Nex Machina - Housemarque's latest arcade shooter (PC & PS4)

Yeah I never did memorize all the secrets. Just played as I went.

This is gonna make for some bittersweet viewing, I guess.

Yeah, definitely will, but I want to see that. I love what Housemarque has done through the years. They have always seemed like a brilliant bunch of individuals that make some stellar games.

Yeah, but that’s the rookie leaderboards.

-Tom

I also want to get back to this game. I loved Resogun and from what I have played this seemed equally good. Nudging this up my backlog.

Indeed it must be returned to, I have @Chappers to get ahead of at the least!

I’ve played it 5 times, should be an easy target.

I now own everything they’ve done except Dead Nation. I haven’t played a bad Housemarque game yet. They hooked me with their games when I saw The Reap for the first time eons ago.

I keep hoping they’ll release The Reap for everyone to see its majesty…
http://shmups.com/reviews/thereap/index.html

I doubt they’ll ever do it. They do acknowledge its existence on their company website at least. I have the original PC game. It’s brilliant. I’d take a GoG release. Anything. There just isn’t much like it. You’re in an alien ship attacking the Earth, hence all the people flying out of everything you destroy. You can even abduct cows! It’s just plain awesome. The only reason I’d want a modern update is so we could have the leaderboards.

Their snowboarding games were excellent too. Really pretty and understated, but graphically brilliant as all their games tend to be with really great physics and control.

My main issue with Housemarque’s games is always just how long it takes to get through one play session to set a high score. It’s just really long after only a couple of days of learning. Then you know that if you want to search for a high score, you need to really sit down for a while.

Pinball games have this problem too.

And no, I don’t know of a solution to this problem. I still enjoy their games a lot though, I just wish I didn’t have to play for so long each game in Resogun, Super Stardust, Nex Machina. Geometry Wars made their game just a bit harder than the Housemarque games, which meant that on the really high scores, you do still have to have long playsessions, but for most people, the play sessions are really short.

Right, but then people complain that it’s too hard.

Basically, you’ve just explained why Housemarque no longer makes this kind of game.

OH wow, thanks for bumping this thread. I forgot I had this game because it barely ran at all on my old rig. Time to try it on the new one!

Yeah, but that’s a leaderboard in the bottom 40% of difficulty levels.

-Tom

Well, I didn’t beat @rowe33’s score yet, but at least I beat my own.

Most impressive, I played a bit last night but am super rusty. I couldn’t even get halfway near my previous score from last year.

I’m behind Tom Chick? Well I have my task for the week!

I think I unlocked Master on the PC but haven’t on the PS4 yet. Will work on this!

Hey, why is my score highlighted in that list? Why have I been been singled out???

But to echo what someone else already said in the thread, I don’t really have any interest in setting a high score in Nex Machina, because it’s largely a matter of endurance. I prefer my twin-stick shootering in smaller doses.

-Tom