Newsweek: Doctors change the way they think about death

Do modern Class C CPR/First Aid courses teach you how to how a defibrillator? If they don’t, an NLS course should. I don’t know if all the pools in my area have one, but I know there is at least one in Angus Glen in Markham.

CounterMeasure - can you ask your wife for the full, updated steps for CPR? The last major change I can find was the 2005 change that basically removed the pulse check for “lay people.” How the hell do you know to start CPR without a pulse check?

The CPR class I just took for work did. Though it’s not really “teach you how to learn” as it’s all pretty automated. Basically the machine talks to you and walks you through what you need to do. They’re pretty cool (and expensive).

Do ninja pirates even need to be alive to be flipping out and stealing booty?

Yes, they do teach you how to use an AED. SHe was watching the new video, and I happen to come into the room around that part. They show one of the newer models where the AED talks to you about things like if you should restart chest compressions or not after it zaps them.

I’ll ask her about the step changes.

Uh, no it doesn’t.

CPR is useless 95% of the time. The only real chance of survival you have is fast access to an AED and someone who is trained in how to use it. In Austin, the first responders are as likely to be the fire department as it is EMS, and the fire department guys here have AED training.

In Texas, you need to get certified to use an AED if you want the Good Samaritan laws to protect you from liability.

I’m not a medical doctor, but I would think that if someone collapses, the best thing you can do is grab big bags of ice from the corner store and cover him in it to slow down metabolism. Isn’t this how little kids who fall into icy lake water survive for many minutes without oxygen?

Do little kids who fall into icy lake water survive for many minutes without oxygen? In stage three hypothermia, brain death takes a while to occur, but almost all other major organs have failed by then. If there are kids who fall into frozen lakes, it would be a temperature vs. time situation. Not every kid is going to come out of that alive.