Nextflix or Blockbuster Online?

I love Netflix’s Watch Now service. I’ve been working my way through Coupling, Xena and the US version of The Office. I usually need 30-45 minutes to cool down after my run and it seems to work out well. It helps that I have a nice widescreen monitor and a comfortable chair though.

After 3 or 4 years of service, my Netflix account just got less expensive. I even got a $1 chargeback on my credit card to make up for the first month’s difference.

I also got 18 hours worth of FREE movies I can watch from the Netflix site. The on-line moving watching service is awesome. I thought it would be all old shit, but there is actually stuff in there I want to see.

I think in general Netflix is where it’s at for movie lovers, what with the selection and all, but man is Blockbuster convenient when you have one close. Ours is literally about a 20 second walk from out front door. It’s like having a video shed.

Yeah, the free rental with every return is nice, and there’s a Blockbuster pretty close to me. If not for that, I’d go with Netflix.

Blockbuster accounta gain for the summer after relying on Redbox for most of the past year. Total access is pretty great. If you don’t want to deal with it and just mail your movies, the plan is $1.00 cheaper. But if you want to take advantage of it, it isn’t difficult to get 4 movies a week on the 2 movie plan. Thumbs Up to Total Access. </shill>

Meh. I get four movies a week quite easily with Netflix on a 2 movie plan, plus the instant streaming of Watch Now. Which has an imperfect selection, certainly, but is far more user-friendly than any Blockbuster store I’ve ever been in and probably offers a better selection to boot.

(Since I fucking despise Blockbuster’s in-store selection. I’m sure the online service has much more, but compared to Netflix? Heh.)

But then, I have no need for spur of the moment movie-watching.

I’ve never been able to get Watch now to work on my computer. I suspect it is incompatible with Vista.

Negative. It works fine on my laptop which has Vista.

32 or 64 bit?

just joined netflix this month. watch now is great. i saw jsa uninterrupted and the perfect score with two short breaks as my new dsl line started acting up. just got done with downfall last night. all this on the cheapest 2 disc per month plan. the other netflix thread had a bunch of links to people’s queues. see what’s on my seeeeeeecret queue:
http://www.netflix.com/BeMyFriend/P9N2k7VFeXxNxPP7HASi

32 bit. I did change some security settings in IE 7 though

I used Netfilx years ago for a few months, and then I tried Blockbuster Online earlier this year. Again, only for a few months.

I’m starting to think I’m just not in the target audience for these services. When I get DVDs, I usually watch them right away, or they sit on my DVD player for 3+ weeks. Half the time I just sent them back because I didn’t want to watch them anymore (and somewhat felt guilty for holding onto them for so long). On average, I barely watch enough movies a month to justify the cost.

As for the differences, I honestly didn’t notice any. Although, I did notice that the trial period with blockbuster had better turn around time than after I started paying for it. I had 2 day turn around during the trial, and then it became 3 day turn around after I started the service for real. Maybe it was coincidence due to throttling (like netflix is accused of as well), or maybe it was just my perception.

Not only is Blockbuster somewhat far from me (it’s a 5 minute jaunt down the freeway, tallying up to about 10-15min one-way trip) but they never have stock of the movies that I want to watch (either all rented out or they don’t carry it). So fuck Blockbuster. ;) Netflix’s online service has a huge selection that Blockbuster B&M or online just can’t match.