Next-gen is here - PC specs increasing

As shown on the front page, 6GB RAM and 64-bit Windows seems to be the new normal going forward.

Call of Duty: Ghosts has the following minimum specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHZ / AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHZ or better
RAM: 6 GB RAM
HDD: 50 GB HD space
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti / ATI Radeon HD 5870 or better
Sound: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
DirectX: 11
Internet: Broadband connection and service required for Multiplayer Connectivity. Internet connection required for activation

50 GB?! Cheeeeerist…

ATI 5870? Wow. I only have a 5850. (For two more days, new video card on the way! Yay!)

Yeah, no kidding. Might be time for a new hard drive too. I’ve recently uninstalled all the Steam games I won’t be getting to within the next year, and I’m still running short on my 1 TB drive these days.

I have been very happy that the computer I bought several years ago and upgraded the video card for has lasted this long. It looks like game technology is about to leave me behind again. So be it. It will give me something to play when I buy that new PC in 2017.

Yeah, it’s the hard drive usage that’s most surprising to me. Taking up space isn’t a big deal, but since 99% of my games are digital, dealing with long downloading times can be a pain.

Yeah, that’s a little crazy, but then I guess everybody has a machine like that laying in a closet, right? More seriously, I get the desire to push the envelope, and there’s some cache in being a benchmark game. However, to echo Brian, 50 GB for a single game on a Q3 engine?!? Recommending a 780 for something that also runs on an XBox 360?!?!? gtfo

There’s some serious shenanigans going on with those specs.

Totes, I’m looking at a 2-4TB drive for my next rig solely for games.

If this trend continues, my current 2 x 256gb ssd storage heaven might become untenable :(

It’s about time games moved to 64 bit. I remember buying one of the first 64 bit Athlons eagerly anticipating 64 bit gaming.That was several computers ago and so far there hasn’t been much except Crysis and the Battlefield 4 beta.

Nothing too surprising except for the huge size. I guess the new thing will be buying multiple SSDs. My case doesn’t really support that at the moment, only having holders for one. My current ssd is 250gb with about 2/3 of that being a fast games partition and the rest being OS. Then i have a slower HDD (black) for games i don’t care about as much.

But yes, the 64bit thing is more than welcome and better late than never.

Developers aren’t stuck on DVD’s anymore like they were with the 360. Both new systems use Blu ray so they can go gonzo with data sizes. It does make me wonder how much it impacts digital though. 5-10 GB for games isn’t too big a deal for people even on mediocre broadband but up to 50? That could make allot of people to stick with discs for awhile.

Those are minimum requirements. Next-gen consoles essentially have AMD 7850 GPUs inside. A 5870 will not provide a console-quality experience at 1080p. Of course the 5870 is a nearly 5 year old GPU, so that’s not so terrible.

64bit req is interesting. All the next-gen consoles have 8GB of shared RAM, so they go over the 4GB 32bit limit.

Does that mean we have consoles to thank for finally making 64-bit standard?

Isn’t it rather that consoles are a large reason why we have been held back for so long (64-bit wise and in other tech standards)?

Wow, I have serious mixed feelings about this…

On the one hand, it’s nice to see progress and games using 64 bit, etc. etc.

On the other hand, the constant need to upgrade got pretty tiresome in my youth. …And this may be a flawed reasoning, but I also associate extreme hardware requirements with the days when I had to spend tons of time optimizing my games and downloading drivers and rolling back drivers and disabling anistropic filtering or using console .ini files to enable special compatibility blah blah.

I’ve rather enjoyed the last 5 years: I’ve been able to play most every game I wanted on my mediocre gaming laptops, often with high settings and minimal fuss. It helps that I’m always 1-3 years behind the curve, but still, I just don’t know if I’m ready for the next space race with extra-gigantic game installs and uber demanding hardware. My games are pretty enough as is–I just want them made more betterer.

For releases like this, I would like to be able to opt-out of voice acting, which is what most of those 50Gb is going to be. Full voice over is such a wasteful, inflexible process; one of the worst and most dangerous trends in game development.

It’s the CGI video of the modern era.

It’s how they plan to keep consoles relevant: they make PC ports available only to 5% of total customers. It’s clearly gonna be hardcore or nothing, premium market.

I told you

lol @ recommended specs: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780

Gimme $650 for JUST the videocard.

Looks like console-quality experience is a GTX 780. Not an AMD 7850. AMD doesn’t even currently MAKE a card as fast as a GTX 780.