NFL 2020

One more and we can happily max out at an even number!

If you end up odd numbered and want to bump me it won’t hurt my feelings (that said, happy to play)

Nah, everyone is on the bus. :)

We have 10 thanks everybody!

Well, Arizona just blew up the WR market.

Until today, I didn’t realize the NFL was actually allowing fans at their games. Sounds safe and responsible.

A lot aren’t.

6k fans in a 60-80k stadium should be okay if done right. Still, I am not sure why you bother with doing it.

Ahh, was basing it off rules I saw for Arrowhead Stadium, which is apparently allowing about 16,000 fans inside. Seems insane. Glad to know other teams are being smarter about it.

The Fins are accommodating 13,000 in a thought-out fashion. The devil’s in the details:

From the CFB games I’ve seen this year with limited fans, the fans are idiots - it will likely be (a lot?) worse in NFL stadiums which sell alcohol. Of course, both games I saw were in covidiot territory, but by the time I turned them on in the 4th quarter, I didn’t see a single fan wearing their mask properly - most didn’t seem to have one on at all and the social distancing was minimal. Even the coaches and refs couldn’t seem to get their masks right - the exception being the Navy-BYU game yesterday, where both sidelines looked very disciplined about masks and there were no fans.

One funky thing I did see yesterday was the water bottle staffer sharing water bottles between players. She was masked, players weren’t and it had me wondering about how that process could be better.

I do think that even with 10% capacity in NFL stadiums, security will need to be pretty active, as everyone will want 50yd line seats and glom together.

Our state guidelines for sports venues allow 50% occupancy or 1,000 fans, whichever is lower. My alma mater is only allowing families of players and staff to attend home games.

With all the money the NFL makes it seems silly to allow 13,000 fans in. This is a weird year. Take the reduced revenue and do what’s safest. Hope 2021 can be back to normal.

I support it fully within the law. Lots of people are hurting: vendors, business owners, and employees, etc, who depend on income surrounding the games. Why should they be hurt unnecessarily with other options available? And why shouldn’t a family be allowed a safe outing if they want one; a rarity in this time? As the article above says, the Fins are losing money on the deal so this isn’t about the cash for Ross.

In other news, Von Miller may be done for the season:

If it’s safe, great. But zero is safer than 13,000. I don’t see how this really helps much of anything – over eight home games that’s 104,000 fans, or a bit more than 1/8 of the season. Businesses that depend on fan attendance are not going to survive those numbers.

As to family outings, that’s not a new thing invented by the NFL. There are other family outings available.

Hey, it’s happening and probably will be fine. I just think it’s unnecessary.

This is objectively true but we’ll amicably agree to disagree on the overall societal logic of this point. I don’t live in Ohio and I won’t dictate to Cleveland, you don’t live in Miami. Different places, different laws, different policies. The number was generated after consultation with the state and Miami-Dade County.

And there are families who have season tickets who get to make the choice about whether to attend or not; many who really look forward to that sort of thing and may not want to do the “other family outings” on your list.

We’ll agree to disagree here.

I agree to this. :)

This, however, doesn’t inspire confidence. I’d prefer them to consult with epidemiologists.

That’s who was consulted, in conjunction with the state and the county before it was approved by the state and the county.

2020 just keeps on giving.