Nexus Prime?

So Samsung has a presentation next week, presumably to announce the Nexus Prime. They have a sort of picture, and if that’s real, it’s… weird.

Surely the phone wouldn’t be THAT curvy, right?

I’ll hold judgement on it till we see something more. I’ll either get this or the iphone, though leaning towards this now since AT&T has suspended my upgrade or something, even though I’m out of contract with them.

Well, I’ll hold judgment, too. I’m just skeptical that a phone as curvy as that one appears to be could really be usable. I mean, I’m sure for phone purposes, it’d be great (slabs don’t actually make great phones), but for using the touch screen - or for putting it in your pocket – it’d be awful. I suspect they’re just exaggerating it in the picture.

I’m excited that they are going fully touch with this. I don’t know if the buttons will always be at the bottom of the screen (that seems like a weak compromise) but it would be awesome if they weren’t.

BGR has the full spec on the Nexus Prime. Seems to have been confirmed elsewhere too, but I’ll still take it with a grain of salt. It’s going to be Verizon exclusive to begin at least, so I guess it’s Iphone for me as Verizon doesn’t operate up here.

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
9mm thin
4.65-inch 1280 x 720-pixel Super AMOLED HD with curved glass
TI OMAP 4460 dual-core Cortex A9 processor clocked at 1.2GHz
1GB of RAM
32GB of built-in storage
5-megapixel camera on the back, 1.3-megapixel in the front
1080p HD video capture support
LTE/HSPA depending on carrier
Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
NFC
1,750 mAh battery

Those are pretty sweet specs, I definitely wouldn’t mind the larger screen. Until it’s out and battery life has been vetted however, I’ll reign in my consumer lust.

Why wold curvy be bad for pockets? It’s not like your leg or any other sections of your body is a flat plane. In theory, a gently curved phone could lay more snugly against your body, and be more comfortable or have a lower profile in pockets, etc. In practice, it’d be hard to find a curve that fit a broad enough range of body types, but it isn’t completely crazy.

Using a curved touchscreen…would be weird.

Depends how curvy it is, I reckon. The picture there makes it look super-curvy, such that the ends would be poking into your leg while the rest didn’t touch.

I have a hard time believing it could have decent battery life with LTE, given what we know of current SOCs, but I guess we’ll see. Personally, I’m really curious about the dimensions of the phone. What with them stripping out the buttonry, it’s conceivable that this could be a 4.6" screen in a case no larger than existing phones, but I’m not sure how thin it’s technically feasible to get the bezel.

They already released a curved phone like that in the past, didn’t they?

I’m pretty sure someone did, because I remember thinking it was interesting when I first saw it.

The Nexus S is lightly curved, but not (apparently) to that degree.

I hate my Nexus S.

The Prime might very well be a Verizon exclusive but keep in mind the source: BGR. The same site that claimed Sprint would have a WiMax iPhone 5 this month as an exclusive. Solid information there.

Fool me once…

I think I could go for a phone with those specs though. I kind of like the curved aspect.

I mean, it’s not like it’s some kind of crazy extreme curve that would interfere at all with your ability to use it.

I hope the screen is a Gorilla Glass equivalent; the curved Nexus S is the only phone I’ve gotten a screen scratch on in recent memory, despite careful handling. Plastic doesn’t cut it.

Oh man, iPhone or Nexus Prime. Gonna be tough to decide, especially if the Prime has a great camera.

True, that’s why I said take it with a grain of salt. But the specs listed aren’t even so wild that it’s unrealistic. It looks like it’s on par with the Samsung Galaxy S II except it’ll be a pure Android phone. There are a lot of conflicting rumours regarding the specs of the Prime now. We’ll know more Tuesday when the Google/Samsung event is held. Until then, here is a suppose photo of the phone making the rounds now.

It’s the katana of phones. It will CUT your weak iOS device!

No dedicated search button on a Nexus phone? WTF?

Not a big deal. It’s by far the least-used button on my HTC Incredible S.