NFL: Detroit deserves to LOSE EVERY GAME

…until they get rid of those hideous black jerseys.

I turned MNF on last night and thought the Carolina Panthers were playing the Rams… turns out Detroit just decided to ‘modernize’ their uniforms by making a color that’s not even part of the team colors the primary color of their home jerseys… black?!?

I like Mariucci and Harrington, and being a softy for underdogs, tend to root for the Lions. But I will wish all kinds of evil upon that organization until they bring back the good old Lions Blue.

p.s. Garcia looks like he’s come down with a serious case of mange.

Yo yo! Black jerseys are the shizzle! Detroit is trying to start their own Raider
Nation.

Seems to me this is just more of the same from the clueless front-office management of Millen & co. that the Lions have been suffereing from… let’s just go ahead and undermine Harrington by saying he’ll be replaced by Garcia if he falters this year, that’ll help his confidence. Morons.

— Alan

What the hell else are they supposed to say to a QB who isn’t performing? Please do your best, but we won’t judge you on your performance?

Every QB in the NFL knows that the coaches will pull him if they think a backup QB will do better. It’s just the way the game is played. It often produces excellent results. Look at how Drew Brees suddenly came alive with the threat of Philip Rivers to prod him to new heights.

I’m not sure that anything could top the bizarre uniform that the Vancouver Canucks switched to.

I think Drew Brees came alive when they gave an offensive line that didn’t get torn up like wet tissue every single play. And it only took Schottenhemier like five goddamn years to fix that obvious, glaring weakness.

You don’t say jack shit, you let the coaches do the talking - whether or not it is really the head coach’s decision is immaterial. To let the front office openly speculate on a player’s future based on performance - the most important, most visible player on the team - is stupid. There are reasons other front offices don’t do that.

A quarterback knows that his performance will determine if he starts; Harrington is no dummy. It doesn’t help when your front office is openly working against you.

Every QB in the NFL knows that the coaches will pull him if they think a backup QB will do better. It’s just the way the game is played. It often produces excellent results. Look at how Drew Brees suddenly came alive with the threat of Philip Rivers to prod him to new heights.

Two words: contract year.

— Alan

You don’t say jack shit, you let the coaches do the talking - whether or not it is really the head coach’s decision is immaterial. To let the front office openly speculate on a player’s future based on performance - the most important, most visible player on the team - is stupid. There are reasons other front offices don’t do that.

A quarterback knows that his performance will determine if he starts; Harrington is no dummy. It doesn’t help when your front office is openly working against you.[/quote]

Yeah. Having the front office pick favorites and/or having a head coach remain ambivalent about who should start has almost always served as a detriment to a team’s performance, as history has shown. And I do mean “team.” Ofensive linemen aren’t just big dumb lunchboxes, they need to know what their QB is likely to do, since he’s behind them the whole time. Ever see a lineman look behind him? They don’t have that luxury. Rhythm between a QB and center is one of, if not the, most important elements of an offensive play. Good QBs will beg coaches to keep a center with whom they have a good repoire. Keep swapping out QBs and you risk losing or limiting that teamwork, and it adds up.

And, coaches do it too early, or too late. If you are going to start your rookie QB at any time in the upcoming season, do it on week fucking one and live with it. Or, give the incumbent a fair shake, since the performance of your entire club hangs inthe balance of it. What Tom Coughlin did was stupid, benching Kurt Warner and putting in Manning. Warner wasn’t stellar but he wasn’t pathetic either, and if going down 2-3 in the record book was the grounds for replacement, Manning should have practiced with the first team and started the season, since right now all it looks like is, he’s short about half a season’s experience.

The front office should shut the fuck up about it no matter what’s going on. I second the opinion that Matt Millen is the worst GM ever. Why does he still have a job?

[quote]Every QB in the NFL knows that the coaches will pull him if they think a backup QB will do better. It’s just the way the game is played. It often produces excellent results. Look at how Drew Brees suddenly came alive with the threat of Philip Rivers to prod him to new heights.

Two words: contract year.

— Alan[/quote]

Although indecisiveness is hazardous, the implied threat of competition has proven to be quite beneficial. I wouldn’t shuck off Brees’ performance spike or rationalize it away completely. I believe Rivers’ drafting and subsequent holdout which led to his benching had plenty to do with Brees’ performance. We’ve seen this before, it can’t all be a coincidence. Jon Kitna in Cincy, Gannon in KC (whereupon QB genius Schottenheimer picked Elvis Grbac over Gannon). Hell, you can watch it right now in San Fran, as Tim Rattay has been utterly outperforming Alex Smith. Football is silly competitive and tough, but players can get complacent. Anyway, if a player can’t get the job done to the best of his ability when he really really wants to (like, when someone might take his job), why would you want him playing on your team? Do you figure you’re Superbowl cailber with dudes like that starting for you?

[/quote]

Can’t exactly pussyfoot about with your QB. If he’s going to crumble at the first sign of competition a la Chris Redman, you really don’t want him leading your team.

What the hell else are they supposed to say to a QB who isn’t performing?

“Sorry you’ve had the worst receiving corps for a long time and no running game and a shitty OL”?

They got Rogers – IR. Then Roy Williams – rookie and injured. Rogers, IRed again. Az-Hakim? Good #3 WR, and that’s it. Look at everyone else – cast offs from other teams, unsigned free agents. No receiving tight end.

This is the first year that Harrington has even a semblance of a decent cast around him, and if Rogers, Williams, and Williams all stay healthy, and if Jones continues his awesome playd, they will be a forced to be reckoned with.

