NFL 2019

I really think the “49ers” collapse thing was overdone.

Did they play their best ball in the fourth quarter? No. But acting like 10 points with more than half the quarter left is some ridiculously insurmountable lead is kind of silly.

The Falcons/Patriots Superbowl was a collapse.

I can see both sides on that. When Mahomes threw the second pick he had, the Niners had a 93.8% chance to win.

That’s a tough game to lose.

What was tough was when the Chiefs were 3rd and 15 and Mahomes completed a 44 yard pass.

I feel like a lot of the people I was watching with had not seen the Chiefs two awesome come from behind victories this year. They were saying the same things, “well, they’ve lost it now, the 49ers are in a position to win here and not much can change that,” yada, yada.

When Mahomes is on, he’s on FIRE. The entire offense goes into this insane mode where everything seems to be done right. Effortless first downs. Effortless accurate tosses, on the run, backed up 15 yards from the line of scrimmage. Can’t throw it? Just run it for 20 yards, no big deal. Just insane. And they did it again, and it was IN THE SUPERBOWL. The team has offense in spades.

Quite honestly I don’t even understand the magic. Is it him? Is it great offensive coaching? Is it just the team that is assembled clicking together?

I was upset when they got rid of great defensive players like Dee Ford and started over with a new Defense this year, almost, but it looks like they knew what they were doing. Defense has been great for the Chiefs this year.

Mahomes is a huge part of it. They were definitely not having this kind of run under Alex Smith. Andy Reid has been getting them to the playoffs consistently even under Alex Smith, but they could never seal the deal in the playoffs.

That’s putting way too much stock in that number. I suppose that averaged out over all NFL games a 10-point lead with the ball and that much time on the clock the team ahead wins 94% of the time.

But one specific game, between what are, by definition, two exceptional teams? The Niners had done a great job up to that point of keeping the genie in the bottle, but there was always way more than a 6% chance that the genie would escape.

Given the Niners averaging over 6 yards per carry to that point and actively burning clock, I’m not sure I’d say “way more” is how I’d characterize it at all.

But then the Chiefs defense finally showed up and forced the Niners into their first two punts of the game – with less than 10 minutes remaining. And Mahomes, after missing terribly on an easy 20 yard pass on 2nd and 15 to a wide open Tyreek Hill…they finally did a very Chiefs thing and hit that long pass to Hill on the next play.

10th most-watched Super Bowl ever, 102 million viewers at peak.

Why are neither SF or New York reported there? Just don’t have data yet?

Those are the top ten markets. NYC and SF maybe didn’t crack it. I’ll see if Mike knows those numbers yet.

It just strikes me as odd that the home market for the 49ers wouldn’t be in the top 10.

EDIT: N/M, misunderstood what they were referring to.

Yeah, these are the metered ratings for each DMA.

Large chunk of the Bay Area are (or recently were) Raiders fans and they generally don’t like the Niners.

I wonder how much that brief fundraising for the vet science ad generated. It wasn’t very catchy, so I’m wondering if it will eclipse the $6.5 million it cost to run the ad.

This implies the SF market was pretty good, just not quite good enough to crack the top ten.

The best commercials were the Subaru ads that ran during the Puppy Bowl. A couple were genuinely funny, and the others weren’t bad.