NFL Offseason 2009

Reports are popping up that Gruden has been fired by Tampa. Interesting timing, to wait this long after the end of the season.

Not only him, but they got rid of GM Bruce Allen as well.

Just heard that myself.

One wonders if this has anything to do with Tony Dungy ‘retiring’? He still lives in Tampa.

From what I heard later it sounds like the Glazer family is just slow in its decision making process. The weird aspect of the story was the naming of the new defensive coordinator hours earlier, only to fire the head coach and GM later. Nobody knows if the new guy is staying or what.

I heard Jay Glazer on the radio and he claimed the basically the Glazers decided that with the late season collapses the last two seasons plus Jeff Garcia being a free agent with no QB behind him and with Gruden not showing any sign of being able to develop young QBs that they were better off blowing the whole thing up and starting over. We’ll have to see what happens, but one possibility is that the Glazers will allow for a Coach/GM combo that other teams are not willing to consider that might get the interest of guys like Shanahan, Cowher, and Holmgren.

And Dallas fired their DC, despite Jones’s insistence that the staff would stay intact. I love the faux indignation he exhibited when asked if there would be any coach firings. And now…boom.

He never said there wouldn’t be coach firings. He said he was not firing Wade Phillips, and he hasn’t. He said that however there would be changes and now he’s fired the special teams coach and the DC. Jason Garrett is rumored to be going to the Rams also.

Really? That’s not how I would interpret quotes like this:

Of course, having a guy move to a HC somewhere is another matter. But the quote suggested that the coaching staff was all safe.

Not that I’m the kind of person to defend Jerry Jones, but there is a difference between an owner or GM saying the staff is safe and what a head coach may later decide. Jones’ statement can be interpreted as saying that he wasn’t going to make changes, but that does not mean that Wade Phillips isn’t allowed to make changes. There were many reports that Phillips stepped in and basically took direct control of the defense part way through the season after they started off poorly and if that is the case then you can see why he might decide a new DC was necessary.

So you’re saying that Wade “Uhhhhh” Phillips stormed into Jerry Jones’ office and insisted he fire the DC and Jerry complied? Hey, it’s not entirely impossible, I suppose. It sure would change my opinion of Phillips!

So much for that talk. They hired the new DC, Raheem Morris, as head coach. Quite the rise for a guy who was DB coach last season, has never been a head coach, and was a coordinator at Kansas State for one year as his highest previous level of coaching. Oh, and he’s 32.

I liked this quote from the press conference best:

Raheem can relate to today’s NFL player," Glazer added. "The game has changed a lot. It’s always changing. … If you don’t adapt to those changes, you can’t compete.

Poor Gruden, out of touch with today’s player at 45.

Say what you want about Wade, but this is his third NFL head coaching job. He can’t be a complete tool of ownership. I’m not saying he’s a great head coach, but despite the popular opinion he did lead the Broncos to the playoffs in one of the two years he was there and two of the three years he was in Buffalo. Counting Dallas his teams have been to the playoffs in four of his seven head coaching seasons. It can’t have been all luck.

Morris is a weird hire, I just don’t get it. Considering the timing of the hiring/firing, it sounds like a move they were planning to make. But I wonder what gave them the impression that Morris was the man?

Apologies, Sarkus, but that’s flawed reasoning: Barry Switzer went to the playoffs 3 of 4 years as an NFL head coach, and won a Superbowl. It can’t have been all luck, either!

Who said it was? Besides, Switzer did have a good track record as a college coach. That said, it’s not a fair comparison: Switzer took over a single team that had just won two Superbowls. Phillips has had success with three different organizations. That’s why you can’t really say he’s just been “lucky.”

I understand, but my point is coaching records don’t always tell the entire story. He’s also clearly not the right guy for the mess that is the Cowboys. It’s weird for Jones to want to play the “continuity” card, when Phillips has done nothing but encourage this team to underachieve.

Though as a Redskins fan, I’m utterly supportive of Phillips’ continued involvement with the Cowboys’ franchise.

I’m not attacking Wade as a coach per se. I think his defensive scheming is what gave Dallas what chance it had to make the playoffs this season, and I think it is a scheme that could probably be successful with just about any team. The important person in this scenario is Jerry Jones. Not even Bill Parcells stood up to Jerry Jones after the first season, it’s just hard to believe Wade did. Although, again, it’d be awesome if he did and I’d have a lot more respect for him.

The interest he was getting for other openings probably forced their hand. Mike Tomlin was only a DC for a year too.

Wrong damn thread!

Texas Judge gives 7 year old right to decide custody.

Dallas, TX, January 16, 2009

A seven year old boy was at the center of a county courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him. The boy had a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him. After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Dallas Cowboys, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

Interesting rumors on Dan Patrick’s show today. Apparently there is some thought Gruden will end up at Notre Dame with the Weiss fired after letter of intent day. The other rumor says the Cowboys were hoping Garret would end up somewhere else and that Jones is pondering bringing in Shanahan and cleaning house.