New UnrealEngine features from GDC

The video is online so I’m sharing:

http://g4tv.com/trailers/hdvideos/37413/Unreal-Engine-3-New-Features-GDC-2009-Trailer.html

As a level designer, I’m most excited about LightMass. Instead of placing thousands of lights per level, we’ll be able to get away with very few. Emissive textures automatically cast light and sunlight bounces around the level realistically.

If I’m reading it right you have truly emissive textures that get baked into the map as static lighting, right? This isn’t dynamic? (Which would be impressive but also a framerate killer.)

Personally I like the MCP. That’s an awesome idea for designers to recognize and deal with “hot spots” on maps.

If I’m reading it right you have truly emissive textures that get baked into the map as static lighting, right? This isn’t dynamic?

Hmm, I’m not entirely sure to be honest. The engine team is working on this stuff and it hasn’t actually rolled out to level designers just yet.

From the video’s rendering section, it looks like you would place light sources for a pre-rendering pass that generates the emissive textures… maybe?

My understanding is this – The materials you define in the engine can be made to have an emissive component. So, let’s say you make a material for a light and specify that the glass parts are emissive. LightMass picks up on that automatically and any surface using that texture will cast light. I assume the brightness of the emissive component determines the light brightness in the world.

Yeah this will be Static. It’s essentially just BEAST but already built in to Unreal.

To clarify, it’s LIKE Beast but it’s entirely home grown.

Old thread but did we talk about this already? Unreal Engine has… what, built in humans now?