Newest Serenity trailer

Can be seen here:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/serenity/trailer_2/

September 30th seems so far away…

Thanks for the heads up. Each trailer is just as titillating as the last.

This is the only movie I am looking forward to. It’s such a pity that it probably won’t jumpstart another series.

I just hope it’s successful enough to greenlight more films.

I’ve only watched this trailer a dozen times now. LOVE IT. Why can’t today be 9/30?!

If you haven’t seen it yet, check out http://www.session416.com/

It’s interesting. They made the film for $60M.

According to the EW article, the Biggest Impediment is a Superheroine named Wonder Woman.

It cost 60 million to make that?

Jesus how much did an episode cost.

$60M was the bargain price that got him the deal!

The pilot was pretty damn expensive- somewhere between $10-20 million IIRC. Of course that included a lot of one time only expenses like the sets and stuff. After that I think the per episode budget was in the realm of $2 million an episode.

Ok but still… 60 million that seems like an absurd ammount of money for a TV show movie. I like firefly as much as the next nerd but 60M is gonna be a bitch to make back.

Anybody have a link where its said the movie cost that much? I find that pretty unbelieveale too that they would put up 60 million for a TV show of a series that lasted one year. I doubt there has been a TV movie that has come even close to that amount(maybe a big mini-series but not a single movie).

Okay, I was off by $15M.

Tonight, these true believers have gathered in this multiplex for a sneak peek at the miracle they have helped make possible: the reincarnation of Firefly as Serenity, a $45 million film written and directed by Whedon and starring the show’s original cast. So when they rip into Firefly’s guitar-and-fiddle theme song (‘‘Take my love, take my land…’’), they do so with glee. And when the Master himself materializes from behind the curtain, they greet him like a golden god. Whedon soaks it in with a shy smile. Then, a trademark zinger: ‘‘A little enthusiasm might have been nice.’’

And by the way, the internet has an index that anyone can use.

OK so figure 55 million with adverts. Still as much as I like the show I dont see it making that much. I might be surprised though.

I guess i live under a rock or something. I had no idea what firefly was. Recently i said something to that effect and a friend of my totaly skitzed out on me. He went home at that very moment and came back with the box set and made me start watching it on th spot. I must say this show is good, and by good i mean holy freaking cow good. After watching the whole set, i cant wait to see this movie. I dont really get it, why the hell was a show this good ever canceled? Also who the hell would have thought that the chick from cleopatra could actualy act? Will wonders never cease.

Don’t forget about DVD sales which I’m sure they expect to be pretty strong as most properties with cult followings are. I’m pretty sure that the budget Universal approved for Serenity was based on what they felt they could at break even on given all of the ancillaries.

Whedon has pretty good cult cred.
if it gives Universal a new Sci-Fi film franchise that drives even more sales of the TV show DVDs… Cha-ching!

Fox has killed about 90% of the good things it has touched. But oddly enough it continues to pump out these quircky shows.

The standard rule of thumb is that you double the budget to factor in marketing costs. Essentially, Serenity will have to crack the $100 million mark to be considered a full success (i.e., snag Whedon his TV/more films deal).

Outside of all that, it looks fucking awesome.

SPECULATION THAT COULD MAYBE BE A SPOILER BELOW
[size=1]River’s a Slayer, IMO.[/size]

Marketing is actually just a small part of that. Even huge movies may only have a marketing cost in the neighborhood of $25-35 million so the $60 million figure is probably pretty accurate in terms of budget and marketing.

Now, movie studios typically only get approx 60% of the total gross returned to them so, yeah, if Serenity wants to be profitable on theater grosses alone then it would need to bring in $100 million. However with ancillaries (and DVD specifically) as huge as they are, the film will likely be ultimately profitable for Universal if it grosses just $50-60 million theatrically. Although that probably wouldn’t be enough to greenlight a sequel since production costs almost always go up for followups.

And none of this factors in overseas revenues. I have no idea what kind of foreign following Firefly has but I think Sci-Fi tends to perform well overseas.

Whedon should be fine no matter how Serenity does though- he’s already got Wonder Woman on tap. Now if that isn’t successful then his “auteur” status will be in jeapordy.

Well, all I know is that even if I’d never heard of Firefly, the new trailer would get me to see the movie. Hopefully the moviegoing public agrees.