94% Freedom Force
92% Grand Theft Auto III
92% MS Flight Simulator 2002
91% Return to Castle Wolfenstein
91% Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
91% Dungeon Siege
91% Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
91% Battlefield 1942

You know, I was going to critique some of the games on this list. But looking at it, I don’t think I have to. Instead, I shall borrow a line from Tycho and Gabe:

Daikatana

GIGGLE

PS: How on earth did Dungeon Siege (aka Progress Quest with graphics) get on that list? :)

More to the point, isn’t 2002, like, not over yet? Wasn’t it even more “not over” when that issue went to print?

Return to Castle Wolfenstein came out in 2001.

Game (PC Gamer Score) [Gamerankings score]
NeverWinter NIghts (95%) [91%]
WarCraft III (94%) [93%]
Freedom Force (94%) [87%]
GTA III (92%) [93%]
MS Flight Sim 02 (92%) [89%]
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (91%) [87%]
Medal of Honor (91%) [90%]
Dungeon Siege (91%) [86%]
Jedi Knight II (91%) [87%]
Battlefield 1942 (91%) [89%]

Not sure I see the problem here, except that PC Gamer’s scores seem to be right in line with the rest of the industry.

I wasn’t complaining about the scores or their picks, other than to point out that choosing the best games of 2002 in October is a bit unfair to the games that come out in November and December.

Well, a Best Games of 2002 is more useful to Christmas shoppers in December than it is in February. That’s probably where this came from. I haven’t seen the issue, is it presented as a “Holiday Buyer’s Guide”? Also, if PCG is reckoning the year as October 2001-October 2002 that would explain RTCW’s presence.

On the whole, people tend to get way too bent out of shape over Top 10 lists I think.

I think this is the guy making up the list himself from looking at past issues. RTCW was probably reviwed in a early 2002 issue(becasue of the lag in print) hence he puts it in the list even though it was released in late 2001.

Not to argue that Dungeon Siege was a great game, but it wasn’t that much less fun than NWN. If you don’t count addons, they were pretty similiar with more dialogue in NWN.

I know, not counting add-ons in NWN does it a major disservice if you ask a lot of people, but I haven’t played many and don’t even have NWN installed atm. I actually played DS all the way through (though I admit, the last couple hours of the game was just to see the end, it was not really fun)

“I actually played DS all the way through (though I admit, the last couple hours of the game was just to see the end, it was not really fun)”

Same here. Very odd game in that regard. After I got through the ice caverns it got less and less interesting. I finished it because I read about it in PC Gamer and they raved about the finish. I wanted to see it. I found it disappointing.

Same here, regarding DS. The ending was singularly the most disappointing ending to a game in recent memory. I’m not sure what the designers’ idea was on this one; it’s like they tossed the ending together under threat of death.

I fiddled with the multiplayer, but it didn’t have enough to keep me interested. Did anyone here mess around with the editor? I was hoping that would save the game from obscurity, but I’ve seen very little in the way of maps and mods.

I think if Dungeon Siege was reviewed like so many other games, it could justify that high of a rating. What do I mean? Seems to me that reviewers spend 10 - 20 hours with a game before deciding how great/bad it is.

Dungeon Siege starts out as a very fun game that eventually degenerates into a potion drinking simulator. If you rate the game while still in the peak of the fun period, it’s going to be a low 90’s game. Great graphics, fun gameplay, and even decent sound. Once you get to the potion simuation portion where all you do is click the red button and the blue button now and then, well, then it degrades into a low 80’s game. (this is also the point where you realize that you need to specialize your starting character 100% in one field if you want him useful in the end game)

I so rarely get the opportunity to have an Annie Hall/Marshall McLuhan experience… but here goes:

I’m not going to convince anyone here that our list is “right” if they don’t already agree, and no one is going to convince me it’s “wrong,” so I’ll stay out of this conversation and let you guys discuss it without adding my two cents. Know this, though: I wrote that review in PC Gamer, and I played through the entire game before I typed up a single word. I enjoyed the hell out of it, hence the score it received.

-Vede

“Did anyone here mess around with the editor? I was hoping that would save the game from obscurity, but I’ve seen very little in the way of maps and mods.”

