excellent suggestions here!

I would just say that I went through this recently and went with the 3600 for the reasons above, but I also would suggest just looking at some benchmarks of the games you like to play with the CPU/Video Card you’re planning on buying to double check that they look good.

If you want to play Microsoft’s new flight sim, absolutely go with more than 16 Gig of RAM.

As a life-long Intel fan… go with AMD. AMD doesn’t f*ck you over so bad by making you switch motherboards at the drop of a hat. If you go with a good mobo for the AMD chip you get, chances are good when you want to upgrade it, you can just upgrade the cpu. Intel bends over backwards to do the opposite because they make more money forcing people into new motherboards. That, and the fact AMD is about to blow Intel out of the water over the next 2 years means it’s a good time to jump ship on Intel.

I went with the 3900X because my computer is not a game console. I always have 50-75 Chrome tabs open. I have Steam, Epic, and other apps open. Even when idle my CPU rarely goes below 15% utilization.

When I’m gaming, I always alt-tab out to do other things – like write this post. If the game uses too much CPU, Chrome will lag to the point where typing becomes slow. No fucking thanks.

Gimme cores. Lots and lots of cores.

I think ‘dual’ on these ASUS cards refers to the two fans

Very possible. But earlier it was writtten out “2070s” and that contributed to my thinking.

Haha yeah ‘s’ is the ‘super’ part I think, not plural. :)

Confusing!

It’s worth considering the actual prices on that site, rather than just what would generally be a good choice.

Upgrading from 3600X to 3700X costs 903 DKK or $132.30 USD
Upgrading from 3600X to 3900X costs 2095 DKK or $306.88 USD

That’s pretty much the same difference as retail price, not really overpriced. Since of the rest of your system is pretty damn high end it’s quite temping to future proof a bit with the 3700, especially if you know for sure you aren’t the type of person who will ever upgrade the CPU in this system in the future. It’s a big unknown whether the new consoles will mean devs actually use 8 full zen cores, but it is possible.

Recommend downgrading CPU cooler to the Noctua NH-D15S at a minimum instead of the full D15, even with a 3900x. Very little difference between them, the D15s is actually quieter, and saves a bit. If you decide to go with the 3600X or 3700X you could downgrade further to the Noctua NH-U12S. (Honestly it would be fine with the 3900x too.)

That Fractal case is very nice is nice but if you want to save a bit the Cooler Master MasterBox MB500 saves you 479 dkK and is totally fine. (I think you’d have to downgrade the cooler from the full D15 to fit in this one.)

I too have a Meshify C case, in a build made in early 2019. And now I realize I have not opened the case since, only cleaned the front. I guess I should take it to work next week, where I have a full sized compressor.

I wish that site Razgon is using offered it, they only offer the Fractal Design Define R6 which is almost twice the cost. I personally spend on the case because I tend to change components a lot and I always regret cheaping out and having what should be a simple upgrade be a huge pain, but if you never plan on opening it up, it’s a good place to save a bit.

If you really want somthing quiet though the R6 is the way to go. You can open the front door for performance/airflow, and close the door for quiet. But it does add 70 dollars by itself over a solid cheaper case.