New Top-3 games lists? PSP, DS, consoles & PC

I’m trying to come up with good Christmas ideas, and all of the “best games on platform x” lists I’ve seen aren’t very current. So… if you could only take 3 games (per platform) with you on vacation (or exile) with your system(s) of choice (Gamecube, PSP, DS, PS2, either XBox, well anything you find to still be a compelling system really), what would they be?

GAMECUBE: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Pikmin 2, Mario Kart: Double Dash

PSP: Lumines, Burnout Legends, Hot Shots Golf/Virtua Tennis (tied)

DS: Mario Kart DS, Trauma Center

PS2: Guitar Hero, God of War, GTA: San Andreas

XBOX: Burnout Revenge, Capcom Classics Collection, SSX On Tour

Those are the games on each system that I’ve enjoyed playing the most over the last few months, at least.

PS2 would definitely be San Andreas, Makai Kingdom, and Culdcept.

If you have a modded Gamecube, Mr Driller Drill Land would be spots one, two, and three on the list. Otherwise, Super Monkey Ball 2, Animal Crossing, and Kirby Air Ride. (That last one might not be a popular choice. Maybe the last two.)

The choices get harder on the other systems, so I’ll pass on those.

Wow, the former EIC of PC Gamer doesn’t list a single PC game.

Heh, I was only picking games for the systems ciparis listed. But looking back over the original post I see he also said “anything you find to still be a compelling system.” (Plus I didn’t read the thread title properly)

So, since I most definitely DO still find the PC to be a compelling system, here are my PC picks:

Call of Duty 2, World of Warcraft (natch), F.E.A.R., The Movies.

Call of Duty 2 really does look amazing. I was running aroung earlier tonight blowing up nazi armament dumps, and the explosions when they went up were stunningly photo-realistic. Far better than anything I’ve seen when watching the game being played on the Xbox 360 in-store demo units :)

Wow, the former EIC of PC Gamer doesn’t list a single PC game.[/quote]
:roll: :wink:

GameCube: Wind Waker, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
PS2: Guitar Hero, Ico, Winning Eleven 8
GBA: Fire Emblem, Ninja 5-0, Advance Wars
DS: Mario Kart DS, Ouendan, Animal Crossing (so far)

-Scott-

DS: Kirby: Canvas Curse, Castlevania, Mario Kart DS (this is assuming you don’t want to import Ouendan, which is the best ten games on the DS all by itself.)

Not all of these games are the newest games, but they are great games and would be great gifts. I spent way too much time making this list.

PC: Civ 4, Half Life 2, GTA: San Andreas

PS2: Katamari Damacy, Robot Alchemic Drive, ICO

Xbox: Psychonauts, Halo, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

GameCube: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness

DS: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (it’s worth the import, trust me), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Advance Wars: Dual Strike

GBA: Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega MicroGame$

I like Matt’s picks in general, though I’d probably go with Space Rangers 2 over GTA:SA in the PC category. I’ll add:

PSP: Virtua Tennis, Lumines, Hot Shots Golf

Any list of best PS2 games that doesn’t list Katamari Damacy is no list at all.

PC : World of Warcraft, Half Life 2, Civ 4
XBox : Burnout Revenge, Psychonauts, Halo 2
PS2 : We Love Katamari, Makai Kingdom, Dragon Quest VIII
Gamecube : Resident Evil 4, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Paper Mario
DS : Mario and Luigi, Mario Kart, Castlevania
PSP : Virtua Tennis, Wipeout, The Con

Xbox: Phantom Dust, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Forza Motorsport
PS2: God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, We Love Katamari
GC: Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 4
PSP: Virtua Tennis, Hot Shots Golf, Burnout Legends
PC: FEAR, Space Rangers 2, CoD2

I am sure I am forgetting something in there I have played recently or this year but that is my list.

– Xaroc

GC: Resi 4, Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario 2
PS 2: Disgaea, GTA: SA, FF X (but I have missed a lot of gems)
GBA: Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Mario & Luigi
DS: Phoenix Wright, Mario Kart, Meteos

How do you monkeys find time to keep up with four (or more) platforms? I can barely juggle a PC and DS >.<

That’s because they are wildly different in both size and weight. It’s easier to juggle objects of a similar shape and weight. Try a PS2 and an Xbox for starters, or a PSP and a DS.

I just keep stacking them higher, I dont have enough time to play one console’s games, but I do have all 3, plus a DC that gets played, a pc a DS and a psp. (and an ngage! woo!)

PC: Dawn of War, Civ4, Master of Orion II
PS2: Culdcept, Front Mission 4, Tekken 4
Xbox: Halo (that’s it)
GC: Pikmin, Pokemon Coliseum, Super Monkey Ball 2

This will be a little redundant but its me list!

GC - Fire Emblem - Paper Mario - RE4
PS2 - Dragon Quest 8! - Guitar Hero ( even though I dont have it yet its a friggin must buy) - Disgiea , La Pucell , Phantom Brave, Maki kingdom ( either of those IMHO are good buys )
DS -Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! ( must buy hands down ) - M&L: Partners in time ( amazing game ) - Animal Crossing ( because yeah its great ).
PSP - Burn out ( its a lot more fun then I thought it would be ) - Lumines ( this game should go with every PSP ) - GTA ( portable GTA what more could you want? The sound tracks are great and its a lot like playing it on the PS2 ).
Xbox - Forza ( best simulation racer to date IMHO) and a must own.

PC - Space Rangers 2 ( For me it could be the PC game of the year ) - World of Warcraft ( Shouldnt everyone own this? ) - NWN Diamond Pack ( Why a 3 year old game? Because its on DVD and its cheap and this is the game that keeps on giving. If you dont have it you should because it is really a great game ).

Xbox: Psychonauts, Mercenaries, … that’s about it for the Xbox for me this year.
PC: F.E.A.R., Dungeon Siege 2, World of Warcraft

Those are my only two systems thus far :-) (Well, I have a 'Cube but it’s totally neglected now, not even hooked up…) Gonna get a DS with Ouendan, Castlevania, and Kirby for Xmas, I hope!!!

Cheers!
Rob