That said, I’m not 100% sold on Harrington either. Seems like a nice guy but is missing the spark that all great QBs have. I also thought he was drafted way, WAY too high, but not nearly as big a reach as Alex Smith.

Look at how Drew Brees suddenly came alive with the threat of Philip Rivers to prod him to new heights.

Brees was not a bad quarterback!. ARGH! Rivers is NOT the reason that Brees suddenly started playing, it was the combination of McCardell arriving and Gates emerging. Brees has always been a decent QB surrounded with NO weapons – Reche Caldwell, Tim Dwight, and David ‘Don’t Hit My Nipples!’ Boston as your top 3 receivers? Even last year it was, what, Eric Parker & the aging McCardell?

Gates pretty much single handedly made Brees look like a genius. Rivers had nothing to do with it. Statistically Brees has better average season stats than any other of Marty’s QBs historically. Maybe it’s Marty?

Redman was ruined by Billick, and so has/will every QB that plays for him. Billick demeans his QBs; that’s not competition, that’s belittling. And so they all come in cocky, and they leave terrified. In practices, he puts them down, not in a confidence building way (as most coaches do) but in a way that crushes them. The lack of a good QB in Baltimore is not coincidence…it all comes from Billick. You don’t tell your QB not to make mistakes…you tell him to make plays. There is a huge difference there, and Billick, though supposedly an offensive genius, has never gotten that. The Ravens will improve dramatically once they get rid of Billick.

Yes, it can be a coincidence. Did Redman explode because he had competition? Did Griese do great because Simms was pushing him, or did he do abysmally because Fiedler was pushing him? There are just way, WAY too many variables at play to say that someone is playing well because he’s “being pushed” or it’s a “contract year”.

as Tim Rattay has been utterly outperforming Alex Smith.

Tim Rattay was never a bad player, and drafting Smith was just mind bogglingly stupid. Rattay’s knock wasn’t his play, it was his injuries. But given that OL, no running game, and one of the worst receiving corps in the entire NFL, it’s to be expected that any QB there is going to get fucked.

It pisses me off that players with a lot of potential who get put into completely fucked situations are just branded as failures. Patrick Ramsey comes to mind. People are now saying that David Carr has to “step up” even though his first year he had no receiving weapons and now they only have Andre Johnson. Garcia largely failed in Cleveland because A.) Davis asked him to do things he wasn’t good at doing and B.) he had a group of #3 receivers and C.) no running game.

People claim that Chris Chambers has underperformed to his potential, but no matter how good you are as a receiver you need a QB that can A.) get you the ball (which Feeley and Fiedler could not) and B.) an O-line that can protect the QB long enough for him to finish his 5 or 7 step drop.

If you look at the really good QBs in this league you will see certain common elements: decent receivers, an insane offensive line, and a solid running game. The only notable exception is Kansas City in that they have very average receivers who have YEARS to get open.

Likability is a big part of the blame game. The media loves McNabb, so they never blamed him for sucking, they blamed his shitty receivers. But Brees, Rattay, and Garcia are called out for “underperforming” even though they had receivers as bad as McNabb’s.

To some degree, yes and no. I agree Billick is an asshole, but at the same time he’s a good coach that knows how to take advantage of the strengths of his team.

I think he consciously undermined Redman because he was not his pick – that was an Ozzie pick. Billick is practically giving Boller blowjobs on national TV right now, and somehow Billick comes up with all the excuses for Boller. Why? Because Billick wanted Boller, even ahead of Leftwich ( whom Ozzie said they would have drafted if he was available).

He got Boller due to that trade, and now has to make sure he succeeds or his reputation is on the line. You can skate for a while on an SB victory, but Gruden is already on thin ice and his victory is a lot fresher than Billick’s.

So, why did Boller suck last year? According to Billick, it’s because Lewis and Heap were hurt, and there was no receiving corps. Yet amazingly enough those shitty receivers end up leaving and doing pretty well elsewhere (Stokely, Robinson).

This year Boller has zero excuses. Zero. He has Mason, one of the best receivers in football; one of the top three pass catching TEs in the league; one of the top 3 running backs in the league; and a decent line. He has every weapon imaginable, and if he can’t produce this year – time to trade.

I’m waiting to see if they pick up Rohan Davey of the waiver wire.

I found the Lions’ “jailbreak” style of blocking last night to be an interesting technique. I think when I start coaching pee wee leagues, I’ll implement something similar: “Just let the guy ahead of you get past you, then stand around and look for someone else to block.”

I mean, if you want to make your QB look bad…

My alma mater (UofIowa) ran a lot of that last year and did pretty well with it (10-2). But it still scared the hell out me everytime they ran it.

Addressing the initial part of the rant, those jerseys are the “3rd” (or home alternate) that every team is allowed to have and wear for 1 home preseason game and 2 home regular season games.

Often, they look horrible. The Lions new 3rd (previously they wore the throbacks and then only on Thanksgiving), the Eagles black, the Browns’ blinding orange (same with the Broncos).

The whole point is to have more gear to sell. It works, so teams do it.

Why do these third uniforms always have to be black? Man, I want a return to the day-glo 70s already.

The Cowboys’ “third” uniform was mostly white and blue and big giant stars on the shoulder pads. They sucked ass.

They always seemed to lose with them on too.

— Alan

Chargers powder blues: Best. Uniforms. Ever.

powder blue = puke. Too UCLA-ish. And that’s not a good thing.

But the Chargers do have pretty spiffy uniforms.

I’m pretty sure that black is often the color of choice because the Raiders are frequently near the top in terms of “gear” revenue, and they have black jerseys (hald the time). Marketing says “black is hip”, and off we go.