NFL 2023

Jerry may be calling Sean Payton as this very moment.

That formation was crazy looking. They didn’t have any lineman in there I believe.

They did, but they were lined up on the outside. Crazy.

Then he passed it to a receiver in the middle of the field, like 10 yards downfield, who got immediately creamed, right?

Meanwhile, three or four Cowboys were standing at the snap on the far right, just spectating.

Most of them would be ineligible, so they couldn’t move down field until the pass is made. I guess their “job” was to form a convoy for whoever was supposed to get the lateral.

I would love to hear what Ryans said in the timeout. “If they’re stupid enough to try this - Azeez, just blow Elliot up, run over him and and make the whole thing look as silly as it is.”

Since there were no pass protectors, Prescott had to throw it over the guy coming in on him, so the receiver had to jump to catch it, which immediately killed what little chance there was of him doing anything.

I’m all for trying something crazy in that situation; it’s not like a conventional play would have any chance. But maybe use some common sense. (Not McCarthy’s strong suit)

That whole last few minutes in the Dallas vs. SF game was just a string of “what are you doing Cowboys?” moments. The final play was icing on the WTF cake.

Meanwhile, after demolishing every obstacle the NFL could have possibly put in their way to a repeat appearance in the AFC title game, the Bengals’ Joe Burrow had only one thing to say when asked about the disrespect of the past two weeks amid all the hype over a neutral site Buffalo-KC title game…

Buffalo needs to add a roof to that new stadium they’re building.

I saw Josh Allen passes just sorta sail slowly in the snowy weather. They hung up there long enough for the DB to be able to recover and make a play just as it got to the WR. In an indoor stadium? That pass is delivered and the WR is banking it into the end zone.

That final play was mindboggling.

I mean, it is likely something they had planned and practiced for, but fuck did it not work at all in a real game.

Which is so weird, because they probably could have just gone hail mary, I think that Dak has a fairly strong arm.

They were on their own 24 so not really feasible (not that there were any good options). It really hurt them that Schultz first went out of bounds moving backwards so the clock ran and then fucked up and stepped out of bounds before establishing in bounds on the other pass. If he hadn’t made those two mistakes they might have had a shot at a more traditional hail mary.

Football is best played in the snow.

Sure, just don’t build an air raid offense if you want to advance in January.

Better make sure that roof is sturdy enough to support the weight of several feet of snow.

Buffalo said they lost in Miami because it was hot. Now we think they lost in Buffalo because it was cold.

They’re doomed!

Bad weather teams usually build around power running games. Nobody does that anymore. And you are right, if your offense needs good weather then maybe you should rethink it. I will add however that for as long as I remember announcers have said that in bad weather the advantage in the passing game goes to the offense because it knows where the ball is going.

Cooper Rush is not the answer. As much as I like the dude, he’s good for a play-it-safe football strategy and can occasionally put in a good pressured drive. His play at the beginning of the year with Dak out was just good enough to win all those games (and, lest you forget, against the Bengals). But those games were at times just atrocious to actually watch.

Dak’s funky decision-making–worse this year seemingly than the last few–just winds up with dumb interceptions. I think mostly the two biggest issues with the offense aside from that is just that losing Pollard was really, really bad–he’s the dynamo, not Zeke. The other is that the receiving corps outside of Lamb is just not there, so if it’s extremely one-sided, you lose a lot of options. Schultz isn’t seasoned enough.

And for Maher, I have no idea why he self-destructed all of a sudden. The blocked PAT was only blocked because he was shanking it so hard a blocker way out of line got it. But then he made the two FGs so… I dunno. Was also classless of the 49ers to intentionally fuck up his practice.

For the most part the defense really turned up, which is a little more surprising than I thought originally. At it’s peak, during those games where Cooper was QB, they dominated opponents with crushing corner play and great run-stopping with decent QB pressure. But injuries mounted and despite some folks managing to make it back, it hasn’t been the same. In this game however… hard to ask more of them, considering how the 49ers offense has been trucking along for the last three months or so.

— Alan

Is that the team’s twitter account?

Yup.5