Unfortunately it’s not as simple to use as billed – another thing all the previews got wrong. I think there’s one new player-made campaign out that has gotten good feedback, but otherwise everything I’ve seen are just mods that add new weapons and stuff like that. There isn’t much in the way of new content. You really have to be a programmer to make new content using the editor.

Cool game in a lot of ways and I’m sure it sold really well.

I so rarely get the opportunity to have an Annie Hall/Marshall McLuhan experience… but here goes:

I’m not going to convince anyone here that our list is “right” if they don’t already agree, and no one is going to convince me it’s “wrong,” so I’ll stay out of this conversation and let you guys discuss it without adding my two cents. Know this, though: I wrote that review in PC Gamer, and I played through the entire game before I typed up a single word. I enjoyed the hell out of it, hence the score it received.

-Vede[/quote]

Glad to hear someone played through the whole game before writing their reviews. I wasn’t just throwing some off the cuff comment as an insult to reviewers. It’s been said many times on this message board alone that people can’t play every game to completion before writing their reviews. Not that I can blame someone either. If someone had to complete, say, Neverwinter Nights single player and several multiplayer games before writing a complete review, it would have been months before reviews showed up. Not to mention that reviewers are required to review several games in a set amount of time…

Anyway, opinions differ, we all know that. Just because I disagree with you that Dungeon Siege is a 90+% rated game doesn’t make either of us wrong. Just that I didn’t find the last 30% of the game all that enjoyable. It eventually became work, like getting to the summit after climbing to the last checkpoint. But I can see how someone other than me could like the end game. It’s a fun show, just not interactive enough for my tastes.

How could the previews have gotten that “right”? It didn’t even ship until two months after the game itself was finished.

Same here, regarding DS. The ending was singularly the most disappointing ending to a game in recent memory. I’m not sure what the designers’ idea was on this one; it’s like they tossed the ending together under threat of death

Not only did I find the ending disappointing, I actually kept playing (a bit) afterwards to see if things had changed in Our Fair Kingdom because I killed the Foozle.

I retraced my steps. The King was still standing in the dungeon I had rescued him from. I was hoping for a “Congratulations! You’ve freed the Kingdom!” Instead I got the same dialogue telling me to go stop the Madmen before it was too late. They couldn’t even put in another pointer to change the speech once the game was finished. Grrr.

Funny thing was, the way my party was arranged when I triggered the King’s speech had him explaining our Great Peril from Ultimate Evil to my donkey. The donkey looked nonplussed over the whole thing.

I’m confused, I thought this forum was above nitpicking opinions expressed in gaming publications? Seems this place truly is no different from any other fanboy drivel posted at other sites. It’s bad enough when people harp on games that deserve higher scores in these publications, but to get so uppity about someone enjoying a game that may have not have been equally as enjoyable to you? That’s just shallow.

I myself disagree with a great amount of these scores. I also would consider Morrowind to be one of the most boring games I have ever touched despite its novel pretenses, but I’m not one to point fingers at someone that did find a wealth of value in said game. I’m not an immature brat that cannot comprehend a difference in opinion! Instead I turn to the dozens of other titles that have kept me entertained and leave them be.

Shameful…

I guess you will have to color me confused, too. I thought this was a place where people brought up subjects they were interested (positively or negatively) in and waited to see if others wanted to talk about said subjects. I have heard that message boards are, on occasion, referred to as discussion forums. I could have sworn that this thread contained something along the lines of a discussion.

…Shoppers that don’t realize that Asheron’s Call 2 (for instance) came out too late to make the cut, even though it’s sitting on the shelf next to Dungeon Siege and it’s still 2002. And thus they assume (with good reason) that it wasn’t good enough to make the list, even though it may be.

If it’s a holiday buyer’s guide, why not call it that?

The “offending” list is in the Holiday issue, not December or January. The list is titled “the top 10 games of theyear” and while I agree that it’s a little bit confusing, it very clearly says right next to that:

“Looking for a great game? Here are the 10 best-scoring titles we’ve reviewed since our last gift guide - each a perfect gift.”

It seems pretty clear to me that this isn’t like their 2002 awards or anything, but merely the best games of the last 12 months (since the last gift guide in the last Holiday issue).