Next on the retail chopping block: Toys R Us

Imagine watching your life’s work fail right before you die. It’s really tragic.

It could happen to Bill Gates too.

Time to go spend our accumulated gift cards today after work on some kid bikes. Hopefully it’s not too chaotic on day one of the sales.

Are they accepting them? Some companies when liquidating don’t take gift cards since the whole point is to earn some last minute income.

Yep, good for the next 30 days.

When I was a kid, we decided what toys we wanted by looking at the Sears Christmas Wish Book, and then they came in the mail.

We’ve come full circle.

I fondly remember marking down all the Star Wars toys in the big catalogs. Great stuff.

It’s sad that he died but hopefully he knew Toy R Us left a lasting impression to the kids that were so excited to go there.

Maybe he decided to just take it all with him, daringly flaunting conventional wisdom.

Next on the retail chopping block: Bed Bath & Beyond (obligatory Fuck yea!)

Everything in that store seems 30 to 40% too high in price, and all they give you is a 20% off coupon. It’s not as if their quality is higher to make up for it.

Yikes. So now they are Bed, Bath and JunkBond.

I agree with @Nesrie, every time I’ve been in there (which admittedly isn’t often), it seemed like a bunch of average quality stuff at above average prices. Target, WalMart, Home Goods, Michaels, etc. always seemed like better and cheaper alternatives for home décor and utility purchases. Or, you know, Amazon. I also wonder how much places like WayFair.com are hurting them as well.

Sadly BBB are the only place in the world I know of that has the kind of foam-rubber pillows I like, which only last a couple of years before having to be replaced… But yeah, otherwise I’d see no need for their existence to continue or for their departure from this mortal coil to be mourned.

I didn’t know they existed (I saw them in strip malls, but always overlooked them and didn’t pay attention) until Alton Brown’s Good Eats. He used to go to Bed Bath and Beyond all the time, so I started going there too, when I needed specialized cooking or house stuff. Yeah, they’re expensive, but house stuff is so much easier to find than going to Walmart or Target. Flagging down an employee is much easier than in those places too. Plus they have much more variety than those other stores too. If you go shopping for a toaster, for example, you’ll find many more choices of toasters than going to Macy’s or Walmart or Target. You might end up buying the same one you would have bought at those places anyway, but I liked having all those choices when I bought things.

They’re expensive but they do carry things they don’t have elsewhere.

That said, I know someone who went to work there in loss prevention and lasted a year because the way they ran things was super wacky and he thought the handwriting was on the wall already back then. That was like ten years ago now.

This was the bigger retail news yesterday IMO…

They have something like 250 stores. They are all anchor locations for the most part. This hits home as it started here where I live.

That said, it’s probably good news for my company as they are one of our main competitors.

Amazon is eating all these places alive. I can buy any toaster in the world on Amazon after reading hundreds of reviews to pick just the right one, at a very competitive price, and get it delivered to my door for free (OK, already paid), and I have the Amazon creditcard so I get 5% off.

Buy them direct from the manufacturer? Seems very unlikely they would have an exclusive distribution deal.

Most manufacturers don’t have the setup for direct to consumer warehousing and sales. That’s why Target even uses Amazon’s warehouse for internet sales.

If it’s not a BBB-branded product, I’d be very surprised if they only sold through them, but maybe I’m misjudging how large their market share is. Over here, most pillow brands are sold through several different department stores, Argos, Amazon, etc. At a minimum, check the website for who the official distributors are.